Travelling With Thai Born Child

mussen

My Son was born here in Thailand (Thai mother, Australian Father, not married). He has an Australian birth certificate and passport. If I wish to travel overseas with him without the Mother, do I need any special documentation from his Mother before leaving? eg: permission to leave Thailand?

Yes, my recommendation is that you get the documents required. I have left Thailand alone with my daughter three times the past month and I have been asked to show documentation each time. My daughter does not have my family name.

The different family name would have bee a "trigger" in your case.

Immigration puts a lot of attention to human traficking.

Yes, absolutely. Three times out of three the past month when flying out of Suvarnbhumi.

Yes, my recommendation is that you get the documents required. I have left Thailand alone with my daughter three times the past month and I have been asked to show documentation each time. My daughter does not have my family name.

Thanks for your replies. My Son has my surname, what documents would immigration be satisfied with? I was thinking a letter from his Mum? Can I ask if your daughter was leaving on a Thai passport?

Thanks for your replies. My Son has my surname, what documents would immigration be satisfied with? I was thinking a letter from his Mum? Can I ask if your daughter was leaving on a Thai passport?

Yes, she left om a Thai passport.

I carry a legal copy of the birth certificate (I also have a legalised translated version) along with a written statement from the mother where she consents to me bringing her out of Thailand. The document has a signed copy of her passport.

I recommend a letter from mum giving permisison with a signed copy of her ID and contact details.

The passport doesn't matter, but fahter and child both travelling under a different passport might be another "trigger" for closer inspection. Anyway, a Thai should leave and enter Thailand on the Thai passport and the country of the other nationality on that countries passport.

hi,

would i be able to take my thai daughter out of thailand if i'm not legal father ?

i'm from the u.k and our daughter has my surname and 2 passports.

would i be able to write a letter in english and just get our childs mother to sign it ?

You would indeed need permisison form the mother. A letter in English signed by the mother will be fine, but maybe add a signed copy of her ID-card and a contact number for her. And do take a copy of the birth certificate with you.

Leave and enter Thailand on the Thai paspsort and enter and leave the UK on the UK passport. At the airport show both paspsorts to the airline, so they know no visa is required.

In BKK you can join your child in the Thai nationals line for passport control, leaveing and entering.

In BKK you can join your child in the Thai nationals line for passport control, leaveing and entering.

Actually, when you travel with small children and have to pass through immigration, they will direct you to a desk dedicated to disabled and families. Of all the airports I have traveled to, Suvarnabhumi is the only airport where they treat children this way. Hats off!!

Didn't get asked the last time I traveled. My daughter has the same name as myself. Interestingly, it was during the stop over in Mumbai that I got asked, as they couldn't fathom why my daughter was only traveling with me, and not her mother as well. With the UK Visa application, I did have to get Mother written permission at the application process.

Human trafficking is one of the prime concerns and a major focus point of immigration in Thailand, that is way people travelling with a child with a different last name as themselves can expect to be questions.

If you have the same last name, chances are you will not be questioned.

The different family name would have bee a "trigger" in your case.

Immigration puts a lot of attention to human traficking.

Yes, absolutely. Three times out of three the past month when flying out of Suvarnbhumi.

It cuts both ways, my child, born out of wedlock, and not legitimized here, has my surname on both her thai and CAD passports. her mother has been asked to show proof in the form of the birth certificate that the child is hers when travelling without me.

Very bizarre experience the other day at Heathrow; About to board the plane with my daughter when I was approached by four (4!) heavily armed (machine guns and bullet proof vests) policemen who first asked me for my name name and following my answer told me to step aside. You can imagine the embarrassment when every single person queuing up to board watched how an apparent and dangerous villain was apprehended. I was brought 100 yards from the gate to a secluded area and there asked "Mr.******", do you have any idea why we are interested in you?". "None what so ever", I answered.

I was told that BA staff had alerted the police of the difference in surnames a couple of days earlier when I bought the tickets. A COUPLE OF DAYS!!! "You are traveling alone with a child who is not yours, yes?" It took the police just under 30 minutes to verify the documentation and allow me to board the plane.

BA and/or the police had 3 days to verify the identity of my daughter, but they choose to wait until I am about to board the plane and "arrest" me in front of all passengers.

Another great performance of Britain's finest. Words like idiots, morons and a serious case of ineptifuc_kintuidness comes to mind.

Very bizarre experience the other day at Heathrow; About to board the plane with my daughter when I was approached by four (4!) heavily armed (machine guns and bullet proof vests) policemen who first asked me for my name name and following my answer told me to step aside. You can imagine the embarrassment when every single person queuing up to board watched how an apparent and dangerous villain was apprehended. I was brought 100 yards from the gate to a secluded area and there asked "Mr.******", do you have any idea why we are interested in you?". "None what so ever", I answered.

I was told that BA staff had alerted the police of the difference in surnames a couple of days earlier when I bought the tickets. A COUPLE OF DAYS!!! "You are traveling alone with a child who is not yours, yes?" It took the police just under 30 minutes to verify the documentation and allow me to board the plane.

BA and/or the police had 3 days to verify the identity of my daughter, but they choose to wait until I am about to board the plane and "arrest" me in front of all passengers.

Another great performance of Britain's finest. Words like idiots, morons and a serious case of ineptifuc_kintuidness comes to mind.

I would file an official complaint against the police for going with 4 armed police officers and so intimidating you, your child and mebarrising both of you by proceeding in such way.

• 10 months later...

Slightly different situation but would like to be sure none he less.

I have custody of my son from the Amphur when I divorced my wife, do I need to have her permission to travel or would carrying the documentation suffice?

The reason I ask is because when renewing his passport the embassy didn't recognise custody from the Amphur, only from a court and I had to have her sign the application.

No one wants to get hung up at the airport enroute to a holiday. Good to be sure. I could easily get her permission if needed but would like to think I am ok to travel without needing her blessing....

He is 11 and has my surname.

Him having your surname means that a check is unlikely. If they check probably at most they wil ask him to confirm you are his father and you are on your way.

From the amphur you can get a khor rhor 13 (?) form, stating you have sole custody. You need that form to apply for a Thai passport for the child without the mother.

The embassy means your country, they indeed might not recognise sole custody gotten at the amphur.

If your child has his Thai passport, you can pass together with him through the immigration lines for Thai nationals.

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken my child with thai passport out of this country three times without the mother, and have never been asked for any additional documentation. The first two times were at land borders and the last time at the airport. We have same surname.

I read somewhere that if the child's passport shows that he has left the country at least once you wont get hassled for any special documentation. Also I have the impression that at the land crossings the attitude is very relaxed, so if your first trip out of the country is at one of these you may never get hassled.

I have taken my child with thai passport out of this country three times without the mother, and have never been asked for any additional documentation. The first two times were at land borders and the last time at the airport. We have same surname.

I read somewhere that if the child's passport shows that he has left the country at least once you wont get hassled for any special documentation. Also I have the impression that at the land crossings the attitude is very relaxed, so if your first trip out of the country is at one of these you may never get hassled.

Very relaxed is an understatement......our child across a land border and they did not even stamp or look at her passport...she walked on through.