What Is Your Favourite Country And Why?

invogue

I am really surprised by people’s answers and it wasn’t what I expected to hear.

I’m curious to know what other members think of Thailand surrounding countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam etc?

I am originally from Australia and find the country deadly boring that every day that ticks by there I consider another wasted day of my life. Same said about Singapore where I lived for way too long.

Hong Kong and China were pretty cool which I liked because the culture was very foreign and I was always discovering new ways of doing things.

I lived in the USA last year and don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot to love but I’ve never met so many swindlers, scammers and cheap skates in my life.

I lived in Bangladesh and have never felt more in danger in my life-

but I am a young, attractive white female.

but I am a young, attractive white female.

Oh no your not!!....I couldn't sleep last night!!....I was terrified by your ghostly appearance haunting me!!

Oh n

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to over 100 countries, but lived in about 9. I woud have to put the USA and Thailand at the top. Someone mentioned the Keys--one of the best places in the US despite my overall indifference to Florida. Washington DC, San Diego, Portland, San Fran, Chicago, Raleigh, Hawaii--all are great.

Thailand is well, we all know what this place is like

I would have to give Italy, South Korea, and Japan honorable mention. Worst place in which I lived? Iraq, I guess.

If I could pick other places in which I have only spent passing time, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Scotland, Ireland, Hong Kong, Argentina, and Costa Rica would rank pretty high.

Pray tell us, what was your occupation that saw you live in and visit so many countries?

Oh no your not!!....I couldn't sleep last night!!....I was terrified by your ghostly appearance haunting me!!

Oh n

I was haunted by your image in my dreams last night too and I'm sorry you are afflicted with the same sickness as Benjamin in 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'.

Ahem.....

I find her a quite attractive Thai hi-so. You know...white skin and all...

Followed by.......

Korp koon maak ka. Are you going to post a picture of you for your avatar instead of a grey outline?

Do you mind? This is not a dating site!!

By the way I don't have many standards when it comes to dating, in fact, I have no standards at all...........except I do insist on my date having a pulse.

regards

Benjamin

I'll go for Scotland then seeing as another poster bought my vote with a pie supper on another thread .

Oh for the Squirrel Bar and a deep fried macaroni pie , Stevenson Street on a cold winters morn and money to be made . Forget not the old vans wi' hooky MOTs and knocking off early on a saturday and walking up to see the celtic . I shudder to recall beating a dwarf at pool up in the Scotia pool hall and then staggering home westward , stuffed into my y fronts , the days takings . One never knew who one could happen upon in old Glasgow town , on the banks of the Clyde in the west of Scotland .

Glasgow is a favorite place but it is also a violent and dangerous place...if you wander into the wrong bar at the wrong time you can get the shit kicked outta you for no apparent reason...almost happened to me a couple of times as an innocent yank...

on the Shettleston Road and minding my own business in a bar with a half and a half and here come some lads tooled up and ready to go and then the bar man said: 'hold off, I know him...' and I knew him too from a previous acquaintance...he saved my ass...mistaken identity or some such foolishness...

also, the little Glasgow jimmys are only about 5'6" - 5' 8" and I'm 6' so I don't worry too much about damage...

Strange you mention Shettleston, which is only 1 mile along the road from where I am right now. It has the lowest male life expectancy in the UK, ( possibly even Europe ).

That is a result of a combination of factors, including encounters with Wee Jimmys, the diet as described by onionluke, the drunken debauchery and 24 hour bars as described by me, and encounters with the local ladies, which result in the copious use of that outstanding Scottish invention, penicillin.

There's many a Glasgow lad that fancies himself to be a hit with the girls, and he'll head off full of vigour to the flesh pot clubs of days yore such as Victorias in Sauchiehall Street. If defeated and rejected by the young nubiles of said night club, being young, and cunning, he would make his way down to the Savoy, where the Shettleston lassies would be lying in wait.

You would know it was the Savoy as the lassies would shower you with well used knickers as you stood transfixed to the sticky floor. On occasion you may have a moment to reflect and regret arriving at said venue, just before you were dragged to the taxi rank by a pack of Shettleston Babes ( you will have seen the film Babe? ). At this point you would have been well advised to join the queue at the Blue Lagoon for a bag of fish and chips, not because you were hungry, but to mask the smell of what was to come.

After being used and abused by said ladies you would be ejected out onto the wintry streets of Shettleston in the early morn, where you would have to perform the Walk of Disgrace, ( it's called that in Scotland because when you arrive home your typical welcome from your mother would be, "Look at the state of you!! Your a disgrace!!"). There would be scant consolation in seeing other young chaps performing the same walk of shame.

After a day of recovery with the miracle hangover cure, Irn Bru, you would begin to notice a burning sensation in the nether regions, which would then result in a visit to the Sandyford STD clinic on the Monday morning, where you would see the other young chaps you passed on your "Walk Of Shame".

Debauchery indeed..............

outstanding exposition but remember: narrative, narrative, narrative...

