Taxi Drivers Who Winds Down Window Instead Of Opening The Door

forumuser10

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP. Here's a suggestion for you. Now I know it may sound a little crazy and it may be a little ahead of its time, but it might just work so bear with me. Here goes: What I think you should try doing is.........

Open the door yourself!

Edited by Moonrakers
  • Like 1

I'm confused by this topic. I have never seen a taxi driver open the back door for me as he was pulling up to pick up a fare. Can they even do that?

it's the done thing in Hong Kong with some special mechanical connection.

I know exactly what the OP is talking about. You flag them down. They open THEIR window and say Bai Nai (sp?); you tell them, and then um and ah and then say no and drive off. Mean while you miss a couple of other taxis that might have taken you. I work in Asoke and live in Lad Prao. Getting a taxi in certain times of the day up there is neigh on impossible (sometimes you have too much stuff for the MRT). It drives me up the wall. Another place is near Pratunam - getting a cab there is bloody impossible.On some Occasions I have asked "where do you want to go? Is there an MRT / Sky train near there?" and get in.

Sometimes they are straight from the boonies, and don't know where you want to go is ("I show you" often helps) Mostly they just want flag fall rides over and over again so they get 35baht (+tip from farangs) for a 15 baht trip.

So, like the OP, if they open the window I ignore them and concentrate on the ones actually doing the job of taxi driver.

@Naam - it can close the door, not open it. A simple answer to the Honkies who just do not think their part of the deal is to close the door. Also, in HK, a taxi has to take you anywhere you ask them to. Its the law, and if they refuse just say you will call the police. Job done.

Edited by AdamBanks

I'm confused by this topic. I have never seen a taxi driver open the back door for me as he was pulling up to pick up a fare. Can they even do that?

Long arms help . . . long_arm.jpg

@Naam - it can close the door, not open it. A simple answer to the Honkies who just do not think their part of the deal is to close the door. Also, in HK, a taxi has to take you anywhere you ask them to. Its the law, and if they refuse just say you will call the police. Job done.

Half true. HK taxis are restricted to fares to and from certain areas, certainly from the airport.

Edited by Sing_Sling

I'm getting a bit bored climbing through the windows as well................ Always thought this was a Thai thing, how to enter the taxi. Be a lot easier if they opened the doors.

Stupid post? Well I didn't start it, see the OP

I know exactly what the OP is talking about. You flag them down. They open THEIR window and say Bai Nai (sp?); you tell them, and then um and ah and then say no and drive off. Mean while you miss a couple of other taxis that might have taken you. I work in Asoke and live in Lad Prao. Getting a taxi in certain times of the day up there is neigh on impossible (sometimes you have too much stuff for the MRT). It drives me up the wall. Another place is near Pratunam - getting a cab there is bloody impossible.On some Occasions I have asked "where do you want to go? Is there an MRT / Sky train near there?" and get in.

Sometimes they are straight from the boonies, and don't know where you want to go is ("I show you" often helps) Mostly they just want flag fall rides over and over again so they get 35baht (+tip from farangs) for a 15 baht trip.

So, like the OP, if they open the window I ignore them and concentrate on the ones actually doing the job of taxi driver.

It is the law here in Thailand as well. If a taxi driver says no, you can call the BMTA and report them. The fine is 500 baht per infraction, with multiple offences punished by not renewing their taxi license.

• Like 1

It is the law here in Thailand as well. If a taxi driver says no, you can call the BMTA and report them. The fine is 500 baht per infraction, with multiple offences punished by not renewing their taxi license.

If that's correct then we need to start reporting offenders

Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA)

Head Office131 Thiemruam-mitre Rd., Khet Huaykwang, Bangkok 10320

Mail: P.O.Box 5, Suthisan, Bangkok 10320

Tel : 184, 246-0973, 246-0741-4

Email: [email protected], [email protected]

• Like 1

Yes, but they do it to Thais too, it's not a conspiracy against foreignors as some would try to imply.

