Legal Age For Riding Motorcycle?

TheScribe

My partner wants me to buy a bike for her teenage son. I'm not keen on that for a number of reasons, one of them being the legality of his riding at a young age. How old do you have to be to ride a motorcycle in Thailand? (And, unfortunately I also have to ask, is the law enforced to any serious degree?)

My girlfriend said 15 years of age.

The law……. Hmmmmm….I often see 3-5 students (9-12 year olds) riding around during school hours while riding past a local police station and it’s check points. The police never stop them, even though they are underage, smoking, 5 up on a scooter, helmetless and playing truant. I guess the police officers realize these youngsters carry little more than pocket money...

tons of kids ride around central bkk doing wheelies on modified scooters in their school uniforms and 3 on a bike sometimes

police dont seem too bothered to catch them because theres proabably much more lucrative targets to harass in my area

i think you must be 17 to have a licence though

tons of kids ride around central bkk doing wheelies on modified scooters in their school uniforms and 3 on a bike sometimes

police dont seem too bothered to catch them because theres proabably much more lucrative targets to harass in my area

i think you must be 17 to have a licence though

I'm not sure about what my girlfriend said, i asked 3 times..... 15 seems to young to me??

You can get a licence for less than 100cc at 15 but the full licence is 18

Helmets are increasingly being enforced.

It seems that for going to and from school a totally bind eye is taken to underage riding except for helmets.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

Teenagers can ride a motorbike under 110cc. As long as they abide by the rules.......as if!

How true. I made the mistake (once) of trying to reverse parallel park at the school in Chiang Rai to my son up. I indicated before I got there, lined myself up beside the car that would eventually be parked in front of me. Indicator still on, I checked the mirrors (all clear) put the SUV in reverse and I get a blast of horns. Two motorbikes had ridden in that monent right up behind me with 3 kids apiece in uniforms, wondering where to go as the penny dropped that I was about to reverse back with two tons of SUV. . I ended going around as trying to use western ideas of following rules was pointless. I went round again (of course no parking spot available this time) and so like everybody else I double parked waiting for the boy to get in. Not one person blasted a horn..lesson learnt Mai Pen Rai :)

In closing: Come on Thailand, at least teach the kids some traffic rules.

The police does not bother the kids on bikes cause they do not have money, no drivers license and they do not own the bike themselves. So a single office will avoid the hassle and let them go on most occasions. Of course this does not apply when police has setup a serious checkpoint, then you see all the kids making quick u-turns.

The legal age doesn't really matter. It all depends on the circumstances - a 10 yr old Nakhom Nowhere will be left alone even if his father us a farmer. My neighbour in Bangkok drives a merc to school and he's in Mattayon 2 (13/14 y/o) as his father is a mafia boss.

The legal age doesn't really matter. It all depends on the circumstances - a 10 yr old Nakhom Nowhere will be left alone even if his father us a farmer. My neighbour in Bangkok drives a merc to school and he's in Mattayon 2 (13/14 y/o) as his father is a mafia boss.

BS.

• Like 1

The law……. Hmmmmm….I often see 3-5 students (9-12 year olds) riding around during school hours while riding past a local police station and it’s check points. The police never stop them, even though they are underage, smoking, 5 up on a scooter, helmetless and playing truant. I guess the police officers realize these youngsters carry little more than pocket money...

Been seeing a couple of kids on step - throughs and scoots around Chiangmai too, most of them grade schoolers. One of the worst ones was this kid I passed by wearing a tank top, shorts and flip flops - no helmet practicing stunts on his modified Honda Dream without any lights in a dark road. There's a grade schoolers who go to a nearby public school who ride motorcycles to school as well.

Edited by RED21

Been seeing a couple of kids on step - throughs and scoots around Chiangmai too, most of them grade schoolers. One of the worst ones was this kid I passed by wearing a tank top, shorts and flip flops - no helmet practicing stunts on his modified Honda Dream without any lights in a dark road. There's a grade schoolers who go to a nearby public school who ride motorcycles to school as well.

I guess what little fear that child has of the police quickly vanishes along with his visibility at night, do the parents not know where there child is? Do the parents not realize that both their motorcycle (assuming it's theirs) and child are missing during the evening :(

Just say no. Whatever the law about riding is, he ought to earn the money to buy his own first bike. If he can't do that fuc_k him. You buy it and he'll have no respect for it.

Not really any of your business that is it?

18 is the legal age. Of coursewe all know this is not enforced.

That is simply not true as I know Thais less than 18 who have taken their test and got their license.

I'm not sure what the age is but I've been told it's 15.