Glasgow was a weird place for me to end up as a surfer boy from LA but I was exiled to Bolivia in 1965 and always thought that I could endure anything...but the circumstances weren't half bad as it turned out with my irish inlaws and their concern for my well being...also I hated England and Glasgow was always a big sigh of relief...

I liked the Horse Shoe bar near down town but me FiL always balked and said: 'ye can't get a quarter gill measure in that place...' in reality he was more at home around the Gallowgate drinking places, a 30 year irish exile...Celtic and Rangers and the horrors of local sectarianism, what a place...and with my baby son on a clear New Years day a wee jimmy put some silver currency in his push chair and said Happy New Year...

The Horseshoe Bar is still going strong, you can't get in it after 7.00pm on Friday night as the standard of singers is amongst the best in Glasgow. The drink is still relatively cheap ( for the city centre ) and they serve some seriously delicious heart attack on a plate pub grub.

The last time I was in there was with two Irish gigolos who had the ladies hitting on them as soon as they walked in the bar. feeling a bit put out I pulled up my nappy a bit higher, and turned on my charismatic charm. I succeeded in pulling a 26 stone behemoth from Springburn who informed that this was my "lucky night". My only thought was that I would be lucky to survive the night if she was on top.

It's not a real country (yet) but I answer Europe.

From north to south, so much diversity in scenery, weather, culture, history, food ... You can enjoy a beer in Ireland, ski in the Alpes and enjoy the sun set in a greek island ... can't beat that !

Bit of a long day, though...

Someone should tell Jurgen that the Third Reich failed.......

I wouldn't be too sure - Germany owns Irelandrolleyes.gif , a lot of the Alps and Greece!rolleyes.gif

Beautiful isn't it? The white skin. My wife is so jealous she just went out to get more skin whitenning cream.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

shock1.gif

That's a first....getting caught perving at Thaivisa members. Don't let her see my photo or she'll be having you do that "Big Baby" fetish thing.

I have that effect upon ladies.

It's not a real country (yet) but I answer Europe.

From north to south, so much diversity in scenery, weather, culture, history, food ... You can enjoy a beer in Ireland, ski in the Alpes and enjoy the sun set in a greek island ... can't beat that !

Bit of a long day, though...

Someone should tell Jurgen that the Third Reich failed.......

I wouldn't be too sure - Germany owns Irelandrolleyes.gif , a lot of the Alps and Greece!rolleyes.gif

Well.......here is an interesting little historical fact for you........Ireland was the only country in the world that........passed on their condolences to Germany upon hearing of the death of Hitler.

crazy.gifcrazy.gif1zgarz5.gif

I would say that a person could get bored wherever they live if they don't have a passion for life, or a passion for some particular hobby or interest. The most interesting people I meet are the creative ones who have traveled extensively. Boredom is why most marriages fail. One or both of the people in a marriage or long term relationship are needy and constantly have to be propped up by the other. It becomes draining on the other after a while. If a person is not happy within themself then they won't enjoy whatever country they live in. Too often parents try living their life through that of their children. I can think of hundreds of countries that would be interesting to visit, but only a few where I would want to live.

• Like 1

Back on topic......( for me )

I lived in Germany for 5 years and I loved it, it still had the 4 seasons, hot summers, cold winters, beautiful spring, and stunning autumns.

The scenery was beautiful, I lived all over but I particularly loved Fulda, ( if you read the Tom Clancy book Red Storm Rising Fulda features prominently, fantastic book too ), and the Eiffel area, down by Trier.

I loved the summers as the weather was always reliable, and the Wine Fests and Beer Fests were amazing family days. I liked how the Germans were very family oriented, the food was great too, and of course the beer is just amazing.

The Mosel River and Rhine rivers are beautiful, with vineyards rolling along deep valleys, and the architecture is top class, with Disney style castles dotted about everywhere. The ladies were beautiful, the tailoring was spot on, with the Hugo Boss and Guy Laroche factories effectively on your doorstep, and best of all..........

No one does Christmas like the Germans, the Kristkindlmarkts are just superb. I could go on but hey......Germany, amazing place as long as you accept that...........

Inside every German there is a hidden policeman.

Edited by theblether

One of the smartest things I have done is to keep my house in the Southern California desert when I moved to Thailand for about six years. Thailand was fine for a while but after a while as my Thai partner said "I knew too much" and since climate and food are the same or better in California, I was happy to sell out and move back to the U.S. Climate is very important to me and living in the land of sunshine and dry heat is the best. When it does become a bit chilly in December and the days are short, I can go to Hawaii which I think has the most perfect climate in the civilized world.

I am really surprised by people’s answers and it wasn’t what I expected to hear.

I’m curious to know what other members think of Thailand surrounding countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam etc?

I am originally from Australia and find the country deadly boring that every day that ticks by there I consider another wasted day of my life. Same said about Singapore where I lived for way too long.

