Relocating From Australia To Udon Thani

kirkieb

Am currently considering with my Thai wife to relocate to Udon from Brisbane Australia and in the interim rent a comfortable place furnished for around 15000 Baht per month. My income is now from a military Pension and is approx 100.000 Baht per mth give or take. Having spent alot of time in Thailand and my wife is from the Kalasin area, what should I consider before deciding to relocate? I am thinking Udon Thani merely for the many Westerners already there and from what I understand its a nice place to live for most, for one month in May to do a Recce and see whats available. What can I do with myself during the day and what projects I can sink my teeth into. Love to know what you all think and what advise you may offer.

Thanks

Brad

Live for one month in udon and also try one month in khon kaen as i prefer khon kaen and many falang live khon kaen too.

I lived in a small village in kalasin for 3 years but even though i miss the village life i love living in khon kaen city as everything i need here and falang bars too, but not as many as udon.

Spending a lot of time here and living here is two different worlds.

Your wife is with you and you have 100k baht a month to live on, which I am guessing is plenty in either place, Australia or Thailand, or should be. Come visit and do your recon, and then you will understand this statement, “why the **** would you leave Australia to live in this corrupt, stone age of a sh*thole country”

Udon is polluted and congested, and the only reason I would leave Australia would be to get away from local people, which begs to ask, why go to a place that has too many foreigners already. Kalasin would be nice for her to be near family, but that’s in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of NE Thailand nowhere.

If you’re going to leave there to come here, stick to a beach location, though your beaches are better, but may be out of budget to live at. Hindsight, that’s where I would be, though would have to be non-tourist area, plenty along gulf or Andaman side.

Before an idiot asks, why I live here, in Udon Thani, it’s only because one of my loved ones can’t leave for another 5 years. 7 yrs. if thinking of leaving country, though doubtful, but will base in udon and stay at the beaches most of the time. Tick tock, can’t come soon enough.Spending a lot of time here and living here is two different worlds.

Your wife is with you and you have 100k baht a month to live on, which I am guessing is plenty in either place, Australia or Thailand, or should be. Come visit and do your recon, and then you will understand this statement, “why the **** would you leave Australia to live in this corrupt, stone age or a sh*thole country”

Udon is polluted and congested, and the only reason I would leave Australia would be to get away from local people, which begs to ask, why go to a place that has too many foreigners already. Kalasin would be nice for her to be near family, but that’s in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of NE Thailand nowhere.

If you’re going to leave there to come here, stick to a beach location, though your beaches are better, but may be out of budget to live at. Hindsight, that’s where I would be, though would have to be non-tourist area, plenty along gulf or Andaman side.

Before an idiot asks, why I live here, in Udon Thani, it’s only because one of my loved ones can’t leave for another 5 years. 7 yrs. if thinking of leaving country, though doubtful, but will base in udon and stay at the beaches most of the time. Tick tock, can’t come soon enough.

Edited by laphanphon

Spending a lot of time here and living here is two different worlds.

Your wife is with you and you have 100k baht a month to live on, which I am guessing is plenty in either place, Australia or Thailand, or should be. Come visit and do your recon, and then you will understand this statement, “why the **** would you leave Australia to live in this corrupt, stone age of a sh*thole country”

Before an idiot asks, why I live here, in Udon Thani, it’s only because one of my loved ones can’t leave for another 5 years. 7 yrs. if thinking of leaving country, though doubtful, but will base in udon and stay at the beaches most of the time. Tick tock, can’t come soon enough.Spending a lot of time here and living here is two different worlds.

I doubt very much THB 100,000 per month will get you a lot in Australia. For that same amount of money though, life would be very comfortable in Thailand, especially out of the big cities like Bkk or CM.

To the OP: The biggest challenge about living in Thailand is keeping your spirits up, in spite of all the shortcomings that are prevalent in Thailand. If you fall into the rut that some do, then you will be very unhappy, constantly whining and moaning and cursing what life has thrown at you. On the other hand, if you are go getter kind of person and able to take whatever life throws at you, you will find Thailand an amazing country that has lots to offer to one that is not afraid of getting one's hand dirty.

• Like 1

I doubt very much THB 100,000 per month will get you a lot in Australia. For that same amount of money though, life would be very comfortable in Thailand, especially out of the big cities like Bkk or CM

I dunno thats just over AU3000 a month which in my book aint so bad !!

I'm not sure where you live/d in Australia, but $36,000 a year to live in Australia? That wont go very far at all.

