Goodbye

Focus

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carefull Ian, an old bloke like you can have a giddy spell at any time and lose focus.

Yah, she lost her favourite knickers over the precipice and asked me to go get them.

What she actually said was "I'll drop my knickers and you go down". And soon you were both over the edge.

• Like 1

Goodbye everyone,

I'm leaving this forum. From time to time, there is some good advice and some good dialogue. However, lately this forum has an overly negative slant to it, in my opinion, from disgruntled westerners who come to this part of the world with their own personal agendas and rigid value systems and base a lot of their opinions about the culture based on their experiences with bar-girls or alcohol oriented people. For example, I post a simple question about building a house or buying a ring for my wife and I just get negative feedback about how dishonest and dangerous the people are here.

Yeah, I know all that, but that wasn't my question.

Later,

Focus

What do you mean lately I find it's been very negative for years there is to many long time posters sit at their pc all day and post just for the sake of posting if you stay away from the general forum it's not to bad sometimes they do follow you onto the other sub forums though I honestly think the mods don't like to ban or suspend the longtime posters although this week was a first when George actually asked someone to slow down with their posts to give other members a chance

Yes as you state a first and a bad president IMO as it was quite unjust and arbitrary as if the system somehow won't allow other posts by other posters because someone else is posting so quickly to answer the multitude of posts (almost 20) that used his previous quotes and required responses after being offline for quite some time (in which the member couldn't possibly post leaving the entire board to other members) on a thread that was moving at light speed.. It was also late at night when most other members are already asleep, nonsense it was, honestly.. As there's no number of posts allowed listed anywhere in the forum rules so we have to guess at what arbitrary number is placed upon us at a given time..

As a result some who have asked questions of the poster have to be ignored not knowing who or how many responses are appropriate? Is that fair to those who've posed their questions on a forum designed to have exchanges and responses to their questions and share ideas and points of view? I say hardly...

whoa fella, how cranked are you tonight? i have read your post thrice, and still wonder, who is this bad president?

to the op: given the increasing rate of banality we find here split between posters and moderation one might ask -- why bother?

one might answer -- why not?

i find thailand and my life here quite easy to understand, though no more easy than anywhere else i have lived. When i do have a problem or a question that cannot be answered with a phone number or an address, i ask someone i trust, do basic research or just get on with it.

thai visa is a form of entertainment. if you seek more from the board, i suggest it is you that is lacking.

Edited by nocturn

Suppose there are a 1,000 posts per day on here.

It's easy to skip 800 posts which are absolutely not relevant or insulting.

Unfortunately, without those 800 irrelevant and insulting posts, this forum is dead meat.

Most of the posters show only their creativity in riding on the OP's back and do not have enough brain-power to come up with OP's themselves, knowing that their precious posts will be buried in loads of crappy replies.

If people first start to read a post properly, think about a reasonable reply and then post, this forum would look a lot better and would be even more valuable for expats, Thailand-interestees and all other folks.

Goodbye everyone,

I'm leaving this forum. From time to time, there is some good advice and some good dialogue. However, lately this forum has an overly negative slant to it, in my opinion, from disgruntled westerners who come to this part of the world with their own personal agendas and rigid value systems and base a lot of their opinions about the culture based on their experiences with bar-girls or alcohol oriented people. For example, I post a simple question about building a house or buying a ring for my wife and I just get negative feedback about how dishonest and dangerous the people are here.

Yeah, I know all that, but that wasn't my question.

Later,

Focus

What do you mean lately I find it's been very negative for years there is to many long time posters sit at their pc all day and post just for the sake of posting if you stay away from the general forum it's not to bad sometimes they do follow you onto the other sub forums though I honestly think the mods don't like to ban or suspend the longtime posters although this week was a first when George actually asked someone to slow down with their posts to give other members a chance

Yes as you state a first and a bad president IMO as it was quite unjust and arbitrary as if the system somehow won't allow other posts by other posters because someone else is posting so quickly to answer the multitude of posts (almost 20) that used his previous quotes and required responses after being offline for quite some time (in which the member couldn't possibly post leaving the entire board to other members) on a thread that was moving at light speed.. It was also late at night when most other members are already asleep, nonsense it was, honestly.. As there's no number of posts allowed listed anywhere in the forum rules so we have to guess at what arbitrary number is placed upon us at a given time..

As a result some who have asked questions of the poster have to be ignored not knowing who or how many responses are appropriate? Is that fair to those who've posed their questions on a forum designed to have exchanges and responses to their questions and share ideas and points of view? I say hardly...

whoa fella, how cranked are you tonight? i have read your post thrice, and still wonder, who is this bad president?

to the op: given the increasing rate of banality we find here split between posters and moderation one might ask -- why bother?

one might answer -- why not?

i find thailand and my life here quite easy to understand, though no more easy than anywhere else i have lived. When i do have a problem or a question that cannot be answered with a phone number or an address, i ask someone i trust, do basic research or just get on with it.

thai visa is a form of entertainment. if you seek more from the board, i suggest it is you that is lacking.

huh.png Have no clue what you're on about?

