Two British Tourists Injured In Altercation With Pattaya Motorbike Taxi Driver

Rimmer

Two British tourists injured in altercation with Pattaya Motorbike Taxi driver

PATTAYA:-- Two British tourists were assaulted by a Pattaya motorbike taxi driver in the early hours of Monday over a dispute over the taxi fare.

All those involved in the incident made their way to Pattaya Police Station, including the taxi driver, Khun Somkwuan aged 35 who claimed he had accepted a fare from the two British men, aged 23 and 53 at an agreed price of 200 Baht.

When they arrived at their destination they handed over 100 Baht and refused to pay the extra 100 Baht. Khun Somkwaun was angry and used a plank of wood and struck both tourists who then summoned the assistance of Police.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/49757/british-tourists-injured-altercation-pattaya-motorbike-taxi-driver/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-02-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

never understand when i see 2 adults get on the back of 1 bike, to save what £2. if it was in pattaya and with in the city 200 is over the top. Not much choice about pressing charges unless they want to hang around for a few months.

they do look the part though for such an incidence.

It's a piece of wood, not a plank. The 23 year old must feel right stupid having been beaten up by a 35 year old . . . . 'specially when he was two-up! Loser.

Maybe they know how things work here in Thailand, if they had retaliated, it would not have been a case of two Brits against one

Thai, it could have quickly escalated into a fight between 20 Thai's aganst 2 Brits, the Thai's of course would also resort to knives,

probable inflicting seriouse injury to the victims if not death. Next the Thai mafia (police) would become involved, then the Brits would have

further problems. If you want to visit Thailand try and keep a low profile, be aware that the all times, the Thai law enforcement agencies,with few exceptions, will take care of their fellow Thais, even when they are obviously in the wrong.

• Like 1

How do 2 large, skinhead poms and a driver fit on a tiny ladybike?

Just becasue they are skinheads does not mean they are averse to getting cosy and close to each other, man on man. LOL.

I am sorry to say, if you are daft enough to (1) endanger yourselves by overcrowding a small motorcycle on dangerous roads (2) allow a simple misunderstanding (that's a 100baht each not total, you silly man...if only the Thais can speak English!) to escalate, get injured and then waste precious time/energy over 100baht...then you probably need a slap to the back of the head anyway!

They trust the Thai driver with their lives yet such trust is gone over the question of 100baht....DAFT !!!

It's a piece of wood, not a plank. The 23 year old must feel right stupid having been beaten up by a 35 year old . . . . 'specially when he was two-up! Loser.

Maybe they know how things work here in Thailand, if they had retaliated, it would not have been a case of two Brits against one

Thai, it could have quickly escalated into a fight between 20 Thai's aganst 2 Brits, the Thai's of course would also resort to knives,

probable inflicting seriouse injury to the victims if not death. Next the Thai mafia (police) would become involved, then the Brits would have

further problems. If you want to visit Thailand try and keep a low profile, be aware that the all times, the Thai law enforcement agencies,with few exceptions, will take care of their fellow Thais, even when they are obviously in the wrong.

Jesus wept, you certainly have a vivid, albeit weird, imagination!

Were you there at the scene, did you see hordes of Thais who were no doubt just waiting for the farangs to clout a Thai so that they could beat them to death?

And as mentioned by other posters, how do you know the Thai was in the wrong, and it wasn't possibly a case of misunderstanding that 100 baht was for each man? And all this aggro for 100 baht!

• Like 1

Were you there at the scene, did you see hordes of Thais who were no doubt just waiting for the farangs to clout a Thai so that they could beat them to death?

And as mentioned by other posters, how do you know the Thai was in the wrong, and it wasn't possibly a case of misunderstanding that 100 baht was for each man? And all this aggro for 100 baht!

100 baht per person. Quite possibly a miscommunication.

From 25 yrs experiance in Thailand, these occurrence's seem to be increasing by the year, especially where tuk tuk and motor cycle drivers are involved and of course the jet ski scammers. Do you not follow the news in Thailand?. Some of the foreign embassy's and consulates have been so concerned that they have complained to the Thai authorities. Don't get me wrong I love living in Thailand,

great weather,food and mostly the Thai people, who I have found to be very nice on the whole, but I don't wear rose coloured glasses, and I certainly do not stick my head in the sand, as some people seem to.

• Like 1

Quite often when I am out with a female friend we do 2 up on a m/c taxi when there are shortages at busy times. If the fare is normally 60 Baht they often quote 90 Baht, certainly not double else you might as well get 2 m/c taxis. This driver tried to rip these guys off and succeeded.

Regardless of what was agreed upon or not it's no place for the one guy to hit the other in the head with a blunt object. Only in Pattaya can the locals get away with such actions against the money bringing tourists. It's actually kind of sad as it will keep giving this place a bad, lawless name. We can go throwing blame around but the fact remains that one guy hit the other guy in the head and should be held accountable for that. That a reason can justify it to the police just shows that the laws here count for nothing.

Regardless of what was agreed upon or not it's no place for the one guy to hit the other in the head with a blunt object. Only in Pattaya can the locals get away with such actions against the money bringing tourists. It's actually kind of sad as it will keep giving this place a bad, lawless name. We can go throwing blame around but the fact remains that one guy hit the other guy in the head and should be held accountable for that. That a reason can justify it to the police just shows that the laws here count for nothing.

These thugs attack tourists because they know the police won't do anything.

A friend of mine with his family, in Pattaya, was in his car and got into an argument with a taxi driver on 2nd Road.

The taxi driver threatened them so they drove to the Pattaya Police Station for their safety. The taxi followed them. They were all very frightened.

In the Police Station parking lot, the irate taxi driver took out a club and smashed their windshield.

Yes, in the Police Station parking lot.

These thugs attack tourists because they know the police won't do anything.

A friend of mine with his family, in Pattaya, was in his car and got into an argument with a taxi driver on 2nd Road.

The taxi driver threatened them so they drove to the Pattaya Police Station for their safety. The taxi followed them. They were all very frightened.

In the Police Station parking lot, the irate taxi driver took out a club and smashed their windshield.

Yes, in the Police Station parking lot.

This is my experience also, the police will do nothing after a physical attack unless a knife or gun is involved. However once any property damage is caused then even the thai's will have to pay up. I hope your friend got his windshield replaced and money for a rental.

My experience is different.

While at both Pattaya and Banglamung stations I have seen great attention by Thai police officers to foreigners hurt in fights etc. up to and including ringing Sawang Boriboon personnel to administer first aid on the spot as well as instantly on the radio to get an alert out for those who may be involved - if these are not already at the station. It did not have to be gun or knife related at all. And I have witnessed very impartial and fair treatment of foreign victims of Thai offenders in a wide variety of different incidents.

Of course he just happened to have a Trimmed Baton type piece of wood with him on his Bike.

But two Big duffers like that on a Lady bike & arguing over 100Baht , ya gotta be kiddin'

giggle.gif