Chinese Restaurants In Chiang Mai?

Godfree

there is a great one behind the night bazaar, in the area across from Puntip Plaza....really big and really great food....don't know the name but if you ask around they will direct you to the soi. They have their own parking lot, as well.

I need clarification. "Chinese" restaurants everywhere in the world modify recipes to suit regional tastes. I have in mind "Chinese-Canadian" fare in rural communities or the "don't get any spices near me" France, including cities. What do we mean by Chinese food?

For eating in China - different parts - and Hong Kong are different experiences. Are any of the above named what we might call 'authentic' - even though in Thailand? I've no doubt that they're good, but would they be familiar and tasty to a Chinese citizen of gastronomcal experience in the homeland?

Edited by CMX

I need clarification. "Chinese" restaurants everywhere in the world modify recipes to suit regional tastes. I have in mind "Chinese-Canadian" fare in rural communities or the "don't get any spices near me" France, including cities. What do we mean by Chinese food?

For eating in China - different parts - and Hong Kong are different experiences. Are any of the above named what we might call 'authentic' - even though in Thailand? I've no doubt that they're good, but would they be familiar and tasty to a Chinese citizen of gastronomcal experience in the homeland?

No they are not authentic. They are all Thai with a Chinese spin.

• 3 months later...

I've never liked any of the Chinese restaurants in C.M. that have been recommended in this thread or any of the other countless threads in the C.M. forum over the last 5 years. But the other night I stumbled upon a place worthy of a plug. It is a huge place called Ekathip Chokedee and it is on Thannon Wiang Kaew in the city. It looks as though it has been there for decades. I don't think it ever been mentioned in this forum. It is the real deal. It is not Thai Chinese food although I imagine some dishes may be prepared that way if you ask for it. We ordered 5 dishes and not one of them had Thai chiles or herbs so I believe the default method of cooking is traditional Chinese. The menu is extensive and is in Thai and in English. We got there just before closing and had to order quickly so I did not really have time to peruse the menu but the selection is huge.

Prices are very reasonable. We had the 5 dishes, rice, water, and one small beer and the bill was only like 450 Baht. But there are some expensive items on the menu... The g/f is 1/2 Chinese and doesn't like any of the Chinese restaurants in C.M. and only orders Chinese food when visiting family in Hat Yai. But she can't stop talking about this place! Give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Here is the website: http://ekathipchokedee.com/

I must admit I have not yet tried the large place near Teppanya Hospital (Jia Tong Heng???) but everyone I know who has been has said it is Thai-Chinese style food.

there is a great one behind the night bazaar, in the area across from Puntip Plaza....really big and really great food....don't know the name but if you ask around they will direct you to the soi. They have their own parking lot, as well.

That would have to be Jia Tong Heng, and probably the most authentic Chinese cuisine in Chiangmai.

They have a branch on the superhighway.

Coming into town from the north on the 1001 from MaeJo when you reach the super where the former RAM2 hospital is, turn left and less than 100m on your left.

Big place with big parking, inside nice and stylish.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=18.809143,99.015194&spn=0.005901,0.010568&hnear=Chiang+Mai,+Thailand&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=18.809099,99.013251&panoid=J_Ym4MUaHzVknUKCsufjjQ&cbp=12,332.39,,0,-6.21

Food ? for me it confirmed that I much prefer Thai or Japanese food, but each to their own

every time i go past the yang see jiang, my girlfried says "ooh paeng paeng"

Yeah, but can you get prawn balls there + 28 and 34?

I dont care if they give away free inflatable beach balls; if its "paeng" its not for me.

I don't want to cause trouble and I do believe that it is a personal choice but come on, Jia Tong Heng can not be the most authentic Chinese cuisine in CM at all. They are Thai-Tae-jew food but more on the Thai side.

Edited by ARISTIDE

I don't want to cause trouble and I do believe that it is a personal choice but come on, Jia Tong Heng can not be the most authentic Chinese cuisine in CM at all. They are Thai-Tae-jew food but more on the Thai side.

Haven't tried this one (if this is the place near Teppanya Hospital) but the place I mentioned above is the most authentic Chinese cuisine I have had so far in Chiang Mai.

They are exactly the same as my parent love it so I often have to eat at this Jia Tong Heng both branches.

Haven't tried this one (if this is the place near Teppanya Hospital) but the place I mentioned above is the most authentic Chinese cuisine I have had so far in Chiang Mai.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Aristide or any others who've been to Kruwa Jeen, do you have any recommended dishes ? I notice the sign there on Mahidol all the time now as I'm headed towards Airport. Very close to stopping by, but would like an inside scoop on the place first. Seems not very fancy from what I can tell - and hole in the wall is fine by me.

Kruwa Jeen is not great but good enough for me. They have things like sweet and sour pork and lemon chicken to satisfy my craving for Chinese take out.

The Chinese shrimp salad mayonnaise is as good as any fancy place...

Aristide or any others who've been to Kruwa Jeen, do you have any recommended dishes ? I notice the sign there on Mahidol all the time now as I'm headed towards Airport. Very close to stopping by, but would like an inside scoop on the place first. Seems not very fancy from what I can tell - and hole in the wall is fine by me.

To eat quality Chinese food anywhere other than in China is always a disappointment.

I have lived and worked in mainland China and I can tell you the food in China is nothing like Chinese food in other countries. For me, much better elsewhere.

+1

To eat quality Chinese food anywhere other than in China is always a disappointment.

I have lived and worked in mainland China and I can tell you the food in China is nothing like Chinese food in other countries. For me, much better elsewhere.

HAHA, ok pal. Whatever trips your trigger:)

Would agree up to a point. For instance, I'd take the Chinese food in Singapore over the Chinese food in Shanghai any day. Chinese food in Chiang Mai is a different matter though.

Most people say that the Chinese food in Singapore and Hong Kong is better than mainland China. I suspect that one could add San Francisco to that list.

Most people say that the Chinese food in Singapore and Hong Kong is better than mainland China. I suspect that one could add San Francisco to that list.

That's depends wife said from where she went food was oily and tasteless but I just got back from Kunming food was better that Jia Tong Heng.