Salt Water

jackinbkk

I know Thailand is blessed with many great species of saltwater fish as well. Tuna, GT, Snapper and Queenfish but the waters seem to be heavily overfished.

Is there anywhere along the coastline from chon buri to Hua Hin where some good fish could be caught?

I would really like to try some shore based jigging like this:

I would also be interested in any boat trips out to reefs where these species may be found. Non of those trolling trips though. Catching 3lb tuna on marlin tackle isnt for me.

I might hire a long tail boat to take me out if you think that's posible in the area.

Has anyone ever caught any black tip or white tip reef sharks? They look like they would put up a good fight.

You can catch some exotic stingray off the beach to about 15kg to 20kg just 15 minutes north of Cha Am, its beaitful place to spend a day too. The locals line up about 15 rods though to get one or two fish usually, the stingray are the type with the large spots on their back (or at least the ones Ive seen caught are. Locals also jig off the granite outcrops just south of Hua Hin places like Ko Takieb, but it looks hellishly dangerours to me and little in the way of reward from what i have seen. Ooops am I being helpful? I apologise! LOL

You can catch some exotic stingray off the beach to about 15kg to 20kg just 15 minutes north of Cha Am, its beaitful place to spend a day too. The locals line up about 15 rods though to get one or two fish usually, the stingray are the type with the large spots on their back (or at least the ones Ive seen caught are. Locals also jig off the granite outcrops just south of Hua Hin places like Ko Takieb, but it looks hellishly dangerours to me and little in the way of reward from what i have seen. Ooops am I being helpful? I apologise! LOL

Yea yea.. im sure nobody said your not a nice guy. All the banter on this forum about guides and such is nothing personal. Just a difference of opinion.

I know absolutely nothing of sea fishing except the few times i tried it it did not go well. Id rather not catch at a lake then on the ocean. At least i can enjoy my food then without too much disturbance of the waves.

Yea yea.. im sure nobody said your not a nice guy. All the banter on this forum about guides and such is nothing personal. Just a difference of opinion.

I know absolutely nothing of sea fishing except the few times i tried it it did not go well. Id rather not catch at a lake then on the ocean. At least i can enjoy my food then without too much disturbance of the waves.

What gets me is the corrosion from salt water on nice tackle. I have greased all my reels inside with yamaha marine grease. But it'll mean stripping them down each trip and doing it again. So i'll stick to one reel.

Hello,

I have fished many places along the bank near Chonburi and the fishing has been pretty spotty. Once in a while you can catch a really big fish. I caught an 8 kilo stingray near Koh Loi and a five kilo silver fish off the Bangsean pier. A place I will go this Sunday will be the Lam Chabang port where some days they do really well. The problem is that there is so much netting in the shallow water, that the good fishing will be out in a boat. If you want to split a boat trip some weekend, email me and we can go out of Jomtien beach. A friend knows a guy that will take two people out for only 2500 baht.

[email protected]

Hello,

I have fished many places along the bank near Chonburi and the fishing has been pretty spotty. Once in a while you can catch a really big fish. I caught an 8 kilo stingray near Koh Loi and a five kilo silver fish off the Bangsean pier. A place I will go this Sunday will be the Lam Chabang port where some days they do really well. The problem is that there is so much netting in the shallow water, that the good fishing will be out in a boat. If you want to split a boat trip some weekend, email me and we can go out of Jomtien beach. A friend knows a guy that will take two people out for only 2500 baht.

[email protected]

Thanks ufishin. If I can make a trip I will let you know in advance. Thanks for the stingray info too.

• 2 months later...

I also heard about this from a friend but I'm not sure of the exact location - do you have the name of the place or directions? Cheers