Edited by beechguy
  • Like 2

I know exactly what the Op means.

Its very annoying to have taxi after taxi refuse your request of travel. And, it is correct that refusal of fare is illegal, but I don't want to go with the guys who are not happy to take me anyway.

Now I see that 'thousand-yard stare' when I ask to be taken somewhere. Interpret this as meaning either they don't know where to go, can't understand me, will stop off for fuel on the way and are wondering where the nearest LPG filling station is, or are wondering whether or not to use the meter... Either way, its a delay which I have learn cannot offer anything positive.

In nearly all circumstances good taxi drivers say yes straight away.

Following my instinct of offering a 'mai-pen-rai' when I see the faultering hesitation mentioned above I have narrowed down poor experiences to about 1 in 20.

Additional Note: I had a horrible farter the other day (a 1 in 20 bad experience who broke numerous red lights, regardless of my protests, in the end I pulled him over, got out and got in another taxi) , I thought the Op was referring to that - I needed to open the window !!!!

It's a big city and there is bad traffic, going the wrong direction at the wrong time of day is very bad for a taxi driver, so don't get your panties in a bunch if he doesn't want to go and just ask the one behind him. If no one will go, walk to a different spot and ask there or use public transport. I'm glad they can refuse fares and not get in trouble because it's better for the driver and keeps cost down for us

I understand when a taxi doesn't want to take you from Sukhumvit to Ladprao, during peak hour traffic, at the end of his shift, but when you are on soi 23 and ask to be taken to soi 39 then <deleted>??? He is heading in that direction anyway.

Half true. HK taxis are restricted to fares to and from certain areas, certainly from the airport.

Hong Kong taxis are colour coded .

Red taxis service HK Island and most of Kowloon , green taxis the New Territories and blue taxis Lantau Island.

Hong Kong taxis are colour coded .

Red taxis service HK Island and most of Kowloon , green taxis the New Territories and blue taxis Lantau Island.

Has anyone been in a taxi in Korea when it has stopped to pick up another fare mid journey ?

• Like 1

Yeah, you know what I am talking about.

To the people who do not understand, I have heard people on thaivisa usually were not the brightest people in the world, bitter and less IQ, but this was ridicilous.

Anyway, I also make a point out of waving them off, as to show that I have noticed them, and still will not bother to ask them for their service.

So what is everyone elses experience, is taxi drivers who wind down their window instead of letting you open the door, less likely to pick you up?

I would say, 99% of the time, when they will not let you open the door, and instead, they wind down the window, they will not pick you up.

Edited by forumuser10

Yes, but they do it to Thais too, it's not a conspiracy against foreignors as some would try to imply.

Yes, it is not aimed at foreigners only, they do it to thais too as you said. Please dont make this another thai hates foreigner thread

I'd rather they open the window to discuss if my chosen destination is convenient to them rather than find out it is not once I'm sitting inside..

well, my point is, if they let you open the door and starts to talk to you, it is more likely that they will pick you up, than if they just wind down the window, because they will most likely NOT pick you up if they do like that. But that is just my observation, and I want to hear others observations as well.

know what the OP is talking about.

Good thing about BKK though, there is always a taxi 10 seconds behind.

Yes, that is why I find it amusing to look at their face when I wave them off, instead of giving them the pleasure of saying no to me.

Edited by forumuser10

It's a big city and there is bad traffic, going the wrong direction at the wrong time of day is very bad for a taxi driver, so don't get your panties in a bunch if he doesn't want to go and just ask the one behind him. If no one will go, walk to a different spot and ask there or use public transport. I'm glad they can refuse fares and not get in trouble because it's better for the driver and keeps cost down for us

I dont have a problem with them saying no per se, I just noticed that taxi drivers who wind down the window instead of letting you open the door, are mush less likely to pick you up. I think only one time, when a guy wind down his window, he picked me up.