Factory Workers - How Often Are They Paid?

trevorg

janverbeem:

We've moved away from the original topic, but to answer your question, I was the communications project manager at Wembley Park Station, that had to be open 3 months before the stadium opened for 'trial runs'. With 3 hour work 'windows' in public and operational areas, organising 80+ technicians to perform their tasks at the right place and the right time is not easy to get the staff! Our 3 month programme was reduced to 5 weeks, as a result of the civils, E&M and premises Construction Managers being unable to deliver. We delivered, on time, on budget, safely and without disturbing the operational railway! That is just one of my successful projects!

Back on topic: You haven't answered my question, is it acceptable for someone who's on a 'day rate' to work 6 weeks without being paid, even if they have worked 3 or 4 weeks without fault!

I would love to come down to 'your' site!

janverbeem:

We've moved away from the original topic, but to answer your question, I was the communications project manager at Wembley Park Station, that had to be open 3 months before the stadium opened for 'trial runs'. With 3 hour work 'windows' in public and operational areas, organising 80+ technicians to perform their tasks at the right place and the right time is not easy to get the staff! Our 3 month programme was reduced to 5 weeks, as a result of the civils, E&M and premises Construction Managers being unable to deliver. We delivered, on time, on budget, safely and without disturbing the operational railway! That is just one of my successful projects!

Back on topic: You haven't answered my question, is it acceptable for someone who's on a 'day rate' to work 6 weeks without being paid, even if they have worked 3 or 4 weeks without fault!

Trevor,I have answered your question several times already,problem is that you don't want to see the answer.

You remember my post : this is a topic in the line of....................?

janverbeem:

Trevor,I have answered your question several times already,problem is that you don't want to see the answer.

I understand what you are saying, I also understand that you are not allowed to say it out loud! I also don't agree with you entirely! I'll P.M. you in the near future!

Factory workers, how often are they paid (if they are working in a factory and not a construction site - as then they would be called construction site workers!!)clap2.gif

Companies treat workers the same way they are treated by them...

Are you digging for a merger - happy staff and miserable staff - merged - fantastic!

Were you made to wear a Ronald McDonald (or similar) outfit when you were young?

This is so Off Topic and it's uncalled for!

janverbeem:

I understand what you are saying, I also understand that you are not allowed to say it out loud! I also don't agree with you entirely! I'll P.M. you in the near future!

Factory workers, how often are they paid (if they are working in a factory and not a construction site - as then they would be called construction site workers!!)clap2.gif

Trevor, I and probably nobody has an answer to that question as it is up to the company in question.But I understand that most of the factories in Thailand provide accomodation and food for their workers,which they deduct from the salary.

Also the people I mentioned who i talked to in my previous post are none in the construction business but are factory's and retail businesses.

Janverbeem - I'm not disagreeing with your experience, I'm sharing mine and asking for opinions! However, in all my short 3 years here, I have never heard of this from the village that I live (1000+ parents working 'away', out of a population of 15,000)! But I understand that most of the factories in Thailand provide accomodation and food for their workers,which they deduct from the salary I understand that this may be the case once a worker (or pair -husband and wife workers) is settled for a 3+? month period, but not in my experience, or in the 'new starters' favour. Thank you for sharing. I'll be prepared to finance them until they break through the 6 week barrier, and hopefully they'll move into the factory accommodation with food, and be able to send some money back to feed my grandson (though he won't starve if they don't!). Much love, it's that weird 29th February day again! It only comes every 1461 days!

OP, tons of answers to your question but in the end, there's no answer but more questions.

Factories in Thailand function differently as there's an army of workers reporting to everyone or no one.

Factory employed staffs are paid monthly and above minimum wage with all the bells and whistles. Then you have the factory employed staff with workers who are paid by the factory employed staff and lastly, the outsider with workers to supply the factory.

Above is just an example of the types of workers in a factory. Which or what type of worker your family falls into is hard to say cos everything seems official from uniform to rules. Only difference is the salary and payment due for work done.

janverbeem:

I wonder if ultimately their is no one clear answer to your good question.

I've done consulting work for many Thai companies, large and small, all sorts of industries and some members of my Thai extended family work in factories.

In summary, I'm aware of:

- Paid monthly, paid bi-weekly, paid weekly, paid daily.

- Some paid on due date, many paid late: a few days to a few weeks.

- 'Standard' amount paid bi-weekly, adjustments for overtime paid at end of the month, etc.

- No performance bonus. Performance bonus paid every three months to every year.

- Some provide accommodation, a few free, some at low rates, some at some at local standard rates , some compulsory to stay in provided accommodation.

- Good reports and bad reports about company provided accommodation, including scams to get protection from internal thugs etc etc.

Case by case.

Edited by scorecard

I can tell you from First hand experiance.

My wife worked in a factory. In Sahmut Sahkon, on the outskirts of Bangkok, its an industial Area, She made computers, (assembeling them). She would go to work early on a Monday morning, buy bus, she would work 15 hour days, not by choice, she would sleep at the factory, in rooms provided by the factory, some times six in a room,at a small cost. Return home on Saturday, all for 1500 baht, when she did over time the Forman would take money off her 300 baht and all the other ladys. Her pay for the month was 6500 baht. The Owners where Japanies. the Factory was run by an English man , who thought nothing of calling for a girl/lady for sexual favours, if the girl/lady did not comply they where out of a job.My wife asked why she had to pay 300baht for over time, that was the end of her job, after working there for 6 years. If a lady is over 30 she is classed as to old to work there, Also there where many Burmiese working for half the pay of the Thais because they have less if any rights. She was paid Monthly but had to cheak her wages, They where paid into her Bank, which she had to have to get paid.I know because i have seen her six year History of being paid from Calcom, the factory where she worked.

Edited by Thongkorn

Scorecard and Thongkorn. thank you for your replies. There is obviously no 'standard employment law' within the factories and there are also people making 'backhander' extra money from exploiting 'short term workers'. I also accept that the truth may have been stretched in the past by my family. I will provide the extra financial support for them to make the 6 weeks and my wife and I will make it quite clear that they must do everything within their powers to reach that goal (though I think they know this already). If they get blown out by their factories before they are able to reach this target, then my concerns will be realised, and I won't be sending an e-mail!