Thaksin: Thai Charter Change 'Not For My Return'

webfact

Thaksin: Thai charter change 'not for my return'

BANGKOK, March 5, 2012 (AFP) - Ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra has denied that a move by his political allies to amend the kingdom's constitution is aimed at clearing the way for his return.

"I have my own way of getting back home without having to rewrite the charter to favour me," Thaksin said in an interview with the Bangkok Post English-language daily from his base in Dubai.

Thaksin, who remains a hugely divisive figure, was toppled by royalist generals in 2006 and lives overseas to avoid a two-year prison sentence for corruption that he contends is politically motivated.

Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra became prime minister last year after a resounding election victory by his political allies.

Her government last month pushed through parliament legislation to establish a panel to rewrite the 2007 constitution, drafted by backers of the coup that toppled Thaksin.

Her administration has not yet said what changes it wants to see, but the opposition Democrats accuse her Puea Thai party of seeking to allow Thaksin to return without serving his jail term.

The opposition has also asked the government not to change the status of the monarchy.

Thaksin, however, denied there was a plan to alter the law that makes it an offence, punishable by 15 years in prison for each count, to criticise the royal family.

"The Puea Thai Party has made it clear that the section concerning the monarchy status will stay intact," the Bangkok Post quoted him as saying.

Thaksin remains a much-loved figure among many poor Thais.

But his return would anger his foes in the Bangkok-based elites in military, palace and bureaucratic circles and could spark further turmoil after a series of protests by the kingdom's rival political factions in recent years.

Mass rallies by Thaksin's supporters in the Thai capital in 2010 descended into the kingdom's worst political violence in decades, with more than 90 people -- mostly civilians -- killed in a military crackdown.

In October last year Yingluck's government gave Thaksin his passport back, despite strong opposition from his political opponents.

Thaksin, however, has repeatedly played down talk of his return.

"For me, getting back home or not is not my main concern. I am happy enough living abroad," he said in the interview.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-03-05

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really believe Thaksin is afraid to come back. He has enough enemies here that he would fear for his life.

Why return to Thailand when you can run the country from another country which has better golf courses.

I hear that the sand-bunkers are world-class ! laugh.png

• Like 2

I really believe Thaksin is afraid to come back. He has enough enemies here that he would fear for his life.

Why return to Thailand when you can run the country from another country which has better golf courses.

You obviously have never golfed Thailand or Dubai

"I have my own way of getting back home without having to rewrite the charter to favour me," Thaksin said in an interview with the Bangkok Post English-language daily from his base in Dubai.

IMO : Charter changes won't be his ticket home.

You obviously have never golfed Thailand or Dubai

I have golfed Thailand but not Dubai. You obviously have no sense of irony.

^ I suspect that you are right, but Thaksin has always pursued multiple avenues towards his goals. For instance, the Redshirts had both an armed wing and a much larger wing that genuinely tried to change things through civil disobedience which seemed to be operating more or less independently. In the end he won through the ballot box, so neither of them were necessary, though the 91 dead might have helped with the electoral win, so he can regard that as blood well spent.dry.png

He's probably angling for some sort of judicial review that will overturn or invalidate his conviction (where's that box of donuts again?). But if that doesn't work then constitutional reform might or he might bring the Redshirts out again.

Edit: the ^ was at tlansford's post. I took too long to write it!

Edited by otherstuff1957

IMO : Charter changes won't be his ticket home.

Please expand on your comment.

^ I suspect that you are right, but Thaksin has always pursued multiple avenues towards his goals. For instance, the Redshirts had both an armed wing and a much larger wing that genuinely tried to change things through civil disobedience which seemed to be operating more or less independently. In the end he won through the ballot box, so neither of them were necessary, though the 91 dead might have helped with the electoral win, so he can regard that as blood well spent.dry.png

He's probably angling for some sort of judicial review that will overturn or invalidate his conviction (where's that box of donuts again?). But if that doesn't work then constitutional reform might or he might bring the Redshirts out again.

Edit: the ^ was at tlansford's post. I took too long to write it!

Assuming that he works out a deal and does come back, the - let's call it "technical implementation" - will be interesting to see. But with the events since the election, it seems clear to me that the charter changes, while they might be some leverage for him to make a deal, I don't think it will be his ticket back.

For scorecard :

Thaksin faces many possible charges from his opponents that have not been brought yet. For this reason, I think it would be very difficult to change the charter to make sure that he can not be pursued with these charges and still have the charter pass a referendum.

I believe that any charter changes will try to address the issues with the 2007 charter (half appointed Senate, etc) but that it will neither expose the coup organizers nor address the LM law. Any attempt in the charter to absolve Thaksin will be too blatant to pass a referendum as well. While some of his problems may be addressed, I don't think charter changes alone will be enough for his return.

Therefore, I think he will continue to work on a deal.

