Davy Jones Of The Monkees Dies Aged 66

webfact

obituary -Davy Jones-BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17215869

well before my time but I believe my mum liked them. Watched this video and what is the song about? I may be a little niave but what is a home coming queen, is the song about coming out (gays) in the 60's? My question is not meant to offend just curious.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be a little niave but what is a home coming queen, is the song about coming out (gays) in the 60's? My question is not meant to offend just curious.

:lol:

No a home coming queen was the popular girl in high school.....Voted Home Coming Queen at the Senior Prom

I may be a little niave but what is a home coming queen, is the song about coming out (gays) in the 60's? My question is not meant to offend just curious.

laugh.png

No a home coming queen was the popular girl in high school.....Voted Home Coming Queen at the Senior Prom

Oh ok thanks we don't have that sort of thing in Australia.

• Like 1

If each person of Davy Jones' stature (and above) gets a headline tribute, then the next 10,000 daily headlines will have tributes to deceased celebrities.

Actually you may find this hard to believe but....In 1967 the Monkeys sold more records than the Beatles & the Rolling Stones combined

Monkees , it's an american band rolleyes.gif

Edited by JurgenG

Their Music is attached to so many memories of my childhood. Now, I have a problem as since 8am when I first read this thread the songs 'I'm a believer' and 'Hey Hey were the Monkees' have been going round and round my head, and I can't get them out !!!! Aaaaagh! Thanks Davy! On an up note, as we all have to go sometime, I bet, being a mega star in the 60's, and 70's led to the guys in this group living the dream lives of a million men, with countless, indeed rivers of hot young tottie willing to give themselves to the band members, in particular Davy. No wonder he had a heart attack at 66, he used so many heartbeats up when he was 20 :). Your innings was too short by far, but I bet it was quality in its hey day! RIP and thanks.

laugh.png

Homecoming Queen (plural Homecoming Queens)

1. (US) In colleges and high schools, a young lady, chosen by her peers, to "reign" over the traditional activities associated with the Homecoming football game

• Like 1

If each person of Davy Jones' stature (and above) gets a headline tribute, then the next 10,000 daily headlines will have tributes to deceased celebrities.

Actually you may find this hard to believe but....In 1967 the Monkeys sold more records than the Beatles & the Rolling Stones combined

Is it? watching the clips on here they sound english. Especially the lead singer very strong English accent. Before my era so I am only asuming.

Is it? watching the clips on here they sound english. Especially the lead singer very strong English accent. Before my era so I am only asuming.

They were an American band, I remember being told when I was young that the Monkeys were an attempt to counter the Beatles, but it didn't go as planned.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

laugh.png

Homecoming Queen (plural Homecoming Queens)

1. (US) In colleges and high schools, a young lady, chosen by her peers, to "reign" over the traditional activities associated with the Homecoming football game

Right dont know why I wrote prom.....yes teh homecoming football game or pep rally etc...

They were an American band, I remember being told when I was young that the Monkeys were an attempt to counter the Beatles, but it didn't go as planned.

They were not an attempt to counter the Beatles so much as an attempt to cash in on the fame of the Beatles. They were a commercially created musical group but the did produce (along with their collaborators) lots of great pop music representative of their time. I think most of them were talented musicians in their own right and it is absolutely appropriate to memorialize the passing of one of these members. They made a positive contribution.

They were obviously an attempt to cash in on the fab four, handsome, fun loving boys atmosphere created by the Beatles, and as such they were very successful, of course musically they were nowhere near, like comparing Hawkwind to Pink Floyd As mentioned by other posters, their weekend half an hour show was one of the highlights of the week, the girls especially liked them.

Interestingly the Beatles were moving away from the loveable moptops image at the time, getting into the Magical Mystery Tour, moves the parents and grannies couldn't follow at all!

I read that Davy Jones was a better drummer than Dolenz and I remember picking up a nice country album by Mike Nesmith in the 70s.

