Insulting A Policeman

petercool

To the overweight Englishman who mouthed "wanke_r" at the volunteer police officers at a late night road check even though he was driving his car through unstopped, I refer him to the following section of the Thai Penal Code ...

"Section 136 Whoever, insulting the official doing the act according to the function or having done the act according to the function, shall be imprisoned not out of one year or fined not out of two thousand Baht, or both."(sic)

It is not an offence to think what you like about police, but it pays to be careful what you say. Or write for that matter.

To answer two questions ...

1) no other European uses the word and it was very obvious what he said, who he said it to and that it wasn't a pleasantry

2) when on duty alongside Thai police officers following their orders, all volunteers (Thai and others) are considered as policemen and "officials"

1) no other European uses the word and it was very obvious what he said, who he said it to and that it wasn't a pleasantry

2) when on duty alongside Thai police officers following their orders, all volunteers (Thai and others) are considered as policemen and "officials"

A few examples of other nationalities who use the word,

Scottish

Irish,

Welsh,

Australian,

New Zealander,

American,

Canadian,

South African,

And i also have Dutch,Norwegian,French,Polish and German friends who use it regularly as well.

Edited by dundee48

Ref 2) They might be considered "officials" in that scenario. They are not considered the same as real policemen. Policemen have full individual power of arrest and carry firearms. Which volunteers do not.

I will say that volunteer / assistant police, when on duty, should be given the same respect as you would give real RTP officers.

Ref 2) They might be considered "officials" in that scenario. They are not considered the same as real policemen. Policemen have full individual power of arrest and carry firearms. Which volunteers do not.

I will say that volunteer / assistant police, when on duty, should be given the same respect as you would give real RTP officers.

But real respect is earned not a right;

Need more info here

Where was the road block?

When date did the incident take place?

Did you make any "busts" at the checkpoint?

What was the purpose of the checkpoint?

Were motorists unduly inconvenienced?

The road block was between 2am and 4am Sunday morning at the top of Pattaya Klang.

The purpose is primarily to search for drugs and/or weapons rather than a licence or other check.

Motorists might get delayed by minutes only if not stopped for searching.

Even searching is over in minutes if nothing is found.

While nothing was found this time, many guns or very large machetes are often found and many drug users are often caught.

PS. it was posted to remind folks that offensive behaviour towards police has its dangers

Edited by petercool

PS. it was posted to remind folks that offensive behaviour towards police has its dangers

But your not a real policeman are you ?....therefore in terms of section 136....you are not an offiical ...therefore you cannot invoke this section, obviously the term w*nker was mouthed to you at the road block and not a Thai member of the BiB, as I dont think they would even understand the term mouthed or not, further we do not understand the context the word w*nker was used, yes it can be used as an insult, but can also be used as a term of endearment, you do not know what the intent was..

Further Thailand has strict defamation laws, so I would suspect the "overweight" Englishman could sue you for suggesting he is overweight, what proof to you have that he is overweight ?...did you stop the vehicle and conduct an improptu BMI assesment ?

I am all for Farangs helping out the Police in pattaya....but why does this group seem to attract so many wannabees ?...I have yet to meet one who didnt have some chip on their shoulder issues.

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

Or write for that matter.

So is that a threat to stop people posting replies you don't like?

Exactly...

In terms of what was "mouthed' may I refer you to the old saying....sticks and stones may break my bones..but names will never hurt me...

Edited by Soutpeel

Whether or not you want to believe that all Thai police are corrupt is entirely your choice.

Whatever your views are on foreign volunteers who work with Thai police is also entirely your choice.

Whether or not you want to hear what libel and other laws are in Thailand, they do exist.

Whether you read it as such, no threats were intended at all.

And when working with and under Thai officers, I am considered a "real" policeman by them.

That all of us are perfect in doing this job has never been implied.

But many are ex-police and many bring real benefits to the community.

I will now resist replying any more.

Whether or not you want to believe that all Thai police are corrupt is entirely your choice.

Whatever your views are on foreign volunteers who work with Thai police is also entirely your choice.

Whether or not you want to hear what libel and other laws are in Thailand, they do exist.

And when working with and under Thai officers, I am considered a "real" policeman by them.

thank you.........

• Like 1

thank you.........

BTW...wonder if he has a WP ?.....giggle.gif

A few examples of other nationalities who use the word,

American,

News to me and I'm an American. The only reason I'm aware of it and used it is the Brits in Thailand taught it to me. But never vocally, just on TV. biggrin.png

I have 2 American friends in Pattaya who regularly call me one.giggle.gif Edited by dundee48