Why Is It So Hard Getting Out Of Thailand

prefabs

Had to catch a flight at 0055 this morning. Egypt Air took 5 minutes to check me in and I was directed to a queue which snaked all the way back to the beginning of the terminal building. Was 75 minutes before I made it inside the glassed in passport area. Then another 45 minutes to stand in line and get pasport stamped. I noticed that thre were 6 desks for all passports Thai and Foreign are now lumped together. However, there were 4 for Premium type passengers across the way. Looks like they have stumbled on a money maker here.

I spoke to a Frenchman who said that his airport experiences had made up his mind about coming back, no way would he put himself through this again.

I wrote 4 weeks ago about the time it takes to get in, but I really can't see the reason for it taking so long to get out.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two solid hours before being cleared by immigration. You still had to clear security after that, right? And then march to your gate about 4 kilometers, right?

Most of us would have missed our flights by then. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll plan my next arrival time at Swampy for three hours ahead of my international flight. Do you think it will be adequate? blink.png

Edited by Fookhaht

I think that it varies depending on the time of day. I left Thailand on the 22nd of Feb, got through immigration in 15 mins and that was at 8 am, but saying that I have been in a similar situation to you prior to that. Have to agree that it is very frustrating especially when you are nearing boarding time.

When I arrived last week the queue to get in was down that ramp leading up to the various booths. Most were closed and it was about 45 minutes to get through.

I've never seen it that bad getting out.

That's how they get the tourist count up in these difficult times.

While the new ones are entering and the "old ones" can't leave they have twice the amount of tourists on Thailand grounds as supposed to. Miracle Thailand.

I sympathise "prefabs". We left on Saturday and it took over an hour to clear passport control. The poor air-con and the swarms of ignorant, queue jumping Russians didn't help either! For a new airport, these arrangements are pathetic and would not encourage a repeat visit. Getting in wasn't quite so bad - only 45 minutes - and no Russian elbows to contend with!

I usually will chat up a Thai will I'm getting my boarding pass. I'll ask them to take me through the Thai side with them. Has worked every time no problems.

They weren't having any of that this last time. Checking everybody very carefully as soooooo many Russians were trying it also.

I sympathise "prefabs". We left on Saturday and it took over an hour to clear passport control. The poor air-con and the swarms of ignorant, queue jumping Russians didn't help either! For a new airport, these arrangements are pathetic and would not encourage a repeat visit. Getting in wasn't quite so bad - only 45 minutes - and no Russian elbows to contend with!

I had a group of Russians trying the game of putting one person in each of several lines and then jumping back and forth when one line got the closest. There were 6 of them, split among 3 lines. They would even leave the line and then push to get back into the line they left at the same spot. Tried it on my line just as I was getting to the window. I wouldn't let them in and even said I'd yell for help. Everybody in my line agreed and started yelling at them also. They would have gained 1-2 spots by moving lines. Unreal. They were pissed and kept saying things at me in Russian. I did my best Russian back at them. "brosht prosht nyet da brosht prosht".

• Like 1

I usually will chat up a Thai will I'm getting my boarding pass. I'll ask them to take me through the Thai side with them. Has worked every time no problems.

Look at my post again. There is no separation of Thais and Foreign passport holders this week. All together except for Premium Pass holders

Look at my post again. There is no separation of Thais and Foreign passport holders this week. All together except for Premium Pass holders

I looked again. Sorry.

When they do have separate lines, the Thai side is always much shorter. I just tell them were traveling together, and most of the time we do wind up becoming friends. Never had anyone scrutinize anything.

The Russian people I've met we're really nice. I spent the day on a day-cruise with several. Nice people, glad to see they are touring.

prefabs, I am interested to know which immigration departure zone that you used yest morn? Was it the east one or the west one? Did you check the number of exiting pax in the other one before entering the one you did?

They tend to have very different pax exiting patterns depending on the time of day. For example, and in general, in the morning the east one is generally more full than the west one given the number of departing TG flights. In mid to late evening the west zone tends to be very busy given the number of european flights.

Have a look at the reviews that are coming in for Suvarnabhumi at Skytrax, and a lot of people read Skytrax reviews:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airports/Airport_forum/bkk-suv.htm

Or how about this from Thailand's Deputy Minister for Transport:

Thailand’s Ministry of Transport has continued to hold on to the hope that Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi International Airport will one day become the primary hub for aviation in Southeast Asia.

Thailand’s deputy minister for transport, Chadchart Sittipunt, said that among the unresolved obstacles were problems, such as lengthy immigration procedures, and baggage claim systems taking up much more time than originally planned. Mr. Chadchart highlighted Suvanabhumi’s baggage claim process time, which he claims takes 90 minutes on average.

http://www.thaitravelnews.net/airlines/suvarnabhumi-baggage-claim-immigration-slower-than-regional-average/

Word is getting around, and seriously - AOT and Immigration need to do something about these issues, as it is bound to begin affecting tourist arrivals, or even MICE and business visitors.

But as the OP says all the desks are for Thai of Foreigners now on departure, they certainly were when I went through last week, so there would be no advantage in trying to do that.

By the way I went through last week for a 06.50 flight and was through in 5/10 minutes, I had allowed myself plenty of time and ended up with a long wait airside.

Edit - I hadn't read all the posts before I responded, I see it's all ready been pointed out, sorry.

