Do Me And/Or My Passport Have To Go To Phnom Penh For Double Entry?

I already bought an Asian Air ticket for Phnom Pehn in case I needed it at the US airport. I took a visa run by minivan last time and it was fine except for passing on the left, not worth it for me.

So if I want to do it myself, do I have to fly to to PPehn? Or can I just get it at the border? Seems like they took my passport to PPehn last time while we stayed at the hotel. Thanks

1) If you already have a ticket to PP then why not just do it yourself? Also how did you get a ticket? Is it an open flight ticket for any day or did you coordinate it with when your visa expires?

2) What do you mean by "It was fine except for passing on the left was not worth it"?

As of two weeks ago, the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh is NOT issuing double-entry tourist visas. This was confirmed by two travel agencies, who charge a fee to do the legwork, and the Embassy guard, who has a going business doing one-day turnarounds for $20 + visa cost ($40) = $60 total, pick up next day. In all cases, it was, "New government, new rules. No can do." The guard was utterly reliable, and the $20 was worth not having to deal with Embassy staff.

What do you mean by "It was fine except for passing on the left was not worth it"?

I guess he's referring to the reckless driving involved with these mini-bus visa runs.

I've heard they fly along and disregard any usual rules of the road (so what's new), such as overtaking on the left side

That's my interpretation anyway, might have missed the point completely

Edited by Sammy80

I bought an open ticket to make sure I didn't get stopped at the counter flying over here since my R/T is for 6 months. It does coordinate with my 30 day exemption but if I don't use it that's OK too. I'd still have to stay in Phnom Penh and get back, which might be OK. One time United Air stopped at the counter in the U.S. because I did not have a 6 month visa. me and I had to buy a one way refundable ticket right then and there! I did refund it of course. I just flew Asiana last week from the U.S. and no mention of it!

I meant passing on the right, it's crazy in those mini-vans. Anyway, does this mean at least for now, no double entry visa's from Cambodia? Leaving me with going to Laos or Malaysia or other ? Thanks !

I would highly recommend Savanakhet in Laos who is NOW doing the double entry and is also a nice Consulate to go to. English speaking and very helpful people and a very relaxing town.

You were smart to buy the ongoing ticket to PP.

Yes those mini vans are crazy. I would never take one any more with all the recent fatal accidents over the past few months.

Why didn't you get a visa in the USA before you came here? that would have been the easiest. your next trip here you should consider getting your visa in the USA before comming here. Also if you have visa already the airline will not hassle you.

I did go to the consulate in Miami, basically an American lawyer working for Thailand part time (like 4 hours a day, 3 days a week or something). She was nice but basically she could only get me a double entry, she knew nothing of the 30 day/1900 baht extension, and she wanted air tickets which I did not have yet.

Had I been able to go to a bigger embassy I probably could have done better. I originally thought I could get a non-imm O without any sponsor but soon found out I could not.

So really my only concern now is, must I go to somewhere other than Cambo. I'm close to Pattaya so that would be easiest plus my gf's village is fairly close. I'm going to go over to the place I did it with in 2010 (Inter Cambodia) and see what they say. I would like to go to Lao though, always heard good things. Thanks to all and if anymore info double entry in Cambodia comes up, please let me know.

I did go to the consulate in Miami, basically an American lawyer working for Thailand part time (like 4 hours a day, 3 days a week or something). She was nice but basically she could only get me a double entry, she knew nothing of the 30 day/1900 baht extension, and she wanted air tickets which I did not have yet.

Had I been able to go to a bigger embassy I probably could have done better. I originally thought I could get a non-imm O without any sponsor but soon found out I could not.

So really my only concern now is, must I go to somewhere other than Cambo. I'm close to Pattaya so that would be easiest plus my gf's village is fairly close. I'm going to go over to the place I did it with in 2010 (Inter Cambodia) and see what they say. I would like to go to Lao though, always heard good things. Thanks to all and if anymore info double entry in Cambodia comes up, please let me know.

if you very quick , today 26 Feb. LAST day with airasia you can BOOK to fly PP For a good 2250 BHT return (if Skipp the insurance and seat picking traps ) and if travel date offer suit your time to go

Edited by david555

I also got refused a double entry in Cambodia. Are they giving them out in Laos now? Can someone whose been recently let us know where/if they have got a double entry and what info you needed. Last time I was in Cambodia they wanted flight tickets out of Thailand, bank statments and hotel reservations, which took me a few days to organise. It is to do with the new rules! I have done the tourist visa thing for a while now in Laos and Cambodia, this was the first time they insisted on all this paperwork.