"I have my own way of getting back home without having to rewrite the charter to favour me," - Give some credit for the man for being honest. He is openly admitting that he will break the law to come back without having to serve his term. Or does this mean abolishing the courts will do the trick for him?

"I have my own way of getting back home without having to rewrite the charter to favour me," - Give some credit for the man for being honest. He is openly admitting that he will break the law to come back without having to serve his term. Or does this mean abolishing the courts will do the trick for him?

He will not break a law to return, and will not serve a term imposed by illegal means, under the auspices of a coupist administration.

The question who belongs behind bars......Thaksin or the coupists

Coupist criminalization of those they coup - on behalf of the Democrat Party - does not a criminal make.

Thaksin was where he was because of electoral success. The coupists as a result of armed aggression.

Armed aggression that was exposed for its political illegality by last years elections.

Edited by CalgaryII

He will not break a law to return, and will not serve a term imposed by illegal means, under the auspices of a coupist administration.

Coupist criminalization of those they coup, does not a criminal make.

Thaksin was where he was because of electoral success. The coupists as a result of armed aggression.

Armed aggression that was exposed for its political illegality by last years elections.

Those involved in the coup should probably be behind bars, as should Thaksin.

Becareful. You can go to jail for 5 years just for your little innocent comment.

BANGKOK, March 5, 2012 (AFP) - Ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra has denied that a move by his political allies to amend the kingdom's constitution is aimed at clearing the way for his return.

"I have my own way of getting back home without having to rewrite the charter to favour me," Thaksin said.

Yes mate, and we all know <deleted> all about reverse psychology too, don't we?! ; being something you just learned about, from bankrupt Dubai skyscraper builders. NICE TO KNOW ONE, GET TO KNOW ONE isn't it?

You're on your tod, and you always will be - LOSER. giggle.gif

-mel.

• Like 1

Becareful. You can go to jail for 5 years just for your little innocent comment.

No he can't, 'cause he's a farang! We have laws and embassies that actually do things!

-mel.

Edited by MEL1

Why? Is there a law against talking about the coup generals?

<snip>

His divisiveness largely the result of anti-democracy coup machinations.

<snip>

His divisiveness is due to him changing laws to specifically suit his personal business empire.

But, ahum, how's he doing that when he has no connection to the current government, or it's running? :o

-mel. licklips.gif

-mel.

But it IS for his control of the place.

Once he controls everything he can return and shut down all attacks on his control.

What serves the interests of a megalomaniac obsessed with regaining face and power?

CONTROL!

His divisiveness is due to him changing laws to specifically suit his personal business empire.

But, ahum, how's he doing that when he has no connection to the current government, or it's running? ohmy.png

-mel. licklips.gif

-mel.

... before the coup.

We can trust Thaksin to tell the truth, can't we?

For example, roughly translated: "I've washed my hands of politics.", "I won't return if my return causes disunity.", "I want to return home. I miss Thailand.", etc.

But it IS for his control of the place.

Once he controls everything he can return and shut down all attacks on his control.

What serves the interests of a megalomaniac obsessed with regaining face and power?

CONTROL!

The only control he ever had, was what the voters gave him.

That was anathema to those who considered themselves heir-apparent to such control, and acted accordingly.

But those dam_n voters did it to 'em again.

What is a rightfull controller to do.

Crapflood This is the simplest type of IRC flooding. It involves posting large amounts of posts or one very long post with repetitive text. It can also involve text with no meaning or no pertinence to the current discussion. This type of flood is most commonly achieved by copying and pasting one short word repeatedly. Occasionally, when there are a large amount of small words, the entire message will be copied and pasted to produce massive amounts of text. This can, in turn, be done again, creating anexponential rise in the amount of text.

• Like 1

If you look at every time Thaksin makes an emphatic statement to the press, you'll see that he lies every time. If you want to know what the man thinks, then simply reverse what he says. Some examples:

"It was an honest mistake" (trying to wheedle out of being found guilty of hiding riches with his chauffeur and maid)

"I'm through with politics!" (stated often, since his ouster)

"Many people have been killed" (during a BBC interview re; the Reds rioting in Bkk in 2009)

"I am not a rich man" (stated two weeks prior to gaining his tax-free billions from Temasak)

......the list goes on.

Hi lawyers (Noppadon and Amsterdam) have to lie for Thaksin, but that's part of the job description of a lawyer. Chalerm is fast getting a reputation for lying (or making a buffoon of himself) each time he makes a statement. No wonder that his guru, Thaksin, is so proud of him.

• Like 1

...snip

Chalerm is fast getting a reputation for lying (or making a buffoon of himself) each time he makes a statement. No wonder that his guru, Thaksin, is so proud of him.

I think you might find Chalerms reputation for lying goes back quite a bit. Also not so sure about Thaksin being his guru - Chalerm was a cabinet minister long before Thaksin entered politics and also had done his exile bit in Sweden. Though Thaksin may have surpassed him eventually I don't think Chalerm is anybody elses fool but his own.