Get Depressed! What Car Would You Be Driving?

mjj

As this is a motor forum, i guess its safe to say we are all petrolheads in one way or another. So, my question to you is, what car would you be driving now, if you hadn't moved to Thailand?

For me i guess it would be a BMW M3. Not the current one, the shape with the first CSL version. I guess that version stopped about 5 years ago......

Over to you....

Too many options to list and that's going to be my biggest pleasurable conundrum once I get back later this year... An IS 250 or 300 is on the top of the list though but then again so is a Passat and many other VW products, unfortunately I lose the option of a SEAT though and that is a big disappointment..

Edited by WarpSpeed

My last car in the UK was a Jaguar S-Type SE V8 in minstral blue (brand new ordered from Loxley Jaguar) with every pack except the phone (couldn't have that with the 12 speaker sterio system and sat nav - just no space of the electronics apparantly) - god I loved that car :(

Mrs had a Dodge, also new (newer than te Jag actually, by 3 years when she got it), in ferrari red with all the gadgets (Jag had em too of course).

Now I drive a beat up Lancia - it was crashed into 5 times in the first year I had it (3 years ago) - 4 times whilst parked and once when I was broadsided by an idiot overtaking on the wrong side of the road whilst turning right - I was half way around when he pulled out two cars behind and gunned it right into me! No way would I want my Jag or the Dodge here I'd constantly be in tears!

If I still lived in Denmark I would be driving some old piece of shit.

DK got about the most expensive car in the world, tax is + 200%, crazy stuff.

Gasoline prices is in the top 5 world most expensive too, so only max 1600cc engine.

Ah yes need winter tires for the cold month as well for ice/snow covered roads, they salt the roads so your car disappears under you, he-he.

In that regard I don't miss my old country at all.

My last car in the UK was a Jaguar S-Type SE V8 in minstral blue (brand new ordered from Loxley Jaguar) with every pack except the phone (couldn't have that with the 12 speaker sterio system and sat nav - just no space of the electronics apparantly) - god I loved that car sad.png

Mrs had a Dodge, also new (newer than te Jag actually, by 3 years when she got it), in ferrari red with all the gadgets (Jag had em too of course).

Now I drive a beat up Lancia - it was crashed into 5 times in the first year I had it (3 years ago) - 4 times whilst parked and once when I was broadsided by an idiot overtaking on the wrong side of the road whilst turning right - I was half way around when he pulled out two cars behind and gunned it right into me! No way would I want my Jag or the Dodge here I'd constantly be in tears!

dam_n! That car's got a target on it!! Some cars are like that magnets for others in the wrong ways..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Warp, I had a SEAT before I left the UK. A lovely Leon Cupra R in yellow chipped for about 270 bhp. I (very) briefly thought about importing it to Thailand, until i read various threads about how (not) to do it.

If we talking new it would be a toss up between the new Porsche Caymen R or the BMW 1 series M.

Other than that I guess I'd have to pursue my interest in either a classic 911 (either mid 70's or 1980's club sport) a Caterham 7 or a classic Golf GTi.. Really is a huge choice from budget classic to 50k's worth of modern sports car.. Pretty certain I couldn't be satisfied with just one car.. Especially after being 'starved' out here in Asia for what seems like forever.

Warp, I had a SEAT before I left the UK. A lovely Leon Cupra R in yellow chipped for about 270 bhp. I (very) briefly thought about importing it to Thailand, until i read various threads about how (not) to do it.

Lucky you, I would love to have one of those here.. The SEATs have nice lines IMO with all of the VW fun, practicality and durability...

Pretty much as Pdaz - After being starved in Thailand I'd be like a kid in sweetie shop in the UK and wouldn't be satisfied with just one car...

Which means I would have to resort back to an old thread with asked which 3 cars could we choose...

But, Just one car... Gosh thats difficult, especially when considering in fuel and insurance costs... Range Rover Vogue - costs lots to run. Aston, Lambo, Ferarri F430 etc costs lots to insure, Classic Porsche 356 costs lots to upkeep, is a nice option, but I'd like modern safety.