Good luck

I also got refused a double entry in Cambodia. Are they giving them out in Laos now? Can someone whose been recently let us know where/if they have got a double entry and what info you needed. Last time I was in Cambodia they wanted flight tickets out of Thailand, bank statments and hotel reservations, which took me a few days to organise. It is to do with the new rules! I have done the tourist visa thing for a while now in Laos and Cambodia, this was the first time they insisted on all this paperwork.

Good luck

Phnom Penh stopped issuing 2x entries months ago. I got my last one there in September 2011, it was also one of the very last double entries that was issued period.

On a brighter note, singles are easy to get now, but I advise to use an agent. Only requirement needed is a copy of a return ticket back to Thailand. No more hotel bookings/bank statements needed (when using an agent...not sure if that's the case when dealing with the Thai embassy yourself).

I was there 2 weeks ago, so this info is recent.

How much are they charging for the single entry. How much if u use an agent?

Application fee for Single Entry Tourist Visa is THB1,000.-.

No need to use agent.

It's US$ 40.00 for a single entry.

With an agent a 2 day turnover costs $17.00. This gets cheaper if you have more time.

Using an agent is fully worth it if you don't want to deal with the embassy staff. Drop off your passport and photo and pick up the next afternoon. As I don't want anything to do with Thai bureaucracy it's money well spent.

How much are they charging for the single entry. How much if u use an agent?

Application fee for Single Entry Tourist Visa is THB1,000.-.

No need to use agent.

It's US$ 40.00 for a single entry.

With an agent a 2 day turnover costs $17.00. This gets cheaper if you have more time.

Using an agent is fully worth it if you don't want to deal with the embassy staff. Drop off your passport and photo and pick up the next afternoon. As I don't want anything to do with Thai bureaucracy it's money well spent.

Sorry, update, Visa fee for Single Entry Tourist Visa at Thai Embassy in Laos is THB1,000.- and no need to use agent.

Visa fee for Single Entry Tourist Visa at Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh is USD 40.-, and between USD10 to USD20.- extra if use agent. Yes, it is worthwhile to spend that addl money for the agent.

I would highly recommend Savanakhet in Laos who is NOW doing the double entry and is also a nice Consulate to go to. English speaking and very helpful people and a very relaxing town.

You were smart to buy the ongoing ticket to PP.

Yes those mini vans are crazy. I would never take one any more with all the recent fatal accidents over the past few months.

My son is in need of a new visa next week .. he recived a red stamp at vientiene last time (even with only 1 previos tourist visa). so vientiene is out of the question ..

could he get a double entry at Savanakhet ? even with the red stamp from the other laos office ?

I'm not ging to predict. A stamp denying doesn't mean that other cosulates will also deny, but they will see it and might take it in consideration.

But he has no toher option than to try. He might get a double there, but might get a single.

• 2 weeks later...
What do you mean by "It was fine except for passing on the left was not worth it"?

I guess he's referring to the reckless driving involved with these mini-bus visa runs.

I've heard they fly along and disregard any usual rules of the road (so what's new), such as overtaking on the left side

That's my interpretation anyway, might have missed the point completely

You got it right, the mini-bus drivers can be total idiots. My last trip back from Vientiane our driver got into a game of tag with another idiot coming down the mountain side around 3 in the morning on a wet road. Idiot number one bounced off one of the concrete guard rails and almost hit us to boot. Our bone head driver decided to take some responsibility for his recklessness and decided to tow the other van down the mountain side with a pencil thin piece of rope and a 2 meter long piece of bamboo. Total idiocy in every way. This game of tag added about 2 hours to our travel time and about 5 years to my age...

Edited by DowntownAl