Thai Ebay

• 1 year later...

Sort of related...

I am setting up on eBay to import stuff from thailand into the UK.

Is anyone doing this, and if so, what is the best way to set up e.g. offshore company with uk agent?

How is taxation best handled?

Any ideas?

Thanks

I looked at thaibiz.biz and it looks like it might work, though it says "max bid" in the left column next to the item(s) ....seems to me it should instead say "min bid"

The earlier URL; thaisecondhand.com is all in Thai font. I clicked on "international edition" and got English on the 'mother site', but not Thai-related items.

Call me a cynic, but I rather doubt a true auction site can work well in Thailand, given the current state of things;

1. Thai people are good at telling others what they think the other person wants to hear, but not so good at being reliable or responsible. One indication: checks are very rarely used in Thailand. In 8 years, I've rec'd 3 checks from Thais for business related payments: One bounced, one wasn't signed (never was made good), and the third was promised from a company, but never sent until I made a long trip back to their HQ to demand they write me one on the spot. They insisted they couldn't do so, but relented after some hot air from me.

I know this will rub many people the wrong way, but I think Thais just aren't quite ready for a scenario that relies on the honor system and being fully responsible - that an online auction site requires.

Farang don't score great in the resposibility dept either: I bought a 2nd hand camera from a farang in a far-off part of Thailand, and the item didn't work. It took a lot of cajoling/threatening on my part - before he grudgingly agreed to refund my money in return for getting the camera back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I would have thought that the main problem is more that the Thai elite don't wish the hoi palloi to get into commerce without them getting a cut of the action. A free ebay is I believe a great indication of how corrupt a country is. That and the price if phoning a country from abroad.

There's no "real" eBay in Thailand, but the website www.ebay.co.th uses the American ebay.com for it's search facility. The main problem is that Paypal have some issues with users in Thailand.

There is an eBay in Singapore though - www.ebay.com.sg

hi! this one is pretty good too, it's in thai but gets automatically translated to english, its an auction site, have you heard of it before? http://www.deebid.com/

there are some really good deals and they've just started a direct buy option

Resurrecting a 3 year old topic to post a link for your first post...that's not spam or anything...

hi! this one is pretty good too, it's in thai but gets automatically translated to english, its an auction site, have you heard of it before? http://www.deebid.com/

there are some really good deals and they've just started a direct buy option

Resurrecting a 3 year old topic to post a link for your first post...that's not spam or anything...

Why do people spend their lives going back and reading old members posts to try and get an "angle" on the poster ?? Do something constructive.

Its BORING BORING BORING (And yes I dont have to read)