Dealing With The Stigma Of Having A Thai Gf In Homeland?

Ruperts

They are probably jealous that their wives are over weight and yours is not.

What if their wives aren't overweight? What if it's something else? I'm sorry people, but I don't think it has anything to do with "jealousy." If you take a gander at a thread currently running called "Girlfriend for Sale," that might be a better explanation.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are also probably jealous that you get to eat exquisite Thai food on a daily basis,

and the closest they get is a pot noodle.

I reckon they're thinking "I bet he's only with her because he thinks in narrow stereotypes and generalisations"

Or in my case, "She's probably just doing it for a bet"

SC

Edit: I suppose one has to admire our powers of abstract thinking, that we can consider what 3rd parties might be saying about a couple of complete strangers that we have never met. The power of stereotypes, eh? I love the way threads in this forum appear "Dealing with the stigma...in General"; if it had been "Dealing with the stigma ... in Farang Pub" we would have needed so much more specific information...

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

They are also probably jealous that you get to eat exquisite Thai food on a daily basis,

and the closest they get is a pot noodle.

I reckon they're thinking "I bet he's only with her because he thinks in narrow stereotypes and generalisations"

Or in my case, "She's probably just doing it for a bet"

SC

Edit: I suppose one has to admire our powers of abstract thinking, that we can consider what 3rd parties might be saying about a couple of complete strangers that we have never met. The power of stereotypes, eh? I love the way threads in this forum appear "Dealing with the stigma...in General"; if it had been "Dealing with the stigma ... in Farang Pub" we would have needed so much more specific information...

It might even have been "Dealing with stigmata" in the Farang Pub . - " Does your TGF have bloody sores on the palms oh her hands ? "

• Like 1

I agree with most responses i.e. in the grand scheme of things it shouldnt matter a jot

but know from experience it isnt always straightforward, as many of my friends and family are shall we say highly irreverent and could hardly be described as politically correct. Doesnt mean they are racist BNP flag wavers or anything, just they, well, dont read the Guardian lets say

was a bit of a worry for me to start with but my wife is outgoing and is not afraid to hold a conversation in English and they realise she is a normal person who is easy to like and talk to. After that point, it was easier to relax. The odd person may stare but I know better and so does anyone who knows us

Compared with the UK though, you do get stared at more in Thailand, partly because there isnt really an age gap more than anything I reckon.