The Elusive Quiet Room

OliverKlozerof

My goal is to find a place with *no noise* (especially barking dogs) in the Sukhumvit area. I know that's going to be difficult. Maybe a higher floor in an apartment building? Anyone know of a quiet place? Of course, there would also have to be a rule against keeping dogs, otherwise distance from the ground would be of no use. I'd prefer 2 rooms, but one large room would work.

Thx

We had an inside room and it was quiet. Except for the birds the Chinese owner kept in the lobby. Though it was like living in a cave!

Turn on a fan to help mask outside noise, get heavy curtains. Double pane windows help a lot...if you can find them.

Might want to test out the apartment and general area at different times during the day and night. You can never be sure what kind of noises are around if you only visit in the middle of the day. There could be rush hour traffic that is only loud in the morning, night or morning markets, late night karaoke bars, schools with loud announcement systems, construction, etc. Higher floor does help but if you're right on a big street it can still be loud, facing away from the street helps

Edited by DP25

Might want to test out the apartment and general area at different times during the day and night. You can never be sure what kind of noises are around if you only visit in the middle of the day. There could be rush hour traffic that is only loud in the morning, night or morning markets, late night karaoke bars, schools with loud announcement systems, construction, etc. Higher floor does help but if you're right on a big street it can still be loud, facing away from the street helps

...and don't forget the universally pervasive and penetrating security guard 'whistle' as they direct traffic in and out of buildings and parking spots especially during rush-hours.

TIT

For 3 years I lived in Pinklao on the 20th floor and about 500 meters from the main road (which was busy 20 hours a day) and I chose it because I thought in my naivete that distance from the main road and high above the ground would ensure peace and quiet, WRONG!Down below on the immediate side of the property there were 3 little houses and in one of them the inhabitants kept no fewer than 8 dogs. The problem of dogs fighting, barking and howling day and night was the fact that the Isaan people living in those little houses "made merit" every day feeding soi dogs in the neighborhood too. Soi dogs would prowl the area and competed for the females in the 8 household dog pack which was kept on the loose 24/7. I asked two of those people in the adjacent houses what was the purpose of feeding the soi dogs when most of them looked to be in poor health, namely mange. Moreover, who would clean up the feces those soi dogs produced every day.

Their reply was that it was "Thai way". I tried to make them understand that soi dogs in the numbers found in Bangkok means the existence of clear urban decay. They were not even interested in learning or understanding the concept. The other thorn in my ears were the pick up trucks with PA systems blaring either slogans for the politico who paid for promoting his name or stores attracting potential customers. They drove down the private driveway and adjacent streets blaring their loud screeching messages from early in the morning until night time.

I know that the genus>species>variety of Thai apologists will argue it is part of experiencing Thai culture... So, no matter what you do or where you go be prepared to put up with invasive noise and pollution of all kinds in Bangkok or anywhere in Thailand. TIT, the annoying whistles and perennial PA addresses in supermarkets and malls you will not escape!

Take a clue from this fact: Bangkok is the only city in the world that I know that has access ramps on sidewalks for the benefit of motorcycles to get on and ride on the sidewalks designed to be used by pedestrians everywhere! Go figure.

You must be kidding. This is LOS, Land of Sound. There are no place that do not have loud music and you are worried about dog barking

And that loud music quite often includes Drum `n` Bass 24/7 in residential areas because although many Thais hate the noise they won`t front up the perpetrators like people in the West would.

Well, I guess I'll just have to go looking. Actually the "inside room" someone spoke of might work. I want to make videos for my guitar website. It could be a room dedicated to that, then I could have another room somewhere else for sleeping, etc.

Also, I recently got a job in Mahachai, 45 min. by taxi on the sea. If I could find a quiet room near there, that might even be better (and most likely a lot cheaper).

Actually, the dogs don't bark that often near my current place (in Chitlom, between Langsuan and Rachadamri), but one close one is what I call a yipping rat dog, which, when it goes off, drives me up the wall. (I swear I've damaged my vocal chords screaming obsenities out the window at its owners.) Being a musician, I suppose I'm hypersensitive to annoying sounds, and the barking of dogs is simply the most stressful thing in my life at the moment.

There are also guys who sometimes drink beer in the alley behind my place until 1:00 a.m. or so. They're not that loud, but something about the sound of their talking keeps me awake. I've resorted to running a loud "white noise" loop on my stereo, while wearing wax earplugs and pillows on both sides of my head. Then I wake up around 3:00 a.m. and take the earplugs out. To mask the dogs, I keep either rock or the white noise going whenever I'm home....

Dude, you want quiet? Leave Thailand. Silence does not exist in this country. I joke with my wife that it is illegal for it to be quiet in Thailand.

Not being a smart ass or anything. I have yet to find a quiet place in this country.

Even if you are out in the sticks, there is still noise. Like from certain insects. They are LOUD!

Btw, China is worse. Go to Norway or Sweden. It is quiet as f&&&.