Edited by theoldgit

I spoke to a Frenchman who said that his airport experiences had made up his mind about coming back, no way would he put himself through this again.

Yeah like Charles De Gualle has anything over Swampy, not defending Swampy as I have no dog in this fight but CDG is the absolute worst airport I've ever had the misfortune of being in.

Edited by WarpSpeed

'Thailand’s Ministry of Transport has continued to hold on to the hope that Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi International Airport will one day become the primary hub for aviation in Southeast Asia.

Thailand’s deputy minister for transport, Chadchart Sittipunt, said that among the unresolved obstacles were problems, such as lengthy immigration procedures, and baggage claim systems taking up much more time than originally planned. Mr. Chadchart highlighted Suvanabhumi’s baggage claim process time, which he claims takes 90 minutes on average.'

Sounds like Khun Chadchart Sittipunt has always fast-tracked through immigration and has been a bit miffed to find his bags were not always waiting for him.

For the average punter I would say that there is a 99.99 p.c. chance that your bags will be waiting for you after your 90 minute wait to get through immigration (i do exaggerate a bit because I think you can do it in 45 minutes if you are lucky)

They weren't having any of that this last time. Checking everybody very carefully as soooooo many Russians were trying it also.

I had a group of Russians trying the game of putting one person in each of several lines and then jumping back and forth when one line got the closest. There were 6 of them, split among 3 lines. They would even leave the line and then push to get back into the line they left at the same spot. Tried it on my line just as I was getting to the window. I wouldn't let them in and even said I'd yell for help. Everybody in my line agreed and started yelling at them also. They would have gained 1-2 spots by moving lines. Unreal. They were pissed and kept saying things at me in Russian. I did my best Russian back at them. "brosht prosht nyet da brosht prosht".

Good to have our experience confirmed by someone else. They ("the Russians") were trying something similar in our queue. They were a family of 6 who started off a couple of places behind us. One of them gradually weedled their way about 3 places ahead of us and during the course of the general shuffle forwards, they all contrived to join up with the first person. My friend's wife ended up having a "nose to nose" with some stroppy, young Russian woman post-4641-1156694005.gif - we're "senior citizens"!! - no respect for the elderly!!violin.gifneus.gif. Seriously though - it was not pleasant and not the way you would like to end your holiday.

Sorry "mstribling" but you must have been lucky, as in our experience, both this time and on previous visits to LOS over the last 3-4 years, they are not generally "nice people". I'll probably get edited or struck off for this but hey - just telling it like it is!

prefabs, I am interested to know which immigration departure zone that you used yest morn? Was it the east one or the west one? Did you check the number of exiting pax in the other one before entering the one you did?

They tend to have very different pax exiting patterns depending on the time of day. For example, and in general, in the morning the east one is generally more full than the west one given the number of departing TG flights. In mid to late evening the west zone tends to be very busy given the number of european flights.

Are you taking the p*ss? Do you really expect travellers to check numbers pax exiting from which zone? I was in the queue I was DIRECTED to enter

Yeah like Charles De Gualle has anything over Swampy, not defending Swampy as I have no dog in this fight but CDG is the absolute worst airport I've ever had the misfortune of being in.

Like CDG is Thailand related? Should I have lied and just said " a foreigner"? Does it matter which country he came from or was I just unlucky that he was French? Wherever he came from, he was stating his opinion

Like CDG is Thailand related? Should I have lied and just said " a foreigner"? Does it matter which country he came from or was I just unlucky that he was French? Wherever he came from, he was stating his opinion

Yes, just as stated mine!!.... Thailand related???huh.png

Edited by WarpSpeed

Two solid hours before being cleared by immigration. You still had to clear security after that, right? And then march to your gate about 4 kilometers, right?

Again the usual TV nitiwit unable to read. the 2 hrs was safety check included.

And most likely you never walk? the longest distacne to the furthest gate is slightly over 1 km/.

These probably assumed ''jokes'' are not funny at all-the usual parrotting that TV-users tend to like too much. Indeed it would be much better to have shorter Qs if you skipped all those visits to your Tha GFs here and use another country-you likely have less to complain and winge too.

I flew out on the same day as the OP, but was there early morning. Waited in Immigration for oh, 5-10 minutes max. Security went right through. Then wandered around looking at all the closed shops.

• Like 1

I am flying out on 13th to Sydney Emirate airlines around 1900 hrs. Anyone know How long the queue is at that time of night in general? Ok I realise that it could be diffrent from day to day. Looks like check in well before 1500 hrs is best thing to do.

I think it depends on the day as well as time. I flew out to Sing on the 8am flight last Monday and saw queues much as the OP was reporting - not at all like BangkokRick experienced at the same time.

I have a fast track service and heading through fast track was an absoulte zoo, not only passengers but flight crew squeezing through. It was much quicker than regular immigration but goes to show how poor the service is right now.

It is therefore as difficult to predict the immigration time as the commute back to town... On two successive Fridays arriving at 6pm it took 45 mins and then 1hr 45 mins.

It almost seems as if the Thai's don't care, especially when you are leaving and have already spent what ever travelling dollars you planned to spend. Most of the passengers flying out fit one of two categories: 1) one time tourist never to return anyway 2) business person who has no choice as to wheather he is going to return; Both of these categories don't matter to the Thai's. There basically is nothing to be gained by the Thai's to make your departure a pleasant or efficient one.