Kawasaki 650Cc Users

wana

i try to use benzine 91 but sometimes gasohol and usually get 175km-200km before the fuel light flashes

is that below average for city driving ? i read on forums some people get a lot more so interested to know

My 2012 with it's range prediction calculates that i will get 330km on a full tank in 6th gear cruising at 100kmh, that includes the 70km reserve after the fuel light starts blinking. I have to say the readings have been pretty accurate and i average around 300km to a tank smile.png

I haven't tested the bikes range in and around the city yet, but i do know that 200baht vanishes on one round trip to and from work each day, very thirsty indeed

Edited by karlos

May depend on