Day Trip To The Beach

stailmanki

I have a rental car next week & want to take a day trip south to a nice beach.

I don’t think Koh Samet or Koh Chang would be feasible , the latter is to far & the former too crowded , also I’m not sure if you can take a car to Koh Samet for the day.

I have researched & narrowed my choices down to a few in Rayong & the Laem Sing area in Chantaburi. I would rather not waste time driving around until I find somewhere good.

Does anybody have suggestions for a nice quiet beach , hopefully with some fishing opportunities within a day’s drive of Pattaya ?

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.

This might help a bit. I like the beaches in Ban Chang. Some great restaurants there and nice beaches. Bang Saray is pretty nice also. You can sit under the trees with a small table and they will bring food and beer out for you. Nice long beach.

Fishing. Do you have your own gear? Just fishing from the beach?

This might help a bit. I like the beaches in Ban Chang. Some great restaurants there and nice beaches. Bang Saray is pretty nice also. You can sit under the trees with a small table and they will bring food and beer out for you. Nice long beach.

Fishing. Do you have your own gear? Just fishing from the beach?

Thanks , I have heard that it's OK for a <snip> at Ban Chang from guys who live there ( they never go to the beach) I will check out the beachs there & at Bang Saray.

I have my own beach fishing gear. I can usually get something, even at Jomtien.

It's a challenge in Thailand , using bait jigs nearly always works.

Edited by metisdead
Inappropriate innuendo removed.

Turn into navy base in sattahip, which is a right turn at traffic lights past bang saray, there are several nice beaches within the base. post-121798-133022702631_thumb.jpg

I have heard many good things about this beach but as of yet have not been. i hear you need to surrender your passport to the attendant at the gates to the base upon entry (and returned when you leave) unless you have a Thai person with you. See map attached.

The beaches on Koh Samet are incredible, the sand is like talc and crunches under your feet. Accomodation is difficult to obtain in the high season and if you think there are a lot of Russians in Pattaya, wait til you get here. You can make Koh Samet a day trip if you set out early: The travel time to Rayong is about 1'30min and the travel time by ferry is about an hour, thus about 5 hours travel time for the entire return journey. The beaches will be fully shaded fairly early @ 5pm due to their eastern location on the island ( the west side is rocky)

post-142481-0-91447000-1330236018_thumb.

Turn into navy base in sattahip, which is a right turn at traffic lights past bang saray, there are several nice beaches within the base. post-121798-133022702631_thumb.jpg

I have heard many good things about this beach but as of yet have not been. i hear you need to surrender your passport to the attendant at the gates to the base upon entry (and returned when you leave) unless you have a Thai person with you. See map attached.

The beaches on Koh Samet are incredible, the sand is like talc and crunches under your feet. Accomodation is difficult to obtain in the high season and if you think there are a lot of Russians in Pattaya, wait til you get here. You can make Koh Samet a day trip if you set out early: The travel time to Rayong is about 1'30min and the travel time by ferry is about an hour, thus about 5 hours travel time for the entire return journey. The beaches will be fully shaded fairly early @ 5pm due to their eastern location on the island ( the west side is rocky)

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I also tried to get on to the navy base (with 2 Thai girls in the car) , they asked me where I was going & I said pai teow kaap in my best mangled Thai,, no way go back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I will try flashing my fancy looking work ID & passport next time & tell them I'm on a mission from God.

I did get on to a navy wharf further on from Sattahip , just saluted the military at guy at the boom gate. There were large grey ships and tug boats tied up there , cable laying ships I think , no beachs there.

Any body been to Laem Sing ?

Thanks again for the suggestions & the map to Saikaew Beach , not sure if this is the place I tried to get to.

I will write a review after the trip.

Edited by stailmanki

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I also tried to get on to the navy base (with 2 Thai girls in the car) , they asked me where I was going & I said pai teow kaap in my best mangled Thai,, no way go back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I will try flashing my fancy looking work ID & passport next time & tell them I'm on a mission from God.

I did get on to a navy wharf further on from Sattahip , just saluted the military at guy at the boom gate. There were large grey ships and tug boats tied up there , cable laying ships I think , no beachs there.

Any body been to Laem Sing ?

Thanks again for the suggestions & the map to Saikaew Beach , not sure if this is the place I tried to get to.

