Makha Bucha Day - Wednesday 7Th March

cardholder

I apologise for regurgitating the time honoured question about bar closures on Buddha Days.

I have tried to find an excellent notice from Pattaya Chamber of Commerce (or similar) that was posted last year. I think it said that were only 3 days in the year that bar could not sell. I think the Kings birthday was one (but the Queen's birthday wasn't), Visakha Buch aday and another ?

Anyone have information - or can point me to the post ?

Imagine not being able to stay out of a bar for 1 night out of religious respect of the country you are visiting. wow.

imagine being so holier than thou to feel comfortable pontificating in such a manner on a public forum..........wow.

Edited by timekeeper
  • Like 1

Imagine not being able to stay out of a bar for 1 night out of religious respect of the country you are visiting. wow.

maybe you need some fixing... i.e. your reading capability... nobody said anything or complained about bar closurs on 7 march... there is only the question whether or not the bars will be closed...

maybe you need some fixing... i.e. your reading capability... nobody said anything or complained about bar closurs on 7 march... there is only the question whether or not the bars will be closed...

Hear hear. My question was asked because I have a restaurant and I cannot find the 'official' word locally.

In any event you don't have to stay out of your favourite watering hole (unless it is closed) you simply cannot buy alcohol.

Well my reading capabilities reading your post are...........well, I'm STILL scratching my head. {nobody said anything or complained about bar closurs on 7 march... there is only the question whether or not the bars will be closed...}

Hear hear. My question was asked because I have a restaurant and I cannot find the 'official' word locally.

In any event you don't have to stay out of your favourite watering hole (unless it is closed) you simply cannot buy alcohol.

This seems to answer your question http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/538748-nationwide-alcohol-ban-for-makabucha-day-thailand/page__pid__5113136#entry5113136

OK, I'll complain about it. smile.png

I like the idea of separation of church and state and freedom of commerce. It means I should be free to drink in a bar anytime and a bar owner should be free to sell alcohol anytime he feels like it. Tomorrow, now, I might just like to have few brews in my favorite go-go. Haven't you heard that "daytime is playtime?" Very Pattaya.

Fact is, you can respect the religion (I do, very much) but, at the same time, drink, esp if you're not a Buddhist anyway.

It's really about government power and cultural separation and brainwashing, not religion. Guess most of us old hands know that.

Flame away!

OK, I'll complain about it. smile.png

I like the idea of separation of church and state and freedom of commerce. It means I should be free to drink in a bar anytime and a bar owner should be free to sell alcohol anytime he feels like it. Tomorrow, now, I might just like to have few brews in my favorite go-go. Haven't you heard that "daytime is playtime?" Very Pattaya.

Fact is, you can respect the religion (I do, very much) but, at the same time, drink, esp if you're not a Buddhist anyway.

It's really about government power and cultural separation and brainwashing, not religion. Guess most of us old hands know that.

Flame away!

No flaming towards you! Absolutely agree with your idea of separation and would also not like the idea of a dry day if I would currently be in LOS.

My original post was only to point out that the OP did not complain but mainly ask the question.

As you say if you don't believe that religion has anything to do with it that's up to you. Do you believe in the Law?

I would like to see all these people who post things like "i should be able to drink when I want" do it and get caught on someone else's b-day.

Just chill man and don't be childish. You will live another day.

This seems to answer your question http://www.thaivisa....36#entry5113136

Thank PP - obviously that link wasn't there on 2nd March. Good of the BiB to give adequate notice ! (except for hotels in Phuket where they are not sure).

As you say if you don't believe that religion has anything to do with it that's up to you. Do you believe in the Law?

I would like to see all these people who post things like "i should be able to drink when I want" do it and get caught on someone else's b-day.

Religion and Law don't go hand in hand together - Thailand is the perfect example of that.

Religion and Law don't go hand in hand together - Thailand is the perfect example of that.

True enough however if the law is set due to religious means then you have to respect that law no matter what.

PS: Try eating food during the month of "Ramadan" weather you are a tourist or not. (In the UAE)

Edited by Gone

True enough however if the law is set due to religious means then you have to respect that law no matter what.

PS: Try eating food during the month of "Ramadan" weather you are a tourist or not. (In the UAE)

I seriously doubt that this is a matter of law. It's just a regulation set by some bureaucrats. Nor is applied uniformly. I happened to be in the neighborhood of certain pub and made sure to stop in and have myself a pint o' Guiness.

And we don't have to respect any particular law, just obey it or risk facing the consequences. I'd say I respect Thai laws as much as an average Thai respects them. ;) I always obey them, however.