To the OP: Do what makes you happy. If your Military pension is for life, and I assume it could be, you will have few monetary pressures in Thailand compared to OZ. The fact that so many westerners are in Udon shows that many people do make a transition, and a lot probably love it.

I'd start with a list of pros and cons, including hobbies and interests, and if you can get the type of thing you like where you are looking at moving to. A quick simple list goes a long way.

Suggest you ask your mrs.

From what I have seen, most guys end up living in the back of beyond because thats where there mrs is from.

Plenty of time to learn new hobbies such as counting how many buffalo in the paddy opposite your house, what time in the morning the village speakers are going to kick off, you dont love your wife as much as the farang in the next village who gives his mrs 100k baht every month etc etc.

Do what suits you, but make sure your mrs is on the same page, if not wait for the money making opportunities to be presented to you, invest in a snow shoe rental business, employ the worthless family as tour guides, etc etc.

Sorry to be cynical, but you photo shows you as a young guy, what the hell do you want to come to an elephants graveyard for?

• Like 1

May in Udon, its the start of the rainy season and it really starts with a bang, fierce storms and winds, so make sure you have a good umbrella,,

And like the other posters, why do you want to be with falangs? ok, make yourself a small circle of friends, meet once a week, thats what i do, we live 100ks from Udon, its a convenient distance which suits me fine, I like to embrace the thai village life and culture, i learn something new every day about the culture!!! coming up to 6years living here permantley, i dont miss falang company on a daily basis, im self-contended which is important if you want to live here full time, My thai mrs of 7 years is a real rock,

Nobody else has mentioned this, but you start going to bars alone, your Mrs will get jealous as hell, she knows what sort of girls hang around in falang bars, so be very careful in that respect..

Ha ha what great advise both positive and negative, I have to say Im not looking for the bar life its not me unless it entails a jam session with like minded musos maybe once a week for a sunday session. Wife loves the idea I want to go over to Thailand and living in Australia on a limited budget does have its issues. The up side is Im energetic , realistic, supreme optimist and have lived in several asian countries from military life.

There are a few posts hera I would like to get to know the people who wrote them as they seem like my kinda people then there is one or two that I sympathise that the journey for them is either not what they wanted or stuck in a situation that they can have no control over. Life is short and we only get one shot so Im as keen as to look at the ventures. Even like the fact that so far inland there is a fish farm I can get a line wet occassionally ha ha thanks for the response any more advise is very welcome.

Brad

Am surprised by the large amounts of negative responses. Why the hell do some of you stay there if there is nothing there for you. I get that money can be a restriction but also that location can be but surely there are alternatives to those that feel so stuck in their situations.

Have got to say I always see these kinda of moves in a list of many as a new challenge. If I dont have one then why get out of bed.From long military life. My goal is to live outside of Udon not ever been a city kinda guy but like the ammenities cities have to offer so am known to frequent them to finda a hardware or see a movie. Love the idea of volunteering and have done alot of that in various places so can envisage finding a cause and doing my little bit. Am a keen handyman so always looking to do small jobs for friends and family but having to leave my household contents in Australia will mean I will be limited for tools but its cheap enough there to pick up bits and pieces.

I am considering renting only at this point as all the advise I get is dont spend big money in Thailand, not that I have any after previous life ha ha.

Soi can anyone tell me apart from golf and a fishing farm what other activities are there for middle aged guys. Any motorbike clubs that take touring around or even weekend trips? How about gun clubs? Not that Im in either in Brisbane. What about social clubs that have a good BBQ, sing songs and a few quiet drinks?

All Im hearing is get good internet ha ha and make sure wife is on same page surely there is much more than that.

Udon is a decent base. Costs are reasonable and western conveniences available. As for the reputation for having a lot of farang, I don't see them. When shopping, I see a few. If go to farang bars, you see a few. Compared to the tourist destinations down south, not many farang. Inner Udon is now very congested. Look for a house in one of the ring road housing estates. Will definitely need some hobbies or you will get bored. Golf is available in Udon and neighboring Khon Kaen and Laos. Direct flights to bkk, cm, phuket. Check it out for yourself.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

Couple of quick comments. Working/volunteering here is tough. For a variety of reasons, but mostly related to how little money you can make (or how much you can lose trying to open a biz) and how hard it is to get a work visa. Even jamming in a bar is illegal and can (and probably will) end up getting you in trouble. Happens all the time.

