Why Do I See So Many Expensive Cars In Chiang Mai ?

IEMDavid

As we all now the import tax is very high to import a car into Thai ? So why do i see so many people driving Merc-Bmw and mush more top end cars all on BKk plates.maybe something we don't now yet about import duty or other reasons,I see a lot of very expensive car per day in Chiang Mai and all use BKK plates ? maybe more wealthy people live in Thai then surrounding country's Amazing to see how Thailand has changed over the last 15 years.

http://lamborghiniclubthailand.com/

http://search.yahoo....rs=0&fr2=rs-top

http://pap.porsche.com/thailand_en/motorsportandevents/localclubevents/11142009.html

Edited by IEMDavid

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed things have changed a lot in the last 15 years...

Not all have BKK plates but there are a lot of them that do. I thinks it's only because there is a larger selection of cars in BKK and prices are a little cheaper there.

It's simple. There are so many fabulously wealthy Thais these days. And then there the poor. The middle class is practically non-existent anymore. Either you have it or you don't...

I can think of about 6 Thai friends off the top of my head (including one who is a nurse) that drive late model BMW's or Mercedes Benz. It's a major status symbol here. Some come from wealthy Thai-Chinese families who own many expensive cars in the family (graduation gift, etc.) while others make monthly payments on their luxury automobiles. The loan process is amazingly simple here for Thais. Just last Friday I was present while one friend purchased a 3 year old BMW. The bank was called and within 10 minutes a cute young girl from the bank showed up (driving a brand new car). After looking over ID's, tambien baan's, etc. it was decided that a relative needed to come with his papers as well. From what I understood of the whole thing, relatives, even retired, often come to "guarantee" the loan. They didn't even ask for proof of employment or anything! It was an amazingly simple process and the payment is tailored to suit the applicant's monthly budget.

Driving a nice car is of paramount importance to Thais.

First of all, most Mercedes and BMW models are cally built, so they're not imports.

Secondly, there is in fact a bigger middle and upper middle class than ever in Thailand, as well as more nouveau riche people, and they're buying fancy cars like crazy.

Some of the truly top cars tend to have Bangkok plates, like Ferraris, Lambos and I saw a Bentley recently. Regular Benz and BMWs are just as likely to be on Chiang Mai plates. (Even when purchased second hand in BKK they can of course be transferred to local plates.

There was a show on TV a few months ago about either the Lamborghini or Ferrari dealership in Bangkok (I forget which one now). I was amazed at how many owners of these expensive automobiles there are in Thailand; (including the lovely young girl who is the sales manager). There is such demand that often customers wait months to get their autos assembled according to their choices of customization.

The simple answer is that wealthy Thais have learned how to keep the average Thai person (90% of all Thais) poor and happy, while the wealthy live off the backs of the working people.

If you are saying that 90% are poor then I suggest you are off on your numbers.

I can't find it now but there was one study (I think it was in 1998 or thereabouts) by the U.N. where the wealthy were estimated at 30% of the population. In the last 14 years many, many more Thais have achieved wealth.

Keep in mind that many uneducated farmers are getting wealthy exporting exclusively to the Chinese.

Edited by elektrified

There is a common trick used to get expensive cars here almost duty free if you are a Thai. If you are a wealthy Thai and you send you kid overseas for their higher education and they purchase a car there locally, they can bring it back home to Thailand at a reduced duty rate after having owned it for a year or more. This may be what inspires some Thai families to have their kids obtain their higher education overseas.

• Like 1

As far as the Merc's and BMWs, many are government issue. Lots of high up police, military, civil servants get these cars as part of their benefit's package. That's also why they all have Bangkok plates.... Also, as many other's have said, there is a lot of money everywhere in Thailand nowadays, Chiang Mai is no exception.

There is a common trick used to get expensive cars here almost duty free if you are a Thai. If you are a wealthy Thai and you send you kid overseas for their higher education and they purchase a car there locally, they can bring it back home to Thailand at a reduced duty rate after having owned it for a year or more. This may be what inspires some Thai families to have their kids obtain their higher education overseas.

To import left hand drive cars...I dont think so.

Edited by Semper

To import left hand drive cars...I dont think so.

Maybe that's why so many Thais are educated in the UK = right hand drive

Here's a Lambo that hit a speed bump behind Tesco going into JJ Market and broke the front spoiler. Within minuets there was a couple of farang helping, seemed to be the support team which might be needed driving one of those around here. Also an Audi A8 in the row of shops after Rimping/Rumchouk Plaza. The best was driving down the same stretch before the light and seeing a Lamborghini Aventador parked on the side of the road empty all alone one night, where the fruit stands are during the day. Threw in a shot of me driving a Ferrari, but that was in Italy, where your suppose to drive one!

post-101742-0-20348100-1330844951_thumb.

post-101742-0-34059900-1330844991_thumb.

post-101742-0-05843000-1330845111_thumb.

• Like 1

Too bad owners of such super-vehicles will need good road infrastructure and lighter traffic with less elephant begging on streets.

Most BKK people are rich and they compete each other via using expensive cars.

The philosophy of non attachment seems rather distant.

Does the the Red Plate mean that the car was bought brand new?? And what do the other colourful plates stand for?? nothing??

Yellow plates are commercial vehicles, blue and white is diplomatic.

The mini cooper made by BMW is very popular and cost nearly the same as a merc in Thai.

http://thailandculture.blogspot.com/2007/06/most-expensive-ferrari-ever-sold.html

Don't mess with the blue and white dude even corrupt coppers dare not touch them diplomatic immunity.

Does the the Red Plate mean that the car was bought brand new?? And what do the other colourful plates stand for?? nothing??

Edited by ARISTIDE

Correct. I meant the panda and other plates like the one in the photo above of the Audi with - I think - the Lampang plate.

Yup, Lampang plate. Interesting.

And it's an Audi R8 by the way, not A8. They go for 12 million baht or so. There is a Western resident of Chiang Mai who owns one, though if I recall correctly that one is on Chiang Mai plates (not sure though)

http://en.wikipedia...._%28road_car%29

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There are many more wealthy people in Thailand than one might think...

In Chiangrai alone there are 2 Lambos, 1 Panamera, 1 CLS500, 1 Porsche Boxter, 2 Hummers, 1 R8, 2 Z4, 1 R8, and some of the cheaper models of Benz and BMW, one Nissan Fairlady... Nice cars are fun :)

Sorry thought A8 sounded wrong. Yesterday I saw an oldish pick-up truck full of trash and junk piled way over the cab in one of those cages w/diplomatic plates (I think they were - had the blue circle of stars on the left side). Pretty amusing.

Of course one phenomena here is that some will put a downpayment on a car they can never hope to afford and enjoy driving it around for 6 months before it gets reposessed. Just because someone is driving around in a new posh car doesnt mean they will have it for long. Those that remember the crash at the end of the 90's may also remember all the repo Mercs parked in Tescos (Hangdong Road) car park trying to find an owner!