Realistically: Range Rover Evoque SD4 (the 4 door diesel one).

I think I’d buy the MB SLK Roadster for my wife, not because I think it’s a good car, but it’s only $50K and she would cream looking at it and be calling and sending pictures to all her friends. I could get my money’s worth without even leaving the house!

If I still lived in Canada I'd have a Ford SVT Raptor pickup for winter and everyday driving and a ZR1 Corvette (if I could get one) or a Z06 Corvette for fun.

Hard to go wrong with a 'Vette, you can drive them forever and they stay in style. Also pretty economical except for insurance. Only bummer is getting in and out...

The new Camaro ZL1 is worth a look at $54K as wellas w

Previous car (in Hong Kong) was a Porsche Boxster S. Would still be driving it were it not for the move to Samui.

Currently renting (long-term) a Suzuki Caribean. Think I prefer the Suzy...

Edited for spelling

Edited by Chantra

I have pretty cheap tastes.

BMW M 1 series

JCW Mini Cooper S

VW Golf R or ABT or APR fully worked one

Audi RS3

Plus a classic cheap hot hatch

Daihatsu Charade GTti

If I had the cash, probably get a car for the sunday drive as well

Maserati Gran Turismo

Lotus Exige

And lastly one for the work stuff when I need to move things around

Some sort of pick up

All up not much money at all.....

Right now I am putting the emissions hardware back on my 2002 Mustang GT so I can sell her before returning to Thailand next month. Is she the best pony car around? No, The Fastest? No But I will miss her. She's been sitting for too long, gotta bring her back to life and make her shine.

Maybe if the move is permanent a 1st get celica liftback with a 1uzfe will take away the pain.

And if I move back to the US, I will pick up a 2013 Mustang GT. So it's not ALL bad.

Edited by BlackArtemis

Lucky enough I have a dream car here in Thailand: AUDI S5 Sportback, with ABT Tuning to 420 HP.

But I am just back from a week in cold Switzerland. So many great cars on the road there, all of which would be horribly expensive here. So what would I want to drive in Switzerland? Must have a lot of HP, and I mean a lot! (only more than enough is enough) and obviously 4-wheel drive (there is snow on the roads in Switzerland).

That narrows it down to a few. How about a Ferrari FF? OK, too show-off. Well, a Benz CLS 63 AMG with 4-wheel drive, but does that exist?

How about another AUDI ? Perhaps the RS5 or the S7 with this new engine they also put in the Bentley Continental?

I would never buy a new car here,as i could kill a thai if he smashed my car then said solly no insurlance..

In the uk its was any car valued at 25,000gbp or lower,and one of the nicest drives for me was the Vauxhall Omega automatic.

In Thailand i bought a 3 year old Hyundai,the first second hand car since i was 19,kept it for 7 years and gave it away almost for 50,000 baht to a friend.Now i find i dont need a car but will renew my thai 5 year license just in case.If i need one i rent now,

Lucky enough I have a dream car here in Thailand: AUDI S5 Sportback, with ABT Tuning to 420 HP.

But I am just back from a week in cold Switzerland. So many great cars on the road there, all of which would be horribly expensive here. So what would I want to drive in Switzerland? Must have a lot of HP, and I mean a lot! (only more than enough is enough) and obviously 4-wheel drive (there is snow on the roads in Switzerland).

That narrows it down to a few. How about a Ferrari FF? OK, too show-off. Well, a Benz CLS 63 AMG with 4-wheel drive, but does that exist?

How about another AUDI ? Perhaps the RS5 or the S7 with this new engine they also put in the Bentley Continental?

Why not just a Bentley Continental? IMHO it's a great all-rounder... With Western prices, Western roads and Western traffic, I'd probably already have one.. violin.gif

RS5's are not that expensive in TH though - gray market ones can be had for around the 6M mark, but then again so can M3's, and so can much more practical cars (for TH) like the Cayenne - now there's a conundrum ;)