Same with volunteering. You have to go about it properly or some over zealous policeman will see it as an opportunity to pluck some money from you. Sad to say this, but true. Thailand is very corrupt. Keep your head down and you'll be fine.

I retired fairly young here. I don't play golf (luckily, as it can be expensive), don't go to the bars, but have developed a very large group of friends which keeps me very busy. Tie that with lots of travel around the region, and I'm doing fine. Otherwise, it can get boring.

• Like 2

I have a place a few hours away from Udon, I absolutely love it there. Negative comments are to be expected, there are a few negative issues about Thailand but in my mind, no more (maybe even less) than in my own country. Before thinking about hobbies etc. the best advice I can give is to learn Thai if you can't speak it already. It never ceases to amaze me how many people move out in to the sticks and don't speak the language, a lot of them become isolated and have to ggo everywhere and do everything with their wives. Speaking Thai will give you tremendous freedom to do what you want. My wife can go out with her sisters and I can do my own thing. I have had no negative experiences from living in the sticks. I have to be honest though, I do travel a lot for work and we also have a place near the beach for breaks, I am sure if I was in the country 100% of the time things might start to grate on me, but that is not a Thailand thing, I can't be in any one place all the time. Good luck though, and you must try it, life is too short, if you don't like it you can always go back home, or somewhere else for that matter.

Your wife is from Kalasin province and I guess she has her family there.

Udon is quite close to K.

So maybe your wife likes the idea because of the reasonable distance?

If it has to be Udon, try to find a place close to but not in the middle of town.

I would make sure that you have a good quality internet and cable TV connection.

I agree that Udon is quite dirty/polluted but attractive for foreigners (the new Central Plaza hopefully to be opened this year).

In Isaan it is most likely the best place to be.

But ask yourself thourougly whether Udon is really the place you want to be?

100k Baht / month allows you a decent life in most places of Thailand.

How important is it for your wife to be close to the family?

Am surprised by the large amounts of negative responses. Why the hell do some of you stay there if there is nothing there for you. I get that money can be a restriction but also that location can be but surely there are alternatives to those that feel so stuck in their situations.

Have got to say I always see these kinda of moves in a list of many as a new challenge. If I dont have one then why get out of bed.From long military life. My goal is to live outside of Udon not ever been a city kinda guy but like the ammenities cities have to offer so am known to frequent them to finda a hardware or see a movie. Love the idea of volunteering and have done alot of that in various places so can envisage finding a cause and doing my little bit. Am a keen handyman so always looking to do small jobs for friends and family but having to leave my household contents in Australia will mean I will be limited for tools but its cheap enough there to pick up bits and pieces.

I am considering renting only at this point as all the advise I get is dont spend big money in Thailand, not that I have any after previous life ha ha.

Soi can anyone tell me apart from golf and a fishing farm what other activities are there for middle aged guys. Any motorbike clubs that take touring around or even weekend trips? How about gun clubs? Not that Im in either in Brisbane. What about social clubs that have a good BBQ, sing songs and a few quiet drinks?

All Im hearing is get good internet ha ha and make sure wife is on same page surely there is much more than that.

I ask myself that question (why are so many posters so negative about their lives here) all the time as I fear that I might fall into the same rut as them. Possible reasons could be a loveless marriage / relationship, difficulty in assimilating (reallllyyy assimilating) into Thai culture and way of life, frustration at the way things work here compared to back home, wanting to go back (as the grass is always greener) but not having sufficient funds to have the standard of living that they currently enjoy, maybe even getting on in life and realising that we are mortals and that life is pretty much downhill from here on.

Instead, what I did was to build a nice comfortable two in one house for myself and the wife's family (they have their living quarters, I have mine and shared living and dining rooms). House is 95% completed and when I have the time, will engage myself in many diy projects, beginning with building a fish pond. I've been playing golf on and off for the last 30 years so will take this up with more passion once I can. Planning to purchase a motorbike shortly so as to ride around the vast countryside and improve the quality of my life. Might well take some guitar lessons to get beyond my basic strumming of C, G and F chords. Get back into woodworking (as a hobby), but this time, using less mechanised tools (my dream is to hand cut a perfect dovetail joint). Maybe raise some chickens for fresh half boiled eggs every morning. A friend suggested to build the chicken coop on top of a fish pond (not the same fish pond as above) as the fish can eat the poo from the chickens and the fish can be sold in the market or just given to the neighbours for consumption. Improve my BBQ's and culinary skills. Maybe join the Hash House Harriers in Ubon. My god, the list is endless as to what I would like to do when I finally retire, hopefully in a five years time or so. As I'm 50, I should be able to get there. As of now, I'm still living in Bkk and travelling extensively for business so I'm really counting the days when I can (hopefully) enjoy the fruits of my labour.