That is simply not true as I know Thais less than 18 who have taken their test and got their license.

Not believe others and your not sure how about reading about it :- http://bangkok.anglo...and/driving.asp smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

I recall being given a cycling proficiency test back home in the UK at the age of 8, it would be nice to have something like this enforced at schools here in Thailand, just some basic road sense on a bicycle would help :)

I recall being given a cycling proficiency test back home in the UK at the age of 8, it would be nice to have something like this enforced at schools here in Thailand, just some basic road sense on a bicycle would help smile.png

I guess road safety education for kids is pretty useless as long as the adults do not stick to any traffic rules. It may even endanger the kids, if they try to stick to traffic rules thinking the other road fellows will respect them too. Very difficult topic imho. I wouldn't know how to teach kids road safety in LOS and what to teach.

Not believe others and your not sure how about reading about it :- http://bangkok.anglo...and/driving.asp smile.png

Well I was right then as it says 15. Have a nice day.

• Like 1

BS.

Dude, this is the way it is. How long have you lived in Thailand?

You come across as one of the been here 2 years and seen Pattaya and now an expert on Thai things lot.

Show some respect for the guys who been here decades.

Edited by Johnniey

• 1 month later...

Just say no. Whatever the law about riding is, he ought to earn the money to buy his own first bike. If he can't do that fuc_k him. You buy it and he'll have no respect for it.

Not really any of your business that is it?

If he/she are underage and hit me,it's my business.

• 2 weeks later...

Legal age is 15 for bikes up to 110cc. For anything over 110cc the legal age is 18.

I've seen kids that have difficult time reaching the ground with their feet while holding the handlebars on 100 cc scooters. So whatever the legal age is, it is not enforced as with many other laws.

Unregistered Guns, ammo, drugs and murder are the only real problems.

• 4 months later...

...sorry for opening this "can of worms" again,but I was asked the question from my 14 1/2 year old stepson today,if he can have a motorbike...so firstly being unaware of the legal age limit (I really thought it was 18) told him,that he need to get his driver license first ...he didn't know either,so we looked it up and to my horror,it does says 15 up to the 110cc's...so he will be 15 soon and he will probably ask again...

I guess the real answer will be..."get your license first and save your money"...but at the end,it probably be my wife's decision and that could only be "yes" sick.gif ...

...what is your opinion on that?...what would you do as a parent(well,step-parent) ?

...sorry for opening this "can of worms" again,but I was asked the question from my 14 1/2 year old stepson today,if he can have a motorbike...so firstly being unaware of the legal age limit (I really thought it was 18) told him,that he need to get his driver license first ...he didn't know either,so we looked it up and to my horror,it does says 15 up to the 110cc's...so he will be 15 soon and he will probably ask again...

I guess the real answer will be..."get your license first and save your money"...but at the end,it probably be my wife's decision and that could only be "yes" sick.gif ...

...what is your opinion on that?...what would you do as a parent(well,step-parent) ?

LOL...my grandpa's words when I asked for help purchasing my first car "You have a <removed> job". (of course he bought my sister's first outright).

I think that matching funds or if he's a responsible lad double matching funds is a great motivator. Finding a weekend/'summer' job could quickly build up some funds for a really decent 110cc bike if someone is helping him fund it.

You're just going to have to be careful to put your foot down; as a lot of kids have worldwide, 'blinging' it out may be a priority. Consider your personal feelings in paying for that, but if the parties involved believe you will come to the aid for gas money, you'll notice that you'll be providing gas money weekly and meanwhile the bike gets more and more gaudy.

As far as the age thing goes, ignore the naysayers; where I'm from you can get a moped license (restricted to 50cc and 35 mph) at age 14. Granted that's quite a bit less bike than a modern 110cc, but I managed to live and not kill anyone else.

I think that if he is old enought to get a riders permit he should be having a bike (if that is what he wants)...

Questions to ask oneself is really:

1. Is he a responsible boy?

2. Does he work in any way to earn money for petrol and insurance?

3. What kind of bike does he what and for what reason?

I can still remember the first time I got my riders permit, the new world was out there, until I had to fill petrol, no help there...

A bike can be given as a reward for him studying hard- if he does not have enough money now, let him work it off, it will teach him about financing.

If he is under the legal age to ride, the foot should be put down quickly- you would have to pay for the accidents he will/would/could (hopefully not) have...

You know your kid best... Would it make it easier for him to go to school? Play sports? visit friends? or would it just make it easier for him to create problems...

Good luck in your decission, ps... make sure that you teach him how to ride correctly and that he use a helmet ALL the TIME...