Davy Jones Of The Monkees Dies Aged 66

webfact

Davy Jones of The Monkees dies aged 66

Davy Jones, Manchester-born lead singer with 60s band The Monkees, has died aged 66, his publicist has confirmed.

He died in his sleep at his home in Florida. His publicist, Deborah Robicheau, said he had had a massive heart attack.

Brought together for a US TV series in 1966, Jones, Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork hits included Daydream Believer and I'm a Believer. [more...]

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17214430

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2012-03-01

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If each person of Davy Jones' stature (and above) gets a headline tribute, then the next 10,000 daily headlines will have tributes to deceased celebrities.

He was a little more i'd say, the Monkees were Americas answer to the Beatles, (with a Brit lead singer lol ) deserves and earned a headline,!!

• Like 1

i loved the Monkees, they were essential teenage viewing on Saturday mornings in the UK

i saw them many years later on a reunion tour at Demontfort Hall in Leicester around 1990

i met them backstage, Davy was a real gentleman

he had time for everyone, even after a long show.

as another one of my childhood heroes passes over too soon and serves to remind me of my own mortality

i for one will miss him.

RIP Davy - the Manchester cowboy........

• Like 2

Possibly the first manufactured group who actually turned out some pretty good stuff, "Last train to Clarkesville." was I think the first but my favourite, not the usual ones was "A little bit me, a lit bit you." Memories of the summer time in Hunstanton Norfolk, particularyly like the organ solo. 66 and a heart attack, trat everyday as you last chums we are all on borrowed time.

If each person of Davy Jones' stature (and above) gets a headline tribute, then the next 10,000 daily headlines will have tributes to deceased celebrities.

in 2008, he was voted the top teen idol of all time by Yahoo! Music.

the band had four number one albums in a 13-month period.

many people have had greater tributes for doing a lot less.............

Edited by timekeeper
  • Like 1

from Wikipedia

Dolenz and Jones took advantage of this, joining ex-Monkees songwriters Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart to tour the United States. From 1975 to 1977, as the "Golden Hits of The Monkees" show ("The Guys who Wrote 'Em and the Guys who Sang 'Em!"), they successfully performed in smaller venues such as state fairs and amusement parks, as well as making stops in Japan, Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Source: http://en.wikipedia....iki/The_Monkees

That's not nice. This group made Pop music for us oldies good clean lighthearted fun. Not so evident these days.

• Like 2

He was a little more i'd say, the Monkees were Americas answer to the Beatles, (with a Brit lead singer lol ) deserves and earned a headline,!!

Yes the yanks tried to cash in and copy the beatles but never came within 30 light years of the beatles. Davy Jones was a little before my time but I have heard the music and not really my scene. I'm not taking anything away from him and may he R.I.P.

That's not nice. This group made Pop music for us oldies good clean lighthearted fun. Not so evident these days.

when maidu can lay claim to being the lead singer of a group that sold over 65 million records then he might be qualified to comment in such an unseemly manner

until then he is just demonstrating his own low stature by being disrespectful ...............

Yes the yanks tried to cash in and copy the beatles but never came within 30 light years of the beatles. Davy Jones was a little before my time but I have heard the music and not really my scene. I'm not taking anything away from him and may he R.I.P.

actually music rivalry apart, the Beatles and the Monkees were sometime friends.

The story goes that '''Paul McCartney called Davy up in the '60s and asked him to send some stuff to his daughter, who was a fan of the Monkees.

Mickey Dolenz has 8mm film of George & Ringo at his house, in the canyon, in the late '60s, down in his little home studio, jamming.'''

Those tapes must be great to listen to........

when maidu can lay claim to being the lead singer of a group that sold over 65 million records then he might be qualified to comment in such an unseemly manner

until then he is just demonstrating his own low stature by being disrespectful ...............

The comment was a little unkind, but I guess he wasn't a great fan. wink.png BTW, nice profile pic, TK! cool.png

Thats maidu all right............... a wannabe of low stature.

RIP to a brilliant talented guy. The Monkees were fav.

How very sad. The Monkees belonged to the era when pop music was exactly that - popular. Mums and Dads could join in to sing along or sit with the kids to watch Top of the Pops. Todays music is more 'music to burn missionaries by' or screaming shouting yobos trying to outdo each other in their scruffiness, the lyrics are unintelligible but are usually about some complaint or supposed injustice.

I do wish that beer bars would play music more to the taste of their clientele (NOT Hotel California again pleez!) and not what passes for music these days.Thanks for the memories Davy.

• Like 1

actually music rivalry apart, the Beatles and the Monkees were sometime friends.

The story goes that '''Paul McCartney called Davy up in the '60s and asked him to send some stuff to his daughter, who was a fan of the Monkees.

Mickey Dolenz has 8mm film of George & Ringo at his house, in the canyon, in the late '60s, down in his little home studio, jamming.'''

As I recall McCartney's first child was born in 1969 or 1970, pic of the proud papa holding the kid was on the cover of his first solo album.

Funny, I was just thinking of Jones the other day. Before the group he was famous for playing in the musical "Oliver!" on stage, and they wanted him for the film version but the record company wouldn't give him time off from being a Monkee, and story at the time was he didn't take it well.

Dolenz has been a NYC radio dj for some years.

Nesmith has met with some interesting fortunes since the band broke up.

Actually you may find this hard to believe but....In 1967 the Monkeys sold more records than the Beatles & the Rolling Stones combined