Ultimately, one can live almost anywhere in the world and be happy. It's all in the mindset. Having lived in Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Switzerland, UK and now in Thailand, I can hands down say that this is the best place (for me) so far.

My suggestion would be to check out other areas like Ubon, Yasothon, Roi Et, Sisaket, Surin, Buriram, maybe even Khao Yai (hills compared to flat padi growing plains) and see what appeals to you. You will find farangs almost everywhere you go and some western conveniences. I personally would avoid the likes of Pattaya and Phuket as I think that it's more trouble than it's worth and having spent a lifetime living, working and playing in big cities, I look forward to a more serene and tranquil pace of life.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Lovetotravel told me a few things I had no idea of with the jamming and volunteering side. Cant believe u cant even just have get togethers with no money changin g hands. I know all about the corruption and realise you have to work within it all, surely jamming at your own house is fine.

Its what we all love about Thailand but surely there is ways to do things that everyone can be happy. If I look into a Business it will be for the inlaws and outlaws and for me to just plod around on as Managing Director and not look to draw any funding. more about creating a new purpose for me and doing things for others without being paid. What can I say I enjoy helping out

Lovetotravel told me a few things I had no idea of with the jamming and volunteering side. Cant believe u cant even just have get togethers with no money changin g hands. I know all about the corruption and realise you have to work within it all, surely jamming at your own house is fine.

Its what we all love about Thailand but surely there is ways to do things that everyone can be happy. If I look into a Business it will be for the inlaws and outlaws and for me to just plod around on as Managing Director and not look to draw any funding. more about creating a new purpose for me and doing things for others without being paid. What can I say I enjoy helping out

I could be wrong but I think lovetotravel is referring more to a group of guys jamming at a public house or something similar, where it can be perceived that it's "work". A foreigner is not allowed to work without a proper work permit. I'm pretty certain that there would be no crime committed if a group of guys got together at one of their houses and started to jam - not so sure what the neighbours would think though :)

On the volunteering issues, I also think that a mountain had been made out of a molehill. If I'm not mistaken, this happened during the tsunami in 2004 where some foreign volunteers got into trouble for helping out. I'm not sure about the circumstances but I believe this was very exceptional.

Of course, you are more likely to get into trouble with the BIB in major cities like Bkk but out in the boondocks, life is much more easy going.

Please don't get me wrong. I love Thailand. There are just some things you might not be aware of, that's why some of us are pointing this out.

As for jamming, I was referring to playing at a bar. Even if for free or charity, you can get into trouble. Happens quite often. All it takes is one jealous bar owner to call the police.

As for volunteering, same issue. You probably won't get into any trouble at all. But if somebody gets upset, they can easily call the police on you. Since you are a foreigner, they see dollar signs.

I have quite a few friends who jam in bars on a regular basis. I also know several who were arrested and had to pay fines to stay out of jail. A bit of a risk, IMHO.

As for a family basis, also be careful. To many, you're just a walking ATM. Considering how poor many of them are, it's not far from the truth. Many times, a loan is not really a loan. It's never intended to be paid back. My wife's family is fantastic. I really like them all. But we're still waiting for money to be paid back we loaned out many years ago. It's not much, and we have a land title, but I really would like the agreement to be honored. Oh well, live and learn.

Ok, mr negative is back……LOL…….actually I have a love / hate relationship with Udon / Thailand. Start with the pros: Udon; inexpensive (even for Thailand), decent food town, if needed, close to Laos for visa issues, and a friendly immigration office in Udon, plenty of golf around, and inexpensive, along with fishing places, for catch and release, or take and eat. It’s an up and coming town, Central will add a lot to it when done, shortly, excellent night market scene. A lot more shopping and venues to open within next year, a couple IT places. Supposedly good internet is coming, as its hit and miss now, even in town. Out of town, a bit more hit and miss. Though congested, the town is easy to negotiate, especially daytime, non rush hour, and even easier on a MB. Plenty of nightlife, especially local oriented. Plenty of foreigners, if wanting to bond….LOL.

