90 Day Visit. Reg Visa & Extend Or Non-imm

I am ready to purchase airline tickets to visit Thailand for 90 days. Tourist activities but am also seriously considering having surgery in Chiang Mai. My husband and I are recently retired and have considered retiring in Thailand. He has been once and loves it but I need to visit first and see if I can handle the heat and humidity.

I need to have airline tickets to apply for Visa and want to make sure that I am doing everything correct. I want to fly out on Jan 4, 2005 and the prices keep increasing. Need to purchase tickets soon.

I have read your visa section and also looked at information at the Consulate site for our area. From my reading it appears that I can:

1) - Apply for Non-Immigrant Visa, Single-Entry in US.

I think this is my best bet but my visit doesn't fit into any of the categories.

This is from the Consulate web site.

Purpose of visit :

- To conduct business and conference / to work (Category “B”)

- To study (Category “ED”)

- To visit family (Category “O”)

- To conduct scientific research or training (Category “RS”)

- To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai ministries or Government Departments concerned (Category “R”)

- To work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter (Category “M”)

- To perform official duties (Category “F”)

- Other activities (Category “O”)

I appear to be an "O" (other).

Is it possible for me to send a cover letter with my Visa application stating why I want to stay 90 days?

2) - Apply for a regular Tourist Visa (60 days) and extend it for an additional 30 days in Thailand.

I am concerned that our plane tickets will show 90 days visit. Will this cause us any problem when applying for Tourist Visa, since the Tourist Visa is only 60 days?

Would it be best to apply for regular Tourist Visa in US or in Thailand? Am concerned about having to travel to immigration office (in Kingdom) to deal with getting an extention since I am currently using a walker or wheelchair.

Thank you for any advise you can give.

Apply for a single entry Non-Immigant O ckass visa with the purpose of visit Retirement

Thank you. As soon as I find the best flight I will book it and then fill out the Visa Application for a Non-Immigrant Visa. I will include your suggestion in the line for Purpose of visit.

I know I shouldn't worry so much. There is no reason for my Non-Immigrant Visa request to be denied. I just want everything to be perfect for this trip. I have been waiting a very long time to visit Thailand.

Now, if I could only find a reasonably priced flight that doesn't have a long layover someplace. I'm finding prices from $1,756 to over $2,000 with several stops and from 1.5 to 7 hour layovers. Current flight plan will take me 26 hours to get to Thailand. Makes for a very long trip but once we arrive I can rest.

I live in a small town and we currently have over a foot of snow on the ground. No airport in our town but there is a small airport about 20 miles away, in an even smaller town. Husband is on the roof right now chipping ice buildup off. Thailand will be a total change in weather.

The climate varies in different parts of Thailand.

If you are worried about the heat then ChiangMai and ChiangRai have the coolest weather but you need to get into the hills for the temperature to really drop.

Thank you, Thetyim. I chose Chiang Mai for medical treatment because of the cooler wheather and we are going to spend a few days at a lovely bed and breakfast type place in Chiang Rai. Found it in the ThaiVisa Forum.

I am still trying to find the best flights. Just had a horrible experience using Kayak.com. I found what I thought was the best flight for the price. When I selected book, I was sent to another site, where I filled in all of my personal and credit card info. When I submitted I got a server error. Called the 800 number on the site and was referred to another number. Second number turned out to be a phone sex number. Very embarrassing. Called the non 800 number and when the message got to the place where you were supposed to leave a message the call was disconnected. I just checked my credit card account on-line and it doesn't show any activity. Not what I wanted to happen at all.

Please email me directly if you have ideas of where to stay. I appreciate your assistance. Deborah

As said visa should not be a problem as long as you have some type. This is really not the time of year to make judgements of the weather type as humidity is low and temp is also. But a good time to visit.

Do question choice of Chiang Mai if surgery is anything complex as the best medical care is found in Bangkok and it sure does not matter where you are in an air conditioned room. But if dental or cosmetic Chiang Mai should be fine.

Have you contacted the discount ticket places that advertise in Sunday travel sections of major newspapers? They usually can provide much better price than internet. You are at a high travel time but believe they would be worth the telephone call to check.

As said visa should not be a problem as long as you have some type.  This is really not the time of year to make judgements of the weather type as humidity is low and temp is also.  But a good time to visit.

Do question choice of Chiang Mai if surgery is anything complex as the best medical care is found in Bangkok and it sure does not matter where you are in an air conditioned room.  But if dental or cosmetic Chiang Mai should be fine.

Have you contacted the discount ticket places that advertise in Sunday travel sections of major newspapers?  They usually can provide much better price than internet.  You are at a high travel time but believe they would be worth the telephone call to check.

Thank you for your information, Lopburi3. I spent several hours researching flights and finally booked two flights. One flight to get me to a town with an international airport. I found a hotel for the night with free airport shuttle. Then take off next morning for BKK, with only 2 layovers. Same for return trip. Husband was very tired of having me ask him if the flights I found looked okay and a couple of times the flights were full by the time I tried to book. Prices went up over the course of the day. Very exhausting work.

I don't subscribe to a major newspaper so was unable to check out any travel sections. Our local newspaper doesn't have any travel ads other than for local companies.

Will be coming to Thailand on Jan 4, 2006 and returning April 3, 2006. I'm glad that this is a good time to visit.

I will take your information about medical care under consideration. I will do research when I arrive. Surgery shouldn't be complex (I hope).

Now that I have my e-tickets I can fill out my Visa application and send it off. Need to find a local place to get photos for Visa. We have a Kinkos in town, they should take photos.

Deborah

Will be coming to Thailand on Jan 4, 2006 and returning April 3, 2006.

Good! That’s making full use of your visa. Upon arrival in Thailand on January 4 your passport will be stamped with permission to stay until April 3.

Enjoy your visit to Thailand!