Songs are so embedded in our memories with a time and place, hearing a song like 'The last Train To Clarksville' which i haven't heard for over 40 years I guess, reminds of my schooldays, friends and family, life at that time, knowing those times can never come back, we feel a loss for ourselves, rather than Davy Jones whom we never knew.

Mike Nesmiths Mom created Liquid Paper in the mid 50's and he inherited the Liquid Paper fortune - sold to Gillette in the late 1970's for around $50million.

IBM declined to buy it in the very early days for pennies...much like they did with Microsoft's DOS...yet they thought buying Lotus Development and OS2 were good ideas...

Dumbasses.

That's because Davy was from Manchester, England.

i loved the Monkees, they were essential teenage viewing on Saturday mornings in the UK

i saw them many years later on a reunion tour at Demontfort Hall in Leicester around 1990

i met them backstage, Davy was a real gentleman

he had time for everyone, even after a long show.

as another one of my childhood heroes passes over too soon and serves to remind me of my own mortality

i for one will miss him.

RIP Davy - the Manchester cowboy........

Ditto.

I'll never forget hearing "I'm a Believer" for the first time.

Mike Nesmiths Mom created Liquid Paper in the mid 50's and he inherited the Liquid Paper fortune - sold to Gillette in the late 1970's for around $50million.

IBM declined to buy it in the very early days for pennies...much like they did with Microsoft's DOS...yet they thought buying Lotus Development and OS2 were good ideas...

Dumbasses.

...and I have no idea why I even posted that.

RIP Davy. You filled many Saturday mornings in between Wrestling and Gilligan's Island.

They were not an attempt to counter the Beatles so much as an attempt to cash in on the fame of the Beatles. They were a commercially created musical group but the did produce (along with their collaborators) lots of great pop music representative of their time. I think most of them were talented musicians in their own right and it is absolutely appropriate to memorialize the passing of one of these members. They made a positive contribution.

I think it's more true to say that some of them BECAME talented musicians in their own right. When they were selected, it was for their visual and vocal appeal, as they were not even allowed to play on their early records. In fact, when they started to tour, they had a lot of problems with people thinking that they couldn't play their own instruments. Their early songs were written by songwriters and played by session artists. Only the vocals were theirs.

When they started to demand the right to play their own songs, it caused the demise of the group, as frankly some of their own stuff was dire. "Head", the movie, was one of the worst I've ever seen- to say it was cr_p would be an understatement!

The producer of the Monkees was so PO about what they did, that his next manufactured group was animated, so there could never be a similar problem. He made The Archies, which had mega hits, made millions and never caused any problems for anyone.

laugh.png

Oh ok thanks we don't have that sort of thing in Australia.

Home coming queen was typically the most popular

and often prettiest girl with half a brain in the school.

But some went to extreme lengths to get votes for this.

There are several movies dedicate to this American Archetype.

Both sweet and psychotic.

There was typically a home coming King too.

Homecoming is the tradition of welcoming back alumni of a school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homecoming

In more than a few cases the Home Coming Queen title was the highlight of a girls life,

and she never got past that highlight, and was often daydreaming of this past glory.

And so not seeing the nice guy in front of their face they SHOULD be taking seriously and not for granted.

So this is a 'well your living in the past, wake up girl or I'm gone 'song,

'flying' timestamp='1330580396' post='5099660'

It was an attempt to take a piece of the pop music pie, And a segment of Saturday morning TV.

At this time bands were hitting, so a full band was good, rather than just

a couple ( Frankie and Annette) or single act ( Bobby Darrin).

Plus more possibilities for on screen interaction of personalities.

Yes the British Invasion was in play, but there were many pop bands in America at the time.

Paul Revere and The Raiders, Sam The Sham and the Pharohs, The McCoys (Rick Derringer)

From a TV point of view this was more like a targeted teen pop act,

that had group dynamics and pre-scripted personalities and such.

They got Boyce and Hart to well respected pop song writers,

with a pre-existing solid track record of hits. It was manufactured like

The Spice Girls, but with TV in mind, not just MTV.

