Mini Cooper

farangme

Obviously the taxes...duh...but I thought they applied the high tax rate to luxury cars and cars with large engines, neither of which is a mini. Sorry...was looking for a more informed response.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Duh?? You asked and I answered why the smart a$% reply?? Apparently since the only other response you got was an agreement with an inclusion it must have been pretty well informed but Ok then the car is an import NOT manufactured in Thailand so the TAXES are very high and it has duty added too, comprehensive enough for you? Imports back in the states do not carry the import and duties anywhere close to what they do here in Thailand and many more models and brands are manufacturered there..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Cars that do not have a close connection to Thailand, either manufactured here, or a local import, ie most European cars suffer a huge import tax, something like 200%, no doubt someone will come along with exact figures and vehicles, but in layman's terms that's it.

Duh because taxes and duties are obvious. Was looking for the reason behind it, i.e. ALL imports now have excessive duties/taxes, non-Asean trade agreements, etc. Years ago these high fees only applied to specific imports like luxury and performance cars, not inexpensive econo cars with small engines. Was curious what the current criteria was that commanded a doubling/tripling in price. As I've been asked by many Thais, thought it would be nice to explain why other than 'taxes'.

Duh because taxes and duties are obvious. Was looking for the reason behind it, i.e. ALL imports now have excessive duties/taxes, non-Asean trade agreements, etc. Years ago these high fees only applied to specific imports like luxury and performance cars, not inexpensive econo cars with small engines. Was curious what the current criteria was that commanded a doubling/tripling in price. As I've been asked by many Thais, thought it would be nice to explain why other than 'taxes'.

New cars have always been subject to over 200% import duty's, I think it is even closer to 300%, no distiction made between luxury or not.

Their are significant differences in tax rates for different models, configurations and engine displacements. I think the taxes are particularly high on the Mini because it is considered a sports car, which (I think) is one of if not the highest duty classification.

Thanks Dave. The sports car classification could account for the two million baht price in TL, even though its only 600,000 in America. Funny how the Jazz, Corolla, Mazda2, and such all are in the same range as the mini in the US. The mini is the funnest in this group. But a sports car? Driving it takes me back to my first car...a used brown 1973 Honda Civic...but obviously light years ahead in terms of technology. Even has interior mood lighting.

Thanks. Was looking for the details rather than just 'taxes'.

But there's no simple straight forward answer to your question as was displayed which is WHY I summarized. Even when you're told the answer was correct if not brief, you still ramble on insisting otherwise.. As MRO also mentioned there is no special taxes related to it being considered a sports car either..

Which was the alternate explanation you ultimately opted for so share that info with your Thai friends and look the right fool.. giggle.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed

I'd say you look the fool warpy as you continue to reply to something to which you continue to add no further value. A one word response for something that is conviluded and complex, like auto import duty variances, is a condescending, smart a## response. If that is the extent of your value to add and you get so obviously insulted that you weren't treated as a wise old sage, well don't respond. Some of us look to obtain more substantive knowledge than the superficial obvious. A response like "taxes...next..." is just plain lame. No further replies desired from you please. You're obviously a very busy and important man. Time to feed your cat...

Don't see the BMW thing as any different than Lexus, Mercedes, etc, etc. Doubt most Thais even know mini is owned by BMW. They are impressed by anything expensive. The fact it looks unique and 'cute' adds further desirability for them. Regardless, don't see what this has to do with the Thai price unless dealers add 1.5 million to the price for cuteness.

Don't see the BMW thing as any different than Lexus, Mercedes, etc, etc. Doubt most Thais even know mini is owned by BMW. They are impressed by anything expensive. The fact it looks unique and 'cute' adds further desirability for them. Regardless, don't see what this has to do with the Thai price unless dealers add 1.5 million to the price for cuteness.

Most Thais don't buy Mini's.

• Like 1

Watched a motoring program the other night and it had a thing on the BMW ''mini''. The bloke kept mentioning John Cooper, which is where the Cooper in Mini Cooper comes from.

I was a bit pissed off cos the BMW ''mini'' has absolutely nothing in common with the original BMC Mini. All it has is a couple of retro similarities in the cockpit and the rest is just a small BMW car.

Its actually very simple.

Minis are imported, therefore they incur import tax, which is very large, which means the sale price is very high.

It's only simple to thinking people like you and everyone else except the OP...I said the same thing and my original response was spot on and as brief and to the point as I could make it and now it's a smart a!$ answer to the a$........erm......... OP........... You just can't help some people....

JFYI OP based on the responses you've gotten thus far it would seem your opinion of my response and me looking the fool has fallen on blind eyes as it's certain many of these members would not pass up the chance to lambaste me if it applied but instead have reinforced my position on your thread and responses.

So, you could have the character to make it right and move on OR you could just continue to look the fool.. Up to you...

I find myself smiling at the irony here as usually I'm lambasted for long convoluted responses. Now I write a 2 word answer and look what happens?? :cheesy:

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Would I be correct in saying that all cars in USA are cheaper than elsewhere?

Suppose it's to do with volume. 2012 Porsche 911Carrerra S costs $263,000 in Australia and I'm pretty sure they're under $100,000 in the US. When Australia was going to export it's Commodore to the states as a Pontiac G8. It was going to be $10,000 cheaper than Australia.

Would I be correct in saying that all cars in USA are cheaper than elsewhere?

Suppose it's to do with volume. 2012 Porsche 911Carrerra S costs $263,000 in Australia and I'm pretty sure they're under $100,000 in the US. When Australia was going to export it's Commodore to the states as a Pontiac G8. It was going to be $10,000 cheaper than Australia.

You'd not be very far off if there are any that are more expensive it'd be a rare bird at least where the common everyday car is concerned if you left out the exotics.. Of course if you had to buy a grey market to DOT conversion that would probably run you a buck or 2 more then some places like Europe for example..