Hong Kong and China were pretty cool which I liked because the culture was very foreign and I was always discovering new ways of doing things.

I lived in the USA last year and don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot to love but I’ve never met so many swindlers, scammers and cheap skates in my life.

I lived in Bangladesh and have never felt more in danger in my life- but I am a young, attractive white female.

We can all say that, on the internet...

I like Thailand the most! Living in Bangkok is great and convenient, and you are only hours away from beaches, jungle and mountains.

Would have voted for Scandinavia if the weather was better, people were friendlier and everything was more alive. I miss the winter sports and mostly the beer!

For a country to work in I vote for The Grand Duchy of Luxemburg.

Tax and social security is -20% of gross, the best salary I ever got. Within 30 minutes drive you're in Germany, France or Belgium.

That small country is a nice little mix of everything, it used to be a fiscal heaven where all taxed items were cheaper than in the surrounding countries. I guess this is no more with the European Union, even their bank secret is on the block recently.

the Horseshoe bar in Glasgow?

yeah, I was there a couple of years ago one afternoon with my son (now 17 y.o., born at the old maternity hospital on Rotten Row) and we had to sit upstairs in the dining area 'cause he was underage...good grub but no atmosphere like downstairs...my FiL Mick died some years ago, he had a stroke and couldn't talk and it broke my heart...he was a dear friend...my MiL is in her 90s and manages on her own in Dunbarton (the ex-wife''s family live nearby; I'm still part of the family although we divorced over 10 years ago) and I haveta scold my son: 'don't be messin' up yer gran's place now ye sloppy little shit...pick up after yerself...' to no avail...

• Like 1

yeah, I was there a couple of years ago one afternoon with my son (now 17 y.o., born at the old maternity hospital on Rotten Row) and we had to sit upstairs in the dining area 'cause he was underage...good grub but no atmosphere like downstairs...my FiL Mick died some years ago, he had a stroke and couldn't talk and it broke my heart...he was a dear friend...my MiL is in her 90s and manages on her own in Dunbarton (the ex-wife''s family live nearby; I'm still part of the family although we divorced over 10 years ago) and I haveta scold my son: 'don't be messin' up yer gran's place now ye sloppy little shit...pick up after yerself...' to no avail...

When my son was born we all headed back to Glasgow . The first Glasgow pub experience for my dearest wife was the Horseshoe , in with my sister for an afternoon pint or two . There then followed a list of boozers about 3 weeks long , finishing with the Saracen's Head and all that went between .

Edited by onionluke

last time I was in the US was in Philadelphia (I'm a west coast lad) and I was frightened, gunfire at night and etc...and at the local 7-11 one day I exited to the parking lot to find two large black men arguing and became alarmed and said: 'please don't fight, there's too much violence in the world already...' and they stopped and stared at me and I stumbled on down the street...later when I sobered up I realized that I could've been killed as collateral damage in a street dispute...

better I stay down the market in Suphanburi where everyone is my friend...

When my son was born we all headed back to Glasgow . The first Glasgow pub experience for my dearest wife was the Horseshoe , in with my sister for an afternoon pint or two . There then followed a list of boozers about 3 weeks long , finishing with the Saracen's Head and all that went between .

yes, the 'Saraheid'...nice location across from the barras and a Glasgow institution...but when the italians bought it about 15 years ago and turned it into a tourist destination it lost a bit of it's charm...my FiL useta like the place because they served a 1/4 gill measure; no longer, I'm afraid...

but an excellent place to take Glasgow first timers I gotta admit...what did the wife say when she tasted real whiskey?

State of Tasmania in Australia.

Southern ocean , cool air, great diving,great fishing diverse, great fresh food beer and wine,Mostly national park,true wilderness on your doorstop, welcoming people (rednecks abound in hills bit dodgy)Once in no visa or work permit BS

Quick flight in Melbourne longer flight WA or Queensland.

Would move there in a heartbeat, when opportunity presents I will be gone.

" yes, the 'Saraheid'...nice location across from the barras and a Glasgow institution...but when the italians bought it about 15 years ago and turned it into a tourist destination it lost a bit of it's charm...my FiL useta like the place because they served a 1/4 gill measure; no longer, I'm afraid...

but an excellent place to take Glasgow first timers I gotta admit...what did the wife say when she tasted real whiskey? "

She said " Oooohhh" , but was more preferential to a 60 shilling or the like .

We had a great night along at the Oran Mor , down in the basement watching The Five Aces playing some old hammond driven sounds .

" You dancin' ? " , "You askin' ? " .

Edit ; I nearly forgot the White Lightnin' .

Edited by onionluke

they useta have great concerts at Barrowlands across from the 'Saraheid' but I never did attend...over 40 and a bit past it...

my ex remembered an old cinema near downtown that was the rockingest place in Scotland if not in the entire UK in late 60s and early 70s...it got torn down...stinkin' property developers...

great music scene in Glasgow...

Edited by tutsiwarrior