Photographs In Malls

sharky1

I was once warned by Central security to not take photos inside the mall as I photographed the opening day of a new restaurant from the hallway outside the restaurant. A meter inside the restaurant, nobody said anything.

But then on Christmas and during occasional events like car exhibitions, flashes are going off 100 per minute.

Confused....coffee1.gif

Just smile, say "Jomteabomg" and keep taking photos. I've found that most employes working anywhere don't know much about anything, and if I don't communicate with them (speak a made up language) they will eventually leave me alone.

• Like 1

I do not think it is against the law, I have taken photos in the Central Festival Shopping Centre without issue.

But shopping malls are private property and have every right to ban photography, I have seen shopping malls here in the UK, America and many other places around the world with signs banning photography but there again I have seen such notices totally ignored.

I am unsure why the would want to ban photography, possibly they have issues with people tacking photos and causing an obstruction of "footfall", maybe the not want unofficial photos that if published may not be of quality or not depict the mall at its best, or maybe there is an official photographer who has a concession on photography rights within the mall.

Another issue of course is taking pictures in public places and then post them on whatever social media might violate the privacy rights of people who happen to appear on your pictures...

Another issue of course is taking pictures in public places and then post them on whatever social media might violate the privacy rights of people who happen to appear on your pictures...

You have no rights in Thailand.

One thing is your - in my opinion - stupid, negative, ranting view of everything going on in Thailand... but that seems to be your personal lifestyle and it seems to keep you happy... no need for me to question your reasons for living in a country where you feel to be without any rights...

The other thing is that privacy invasion by posting pics on facebook et al has nothing to do with Thailand but with the laws of the country where either the poster or the photographed person live...

• Like 1

You have no rights in Thailand.

One thing is your - in my opinion - stupid, negative, ranting view of everything going on in Thailand... but that seems to be your personal lifestyle and it seems to keep you happy... no need for me to question your reasons for living in a country where you feel to be without any rights...

The other thing is that privacy invasion by posting pics on facebook et al has nothing to do with Thailand but with the laws of the country where either the poster or the photographed person live...

Keep believing you have rights here. Hopefully you'll never have to find out if you really do or not. What you actually have is a wallet and a bank account. That's all that matters here. But don't worry, you'll catch on sooner or later.

"Privacy invasion" doesn't exist in public places. You go out in public, you lose the right to privacy. That's how it works. That's how paparazzi legally gets their shots. Don't like it, don't leave your house.

Keep believing you have rights here. Hopefully you'll never have to find out if you really do or not. What you actually have is a wallet and a bank account. That's all that matters here. But don't worry, you'll catch on sooner or later.

"Privacy invasion" doesn't exist in public places. You go out in public, you lose the right to privacy. That's how it works. That's how paparazzi legally gets their shots. Don't like it, don't leave your house.

I agree. You avatar is classic. Keep your mouth shut and you'll be fine.

Of course, because no one has rights we can get away with more. It works both ways in the jungle.

• Like 1

So who has jurisdiction over a case where a Swede took a picture of a German, while in Thailand and posted it to Facebook, which is an American company? Good luck fighting that battle.

Much like the Indian who murdered the American woman in a hotel in Bangkok last month. No one is making the Thai authorities do anything about this case, so you rant about posting photos on the internet is spurious at best and anal at worst.

PoodMaiDai, KeyserSoze01

Please allow me some final comments: First, I am completely aware that privacy laws in Thailand are completely different from other countries, i.e. when I see the police posting pictures of every Farang arrested. This would be impossible in Europe, as you are deemed innocent until otherwise proven by a court.

PoddMaiDai, you mention paparazzi... as far as they take pictures from celebrities, they are allowed to do so, since these celebrities are "persons of public interest" and their privacy rights with regards to pictures taken and published are not the same as yours and my privacy rights. They have - by their actions - put themselves into public view and therefore waived a lot (but not all) of their privacy rights. This has been confirmed by many court decisions worldwide.

With regards to you and me, no we do NOT waive our privacy rights when we are in public places. Just look at the case of Google Streetview and all the discussions about their obligation to anonymize every single picture where their could be faces or car licence plates visible... at least within the US and Europe, it is very clear that you and I have the right for the protection from Google to post our pictures within their Streetview offering.

Now, KeyserSoze01, I am also aware about the problem you described. First problem is to find out whether I am on any picture or not and then whether it will be posted in whatever social media... but the principles of law are clear. If I find out, I will first ask the poster for removal, then I can write to Facebook et al and inform them about the violation of my privacy and ask them to remove the pictures - or finally, within Switzerland, I can ask for a court order towards Facebook to remove the pictures - as has happend dozends of times already, also with regards to Google Streetview.

Finally, PoodMaiDai: I have one very important right in Thailand: That is the right to apply for a Visa to live in the place of my choice in this beautiful country for as long as I can finance my stay here. That is the only right I really care about and as long as I oblige with the laws of this country, I can do almost every thing that the Thai people can do with some exceptions which I might not like but will accept for the right to live here.

Edited by Swiss1960

PoddMaiDai, you mention paparazzi... as far as they take pictures from celebrities, they are allowed to do so, since these celebrities are "persons of public interest" and their privacy rights with regards to pictures taken and published are not the same as yours and my privacy rights. They have - by their actions - put themselves into public view and therefore waived a lot (but not all) of their privacy rights. This has been confirmed by many court decisions worldwide.

With regards to you and me, no we do NOT waive our privacy rights when we are in public places. Just look at the case of Google Streetview and all the discussions about their obligation to anonymize every single picture where their could be faces or car licence plates visible... at least within the US and Europe, it is very clear that you and I have the right for the protection from Google to post our pictures within their Streetview offering.

Now, KeyserSoze01, I am also aware about the problem you described. First problem is to find out whether I am on any picture or not and then whether it will be posted in whatever social media... but the principles of law are clear. If I find out, I will first ask the poster for removal, then I can write to Facebook et al and inform them about the violation of my privacy and ask them to remove the pictures - or finally, within Switzerland, I can ask for a court order towards Facebook to remove the pictures - as has happend dozends of times already, also with regards to Google Streetview.

But you're in Thailand. We're not in Switzerland or any other civilized nation. Further more, in the case of a shopping mall, you are entering their property. They film you on CCTV the moment you step foot onto it until the moment you leave. You don't have rights once on their property in terms of privacy.

You ever seen all of the public photos and videos that come from Mardi Gras, Spring Break, or public beaches? None of them are public figures and all lose their privacy when they go to those places. That is how companies can legally sell those images and videos.

I don't really know what Thailand's laws are regarding this, but I highly doubt any of us would get anywhere in court if we tried to sue someone for posting our photos on Facebook or Thai Visa while we were in a public location. Especially since there are no damages that can be proven as we were just walking through the mall or along the beach. It's not like we were video taped through an air vent while we were taking a shower.

Finally, PoodMaiDai: I have one very important right in Thailand: That is the right to apply for a Visa to live in the place of my choice in this beautiful country for as long as I can finance my stay here. That is the only right I really care about and as long as I oblige with the laws of this country, I can do almost every thing that the Thai people can do with some exceptions which I might not like but will accept for the right to live here.

And that right falls under your wallet and bank account, not a natural given right. We can all stay here legally as long as we can afford it.

In BigC Ubon, in English, a message comes over the airways,

NO PHOTOS TO BE TAKEN IN THIS STORE, Shit, l thought, really wanted a pic of this tin of beans, DRAT. angry.png

BigC Chiang Mai they announce it on the PA system often. Not sure of the reason, someone mentioned competition photoing products and pricing.