Carefull Ian, an old bloke like you can have a giddy spell at any time and lose focus.

On second thought, isn't focus the one we want to lose?

I said pretty much the same thing as Focus, but on another forum... but for very different reasons. I kept getting logged out even though I had already logged in many times. And, very often after I had already posted something without logging off or changing forums. I finally just got tired of it and told the members I wouldn't post anymore until I got back to Canada that has a much more reliable system than Thailand. The odd thing is that it seldom happened on this forum or other forums I'm a member of.

Unfortunately, without those 800 irrelevant and insulting posts, this forum is dead meat.

Most of the posters show only their creativity in riding on the OP's back and do not have enough brain-power to come up with OP's themselves, knowing that their precious posts will be buried in loads of crappy replies.

If people first start to read a post properly, think about a reasonable reply and then post, this forum would look a lot better and would be even more valuable for expats, Thailand-interestees and all other folks.

So which is it?

1) The forum would be "dead meat without the irrelevant and insulting posts" or 2) "posters need to think about a reasonable reply"? Presumably making the forum 'dead meat'?

Similarly, 1) posters "do not have enough brain-power to come up with their own posts" or 2) (presumably) they have the brain-power but know that "their posts will be buried in crappy replies"?

I don't think the ignore button works that well. You don't get to read the person you want to ignore but that quote will show up in another person's quote. So you see it anyway, if quoted.

But don't quote me. jerk.gif

Ian, I don't believe we got to the bottom of the rules for posting photos. Very vague rule and I think totally misinterpreted.

Oops, maybe I'm about to have a holiday.

I don't think the ignore button works that well. You don't get to read the person you want to ignore but that quote will show up in another person's quote. So you see it anyway, if quoted.

But don't quote me. jerk.gif

Ian, I don't believe we got to the bottom of the rules for posting photos. Very vague rule and I think totally misinterpreted.

Oops, maybe I'm about to have a holiday.

Sorry - off topic I know, but I can see no reason why it should be against the rules to post pictures of oneself.

Perhaps it would be better if forum rules just prevented photos of other people - unless it is necessarily part of the thread? i.e. posts in Thailand News?

• Like 1

So which is it?

1) The forum would be "dead meat without the irrelevant and insulting posts" or 2) "posters need to think about a reasonable reply"? Presumably making the forum 'dead meat'?

Similarly, 1) posters "do not have enough brain-power to come up with their own posts" or 2) (presumably) they have the brain-power but know that "their posts will be buried in crappy replies"?

Yessssss, a perfect example of a non-relevant and crappy post.

3,350 more of them.....what a waste of time.

So which is it?

Yessssss, a perfect example of a non-relevant and crappy post.

3,350 more of them.....what a waste of time.

Tut Tut, that's not nice is it. coffee1.gif

giggle.gif Come on Focus, send a post telling us your story.... we won't bite....honest.

Oh, don't... that just doesn't seem fair.

He'll get blethered black and blue...tartan... cold be black watch with a bit of green through it...

SC

• Like 1

I totally agree about all the chronic malcontents who seem to monopolize this forum, though I've just assumed that they're the people who don't have anything to do with their time except complain in forums. I traveled regularly to Thailand for many years before moving here. Its still the real world and not perfect, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, and don't plan to. In general, I love Thailand and Thai women, been happily married to one for 5 years and I know I"m far from alone in this respect. You have to wonder about these people who have such a difficult time in Thailand. Maybe Thailand for whatever reason attracts an inordinate number of loser farangs. People with such negative attitudes aren't going to be happy anywhere.

• Like 1

I totally agree about all the chronic malcontents who seem to monopolize this forum, though I've just assumed that they're the people who don't have anything to do with their time except complain in forums. I traveled regularly to Thailand for many years before moving here. Its still the real world and not perfect, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, and don't plan to. In general, I love Thailand and Thai women, been happily married to one for 5 years and I know I"m far from alone in this respect. You have to wonder about these people who have such a difficult time in Thailand. Maybe Thailand for whatever reason attracts an inordinate number of loser farangs. People with such negative attitudes aren't going to be happy anywhere.

Do you think the information highway that has now turned into a highspeed link is influencing the attitude of some arrivals

I say this because I got to know Thailand before I ever read all the negative stuff posted on the internet, I feel making my own way, my own mistakes, having a balance of experiences, and learning hold a tolerant attitude to things I was unsure about, has all worked in my favour.

I stopped posting on Thai Visa about 4 years ago, and I've only started posting again in the last couple of days. There are some highly negative people on here and it can be draining and frustrating. The reality is that Thailand tends to attract more than its fair share of the ‘walking wounded’ and these forums act as an outlet for some who might do better with a therapist.

I can assure the OP that life in Thailand does continue without TV, but it might be best to not bang the door too hard when you leave. I had a bit of a hissy fit with the mods on here before my break, but I didn't quite cross the line into being banned. It is always best not to burn your bridges smile.png The nice thing is you can leave for years and the people on here will still be having the same conversations – maybe there is something comforting in that.

Reasons for edit; changed with to without secong paragraph

Edited by garro