But no doubts the TV directors paid homage to Beatles films,

while Americanizing the hijinks. That was the producers decisions,

and not the bands, they were singing actors. Nesmith chaffed under

some of the stupidities, but eventually channeled that into

working more closely with Boyce and Hart.

Mike Nesmith was the most qualified musician, but had less charisma.

Still he had some solid and respected success on his own in the business

over the years playing music he wrote and songs he liked,

and never tried to be a pop idol.

Davy had a sweet voice that served the songs well.

He had charisma in truckloads and ever 11 girl wanted to marry him.

The obits for Davy have actual dwarfed the ones for Whitney.

There are grandmothers crying last night, transported back to their preteen years

just remembering him. He was a cultural touchstone for their lives in ways the Beatles were not.

Even if the Beatles catalog has had more long term legs.

But in the 60's if a house had a record player and a kid in Jr. High,

there was at least 1 Monkees album in that house. Even if the parents

wouldn't allow a Stones or Beatles album on the property.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

He was a little more i'd say, the Monkees were Americas answer to the Beatles, (with a Brit lead singer lol ) deserves and earned a headline,!!

Hmmm...while I'm sure you make great pizza, I'd have to differ on the subject of the Monkees being America's answer to the Beatles.

The Monkees were a totally studio-manufactured bubble-gum group, whose only comparison to the Beatles was in their creator's heads. True, their personas were inspired by A Hard Day's Night, but they were not anywhere near the musicians that the Beatles were, nor was there ever such a comparison made by any serious music critic. Peter Tork was arguably a great musician, and Dolenz had the vocal sound that eventually made the group recognizable, but they had very little songwriting capability compared to Lennon/McCartney or George Harrison.

While I enjoyed many of their songs, any comparison with the Beatles is ludicrous.

RIP Davy.

As for America's answer to the Beatles - it's better stated that the Beatles were Britain's answer to The Beach Boys, who were making little surfer girls in Hermosa Beach wet their panties before anyone ever HEARD of the Mop Top Four...

• Like 2

He was a little more i'd say, the Monkees were Americas answer to the Beatles, (with a Brit lead singer lol ) deserves and earned a headline,!!

Hmmm...while I'm sure you make great pizza, I'd have to differ on the subject of the Monkees being America's answer to the Beatles.

The Monkees were a totally studio-manufactured bubble-gum group, whose only comparison to the Beatles was in their creator's heads. True, their personas were inspired by A Hard Day's Night, but they were not anywhere near the musicians that the Beatles were, nor was there ever such a comparison made by any serious music critic. Peter Tork was arguably a great musician, and Dolenz had the vocal sound that eventually made the group recognizable, but they had very little songwriting capability compared to Lennon/McCartney or George Harrison.

While I enjoyed many of their songs, any comparison with the Beatles is ludicrous.

RIP Davy.

As for America's answer to the Beatles - it's better stated that the Beatles were Britain's answer to The Beach Boys, who were making little surfer girls in Hermosa Beach wet their panties before anyone ever HEARD of the Mop Top Four...

Monkees music was a "tribute" imitation of the Beatles but the Beatles were really a rock band with none of the surfing references of the Beach Boys. Their early repertoire owed more to Little Richard and musicians of that era.

The Monkees were never considered much more than a spoof on the Beatles, but their first LP was pretty good anyway. They were an American band, but Davey Jones was English and "the cute one" - like a Paul McCartney without the musical genius.

Edited by Ulysses G.

...we're too busy singin' to put anybody down...

Lyrics to Hey Hey We're The Monkeys (Theme) :

Here we come, walking down the street

We get the funniest looks from everyone we meet.

Hey, hey, we're the monkees

And people say we monkey around,

But we're too busy singing

To put anybody down.

You know that we want to

Do what we like to do,

The only time we get restless

Is around something new

Hey, hey, we're the monkees

And people say we monkey around,

But we're too busy singing

To put anybody down.