The cons: some are the same as the pros, it’s congested, polluted, and all the new construction, though will be nice, has no added infrastructure planned, so it will just add to the negatives of congestion and pollution. Obviously, the downtown popular section of town is to be avoided evenings and weekends, but a pleasant experience, once there. Not a factor for me, as I do my in town thing during the day, when most don’t. internet mentioned, and Cable/sat TV is terrible, unless you like footie. Too many foreigners for me, especially downtown. But I can’t complain, as I simply add to the numbers.

The rest of the negative I stated earlier, I think. I suggest you assess what you do now. Such as, if a sports fan, there is none. Culture, such as concerts or plays, none, an occasional one in bkk. Saw Clapton, excellent, but an expensive adventure, and only went because the little lady had never seen a real concert, and she enjoys EC also. About the 10th time that I’ve seen him. You do have to be able to entertain yourself and be in a very stable relationship. Udon and Thailand can be very frustrating. Excellent advice to learn Thai, I know a bit, but trying to learn more, as having a real conversation with locals would be a plus.

Along with golf, fishing, there is also bike clubs, motor and non. Also a shooting range close to town, though a bit expensive, simply because ammo is. Also one out of town, a good hour away, but more relaxed and less expensive. Getting together to play some music shouldn’t be a problem. One bar/restaurant has a do every week, and the lease holder has enough clout not to get in trouble. Volunteering also won’t be a problem, just make sure the choice has card blanche w/immigrations and po po, and hands off volunteers, in writing. I know of only one, but a good one.

Thailand pros and cons, basically the same as Udon, inexpensive, especially beach holidays, off season. I’m out and about 3 months a year, during school break, with exception of pass year, as house building, almost done. Extreme negatives, an extremely, blatantly corrupt country, and scammers everywhere. But since you have Thai wife, will avoid most, as she will do the ‘shopping’ for accommodations and local market shopping. They see you, they charge more, it’s that simple.

Me, like I said, I love the place, I hate the place. Don’t know what 100k baht gets you in ozzy land, but would be more than enough in usa, as my funds are more than enough in usa, since if I went back, housing and transportation would be paid for, so only bill would be living expenses, same as here. so that aspect, things are good. It just can be very frustrating, as I had to go to 7 places to find an item for the house last week, where it would have been one stop shopping in states. Everyone has everything, but nobody has everything of anything. Things are not cheap here, or high quality, compared to the states. What is inexpensive is lack of real estate taxes, so housing isn’t too bad. Wages allows for everything local to be fair prices, and labor done at house is way too inexpensive. Utilities, electric and water, basically, are very inexpensive. 3000 baht a month, and that’s with plenty of AC use. Autos are outrageously priced, period. Auto insurance is average, compared to USA. Electronics are crap and expensive. Though made here, I can buy better versions in states and cheaper. Having a laptop sent over soon, that I couldn’t get here for twice the price, including the shipping and tax I’ll end up paying, and it’s probably made here or in Asia. Go figure.

Best advice is rent rent rent, until you know udon or Thailand is for you. That simple. Get out and about, and check other areas. You can always fly back to visit the little ladies family. But….DO NOT LIVE NEAR IN-LAWS……….LOL, sorry, but best advice, worldwide. Especially in Thailand, as some extended family expect foreigners to finance them…..LOL.

Give it a go, as you can simply turn it into and extended holiday, or may love the place and think I’m nuts. Quite frankly, if I didn’t live here, not sure where I would. Like the states, as has everything I want, and don’t, same same……but different.

• Like 2

Kirkieb

I think you have some great posts here and hope I can add something from my experience.

I live about 90 kilos out of Udon but go there regularly for a night or two. It is a developing town and so much better than it was 6 years ago. If you don't ask to much it has everything. Many good contacts can be made by going in the right farang bars and seeing notices or chance meetings with the right people.

Some really good restaurants (I like Patchanee), better hotels now for a break if you live outside, golf, horse racing (not been yet maybe next month), enough farang for facilities to be there but not overrun like Chiang Mai where I lived before,good shopping,decent healthcare options,all depends on what you want but I would say it's worth a try.

Great advice to rent and there are good places for less than 15,000.

As someone said good for easy visa runs.

I am lucky inlaws all quite well off but a good idea if they are not well off to have a distance between. It still bugs me when I do something that many people do not have the courtesy to say 'thanks' makes you feel a bit unappreciated.

I won't say anything bad about Udon because I genuinely think it is ok and if I see the right place myself maybe move there.