I will write a review after the trip.

I forgot one important detail which you speak of: When you get to the checkpoint DO NOT tell them you are going to the beach (apparently they may refuse entry), instead tell them you are going to the golf course located on naval land. I guess the golf course 'compensates' the Thai Navy whereas the free beach is just an annoyance.

I've been to the Naval base beach. It really is nicer than the other ones in Pattaya. It is more secluded, less crowded (when I was there there was no one outside of my group there). When I went it was with a naval general, so I did not have problem getting in. I think they're trying to exclude the general public to keep it for navy personnel. The golf course explanation sounds good.

Sai Keaw beach is on the basic training area of one of the bases. It is a moneymaker for the Navy. they run the chair and mat concessions. I live in Ban Amphur and have been there 20 times.

Turn into Navy base from Hwy 3 at the first light (at the second pedestrian flyover) after Bang Sare. You will directed to a small parking area with a shack where you trade your driver's licence (mine was from Georgia USA) for a pass.

Follow the signs through another checkpoint, then a left, then 200 meters paralleling a beach. You will get to another shack with a gate. Pay 80BT per farang, then take a magnificent 2KM drive over some hills to the beach. Nice reasonable restaurants, monkeys in the afternoons, shady trees right on the beach. Bring your camera

I understand on weekends that they run Baht busses from the second shack due to limited parking at the beach.

• Like 2

Only been to the Navy Beach at Sattahip once cost was 20 Baht (for the car, not per person) and didn't have to show or leave and ID with the guard, just told them 'go beach'.

Is that Sai Keaw beach or Hat Nang Ram on the other side of Sattahip by the port which is 20 baht entry.

Edited by Orac

Only been to the Navy Beach at Sattahip once cost was 20 Baht (for the car, not per person) and didn't have to show or leave and ID with the guard, just told them 'go beach'.

Is that Sai Keaw beach or Hat Nang Ram on the other side of Sattahip by the port which is 20 baht entry.

Don't know the name, there was a navy guard on the gate and some 'battleship grey' navy boats parked up at a dock to the right.

Don't know the name, there was a navy guard on the gate and some 'battleship grey' navy boats parked up at a dock to the right.

Hat Nang Ram is the other side of Sattahip before Bang Chang and has a small guard hut where you pay 20 baht before you get to the beach - Sattahip port is to the right of it. Sai Keaw is this side of Sattahip after Bang Saray - Ihaven't been there myself but will be checking it out soon!

Hat Nang Ram is the other side of Sattahip before Bang Chang and has a small guard hut where you pay 20 baht before you get to the beach - Sattahip port is to the right of it. Sai Keaw is this side of Sattahip after Bang Saray - Ihaven't been there myself but will be checking it out soon!

Sounds like it could have been Hat Nang Ram then. I was following someone that knows the way so didn't pay much attention to signs. We went straight down past The Navy Hospital heading towards the sea and the beach was down there on the left.

Sounds like it could have been Hat Nang Ram then. I was following someone that knows the way so didn't pay much attention to signs. We went straight down past The Navy Hospital heading towards the sea and the beach was down there on the left.

Sounds more like the area for Hat Nang Ram but the beach would be on your right - there do look to be a couple of beaches further along which you can come at the other way to put the beach on your left but I haven't checked them out.

Sounds more like the area for Hat Nang Ram but the beach would be on your right - there do look to be a couple of beaches further along which you can come at the other way to put the beach on your left but I haven't checked them out.

Reading thinkingman's directions to Sai Kaew then the one I've been to must be Hat Nang Ram which is known as 'The Navy Beach' Ban Chang way.

If you go to Sai Kaew and tell them you're there for golfing better make sure you have a set of clubs in the boot for when they check it.

These beaches are certaintly an improvement over pattaya and jomtien but if you really want clean water and nice sand go to Ban Phe, from the lights where you turn right into ban phe go on for about 3-5km and take any of the right turns off the 3 and if you're not sure you will come to a town with lights - turn right, once at the end you turn left and look for Kim Beach on right about 5km, park up and enjoy, you can see coh samet from the beach, whole trip about 120km - 240 return, and leaving pattaya go the new highway until rayong turn off for the 36 it's all straight from there bypassing rayong