Plantains...do They Have Them In Thailand?

StrongView

I'm sure that any Puerto Rican here would be insulted to hear of the plantain compared to a banana. :o I thought those small roasted "apple banana's" were just unripe when roasted, giving them that neutral flavor. Good supstitute though. Anyone else heard of them here? Thanks Astral for your input.

I'm sure that any Puerto Rican here would be insulted to hear of the plantain compared to a banana.  :o  I thought those small roasted "apple banana's" were just unripe when roasted, giving them that neutral flavor. Good supstitute though.  Anyone else heard of them here?  Thanks Astral for your input.

Well be insulted Puerto Ricans because the plantain IS a banana. It is a Musa Paradisiaca -- a member of the Banana Family.

Family Musaceae – Banana family

Genus Musa L. – banana

Species Musa ×paradisiaca L. (pro sp.) [acuminata × balbisiana] – French plantain

According to the online horticultural dictionaries it is native to Asia and is grown in Thailand. I'm just not sure of the name in Thai.

Lets we try the food forum instead.

I've noticed that some street vendors sell deep-fried bananas, but have yet to see actual plantains being used. The deep-fried bananas are great for a sweet snack, but would prefer to have deep-fried plantains any day of the week. They tend to be prepared as a salty snack to complement other latin american dishes that have a "sweet" taste.

I can just imagine... pork chop, white rice and beans (black of course!), a side of deep-fried plantains, and a nice cuba libre on the side. :o

Jeez, I need to visit my mom's house... she is from PR and is a great cook.

P.S. The plantain is definitely a type of banana, though it is larger, and is generally picked when green (not ripe).

hey all....just to clarify (since it wasn't perceived as well as I thought it would be), I was kidding when I said a plantain was not a type of banana. sbk...thanks for your notes on the plantain being available here. If anyone comes up with the name for the plantain here (in Thai) please let me know. In the meantime, I'll keep researching. Thanks to all.

If anyone comes up with the name for the plantain here (in Thai) please let me know. 

Plantain =

กล้วยงาช้าง ‘Kluai Nga chang’ -common call in TH (klui =banana; nga = ivory ; chang =elephant)

กล้วยยักษ์ ‘Kluai Yuk’ (yuk =giant)

Edited by BambinA

Howdy Everyone,

Here are two types of plantain.The hawaiin I have seen for sale only in Issan around Phi Mai.The other plantain I have seen for sale all over the Kingdom.The Hawaiin is about 15-20cm long and very fat.The common one is about 30-35cm long.Both are not very good to eat out of hand,meaning they should be fried.If fried green they will not be sweet,serve with a lime and garlic sauce.If fried when the skin is brown and the fruit is soft it will be very sweet carmilized,serve alone or with a squeez of lime.Enjoy :o Oh you should slice to fry or they will burn if you try to fry whole.

post-14263-1134746166_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1134746175_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1134746183_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1134746191_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1134746199_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Have occasionally purchased Plantain-like fruit here. Much smaller than the standard African or West Indian varieties, but just as good for frying/stewing/currying etc.

I get mine on special order from a banana wholesaler in Muang Mai market in Chiang Mai. Sometimes have to wait a month or so, but they phone me when they get some in. (1 "Wee" costs about 20 Baht. Much cheaper than normal Kluai Horm etc.)

• 3 months later...

So, where in Bangkok can Plantains be purchased... I have not seen anything that remotely looks like a Plantain (or at least what people of hispanic background, or african), might call a plantain.

I have looked in the local markets.. and in the grocery stores..

thanks

So, where in Bangkok can Plantains be purchased... I have not seen anything that remotely looks like a Plantain (or at least what people of hispanic background, or african), might call a plantain.

I have looked in the local markets.. and in the grocery stores..

thanks

The African restaurants on Sukhumwit (the Arab/African soi, cant remember the number, but it is at the beginning of Sukhumwit) have plantains on the menu, that would be a good place to start asking.

While you're there, smoke a water pipe of apple tobacco and have a little cup of cinnamon coffee too.

I'm not sure if our street vendors will use this kind of African banana for deep fried banana. They mostly use unripe Gluai Naam Waah. For desert banana with syrup, they use Gluai Khai ...Grilled banana..with lovely yellow color..they will use Gluai Huk Mook...( this kind of banana looks like african or PR banana) Some thais here in Europe, they use Plantains to make Gluai Charb ( slide banana thin, then in deep fried and later mix with sugar and little salt. Taste yummy. :o

• 1 year later...
If anyone comes up with the name for the plantain here (in Thai) please let me know.

Plantain =

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>กล้วยงาช้าง</span> ‘Kluai Nga chang’ -common call in TH (klui =banana; nga = ivory ; chang =elephant)

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>กล้วยยักษ์</span> ‘Kluai Yuk’ (yuk =giant)

I happened to need the Thai name for plantain. I found the Thai Dept. of Ag Ext. website which shows the info identical ato what was given above by BambinA. I just want to second BambinA's entries here for future ref.

In addition, they also called กล้วยนิ้วจรเข้ as plantain.

Ref: http://www.doae.go.th/library/html/detail/banana/page66.html

These folks are the expert on the subject, so I believe their info should be reliable.