My advice go for it, don't expect everything to fall into place at once and remember you can always try somewhere else if it doesn't tick all the boxes. If you don't take to Udon then nothing east along route 22 will probably suit either.

All the best.

• Like 1

Am amased at the great advise and heads up. Its funny we dont seem to have these posts in our own countries that could help alot of people establish themselves in new areas after transferring . I mean the depth of quality responses is very much appreciated.

So much has been taken onboard from what you have all said.

Im very keen to head over but tickets not until May, As for the in laws well they liove in Nakhu about an hr south west from Sakon Nakhon so thats a couple of hours from Udon I think that will be ok.

Would love to make contact with all of you maybe a beer and a BBQ as I hear the Snags are great there and the beer is cold. Cheers

Thaivisa is a great place for information. You've gotten the negatives (which are great to hear), but there are tons of positives also. For the most part, the people here are fantastic. I've been treated very well by the locals. When I do my regular walk on the beach, I get huge smiles by the vendors. Always a big "sawasdee krup/ka". Or from some, a big "hello!".

My local BBQ guy always welcomes me a hug and his wife with a huge smile. We eat right on the beach, great seafood and several beers, for 500B/couple. Watch the sunset over the bay. Movies are cheap and the theaters are great. Beers at the local pubs are cheap. Billiards tables are everywhere and fun to play.

I was traveling by scooter around my wife's village last year. Saw some young guys trying to catch fish in a pond. They started yelling and I decided to stopped. Over they came with a bottle of whiskey they wanted to share. And then, with huge smiles and lots of laughs, tried to get me to strip to my undies and climb into the pond with them to catch these "mud" fish. What fun....though I did just watch. They never asked for a baht, but shared their whiskey with me. I didn't know them at all.

Speaking Thai will help a lot. I personally find it very difficult to learn, but I'm trying. Many of my friends are quite fluent, many others are not.

Another great thing about being here are the travel opportunities. Take the time to travel around the country. There's so much to see. And do travel to the surrounding countries. They are fantastic to visit...and changing rapidly. Now's the time to visit. If you can, get a car. They are expensive, but hold their value well and are easily resold if needed.

Be careful with scooters! The horror stories are plentiful. Drivers here are a bit aggressive, and some scooter drivers are really bad. Accidents happen all the time. I have one, but drive it rarely. I try to stick to the car. Where you will be is better, I'm near a bigger city.

You can also watch forums. Put a permanent watch on the Issan forum and you will be sent emails with new topics. Also, sign up for the daily newsletter. It's got the top headlines/stories for Thailand. An easy way to stay up to date with only a few minutes of your time every day.

Anyway, hope you come and I know you'll love it. Understanding Thailand has it's issues, but still a fantastic place to live.

just a quick word on your 100k per month ... that can change very quickly with the Aussie dollar ....overnight in fact ... your 100k could turn into 60k , so be aware of that when committing to rentals etc ...the baht is pegged to the USD and is heavily manipulated ..... cheers and goodluck to you

• Like 1

100,000 THB would get you a great place here, plus a good standard of living. You'd be on your own for medical and hospital insurance.

Is that Defence Forces pension taxed or not?

You could rent a smallish, average house on the Gold Coast (QLD) for $1200.00 a month, but nothing as nice as you'd get in Thailand.

I've just left the Gold Coast and moved to Chiang Mai. air quality here somewhat dubious. violin.gif

Accept for my annual trip to Perth and the GC to visit family and friends I've lived in the Udon province, full time, since 2003 and part time 3 years prior. Love it where I am some 80 Km out of the city and only go into town, under sufferance, every 3 to 4 months (I do my 90 day reports by mail). I've found over the years it is just getting too congested, parking is a nightmare, peddle powered samlors drive me nuts etc.

OK so I'm negative about Udon City but positive about the village life in the province. Our Amphor, Ban Dung, caters very well for Farang these days with several well stocked Mimimarts, 2 x 7Elevens, Tesco and any number of general merchandising stores. Where in 2003 there was only 1 ATM machine to service the community we now have some 15 or more, that's the sort of progress we are seeing here.

As soon as you've moved here dress nicely and go with your wife, after making an appointment, to introduce yourself to the local police chief. Discuss your military background, and your plans in Thailand. Invite him over for a drink.

Learn the language well. It changes everything. Then study Thailands culture, which has taken thousands of years to refine: happiness as a discipline, beauty, and tolerance. Pretty cool. Ignore the bad stuff, just as you do inOz.