Can You Buy A Cheap Guitar For 500 Baht?

tubehero

I would not be surprised if 500 baht is not enough for a cheap guitar. But I still want to ask for some information.

I want to play the guitar. But as I don't know how long my determination will last, I would like to buy a cheap guitar first to see how it goes.

Thank you.

While it may be possible to buy a cheap guitar for five hundred baht, it will be a waste of money. Such a guitar will be so difficult to play that your enthusiasm will soon wane. Other people may recommend something cheaper, but I think you need to buy a 'Yamaha' - the cheapest of which will be somewhere in the region of 3000-4000 baht. Then if you do lose heart you will at least be able to sell it on.

• Like 1

I would suggest buying the best steel string Acoustic you can afford. 500 Baht is very optimistic. A decent chromatic tuner can be had very cheaply these days.

And a little tip, get it strung with light guage strings, if you practice with heavy or even normal guage strings, it will kill your fingers, this causes you too lose incentive. Going lighter guage let you stand it for longer when you start.

A wealth of tutorials on the internet and youtube.

have fun and enjoy.

I would suggest buying the best steel string Acoustic you can afford. 500 Baht is very optimistic. A decent chromatic tuner can be had very cheaply these days.

And a little tip, get it strung with light guage strings, if you practice with heavy or even normal guage strings, it will kill your fingers, this causes you too lose incentive. Going lighter guage let you stand it for longer when you start.

A wealth of tutorials on the internet and youtube.

have fun and enjoy.

yeah...I useta play about 40 years ago then wanted to look in again and bought a Yamaha dreadnought for about thb3000...same model I owned about 40years ago...but the one I bought here was assembled in Indonesia and the action was for shit and it tore up my fingers even with light gauge strings...so be careful with the local stuff...play around a bit with the stuff that ye see on offer and see what suits ye...better to pay a little more for a better axe than to put it down in frustration because yer fingers hurt...

yeah and check out the internet; you can play anything you want with the indicated tableture (fretboard finger positions)...no music reading required...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Thank you everyone. After reading your opinions, I decide I will buy a guitar at 4,000 baht. smile.png

I also found an English-speaking teacher who said I should pay about 400 baht per hour for his non-classical course. Is this fee reasonable?

Thank you.

You might ask your teacher or another experienced guitarist to help you pick out your guitar, just to make sure you're not getting ripped off.

The weekend market, mall stalls/small shops all sell no-name brands made in China at 3000-4000 that look & sound decent and should meet your needs as a student. Forget re-sale. That's a dream. Just assume you'll give it to a friend or kid in need when you move on to a Taylor or Martin...

I concur with other posters. A set of strings sets you back by about 250 Baht, so the guitar can/should cost some more.

4000 for entry level sounds ok. Important is that the instrument plays easy, otherwise it is very frustrating, not only for beginners.

Happy playing!

sent from my Android phone

The weekend market, mall stalls/small shops all sell no-name brands made in China at 3000-4000 that look & sound decent and should meet your needs as a student. Forget re-sale. That's a dream. Just assume you'll give it to a friend or kid in need when you move on to a Taylor or Martin...

yeah...giving away a guitar to someone who will enjoy it is always pleasing...40 years ago I gave my Yamaha dreadnought to a girl to whom I was teaching to play simple chords; I was leaving town and wanted to travel light...her boyfriend who was my pal later said that it became something that she treasured and that she continued to practice every day...I never did get another guitar after that but I think that my karma benefited...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

What would you experienced guitarists out there recommend for a beginner? To initially purchase an acoustic guitar or a classical guitar? Metal strings (even light gauge) hurts tremendously at the beginning and I'm sure lots of aspiring guitarists give up due to this whilst plastic (?) strings on a classical is more forgiving on the fingertips. However, the wider fret board makes is harder to play chords.

What would you experienced guitarists out there recommend for a beginner? To initially purchase an acoustic guitar or a classical guitar? Metal strings (even light gauge) hurts tremendously at the beginning and I'm sure lots of aspiring guitarists give up due to this whilst plastic (?) strings on a classical is more forgiving on the fingertips. However, the wider fret board makes is harder to play chords.

This highly depends on the music you want to play! A classical guitar with nylon strings should played with long fingernails in a classical picking style, whereas a guitar with steel strings can be played better with a plectrum.

Now you're not breaking any law if you do it the other way around, but that's the way it's supposed to be.

Nylon strings also hurt in the beginning. It all veins off in a week or so. The easier the instrument is to play, the faster. Comes unfortunately with the price tag.

You may want to have a look at a second hand fender telecoustic, they come new at about 15 k if I remember well, play like an electric guitar (read: easy) have a resonance body and can be amplified.

• Like 1

This highly depends on the music you want to play! A classical guitar with nylon strings should played with long fingernails in a classical picking style, whereas a guitar with steel strings can be played better with a plectrum.

Now you're not breaking any law if you do it the other way around, but that's the way it's supposed to be.

Nylon strings also hurt in the beginning. It all veins off in a week or so. The easier the instrument is to play, the faster. Comes unfortunately with the price tag.

You may want to have a look at a second hand fender telecoustic, they come new at about 15 k if I remember well, play like an electric guitar (read: easy) have a resonance body and can be amplified.

Any ideas where to buy such a guitar, either new or second hand?

Hello, just an update. You can find a cheap guitar, for about 2300 baht at the Music Collection store, 2nd floor at Siam Paragon. The brand name is Phantom. I don't know that brand - maybe a local Thai brand?

I think so, doesn't mean that it is a bad product.

For second hand instruments, just keep shopping around. Panthip Plaza has second hand shops and the other places were mentioned, too. Might take ages to find the instrument you are looking for, or just a strike of luck. Play them, feel them, hear them...if they say "buy me" you found your instrument cool.png

• 2 weeks later...

Another update: Yesterday I went looking for a capo for my acoustic guitar.

I visited all the guitar shops in Central World, including the Guitar Avenue. Strangely, none of those shops sell a capo.

The Music Collection at Siam Paragon has one at 700 baht, while the Music Solution near Pantip Plaza sells one at 600 baht.

I also tried the Pratunam market, but no one sold a guitar.

Fortune Tower above the Rama-9 MRT Station has opened a remodeled area near the center of the building on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th level. There is a guitar/ukulele shop there that offers free lessons daily. I believe the shop is on the 3rd level.

Hi dddave, could you pls give more info on the free lessons at Fortune Tower? Do we have to arrive at a particular time slot?

Thank you.

Sorry, I don't know the particulars. I met a friend there a few weeks ago who's son was taking advantage of their offer and she said they were very good.

I believe they are on the 3rd floor and there is a sign out front describing the free lessons.

If you enter Fortune from the center entry nearest the MRT, take the escalator behind the elevators to the 3rd floor and walk towards the Tesco-Lotus end. You will pass a lot of high end photo shops. The shop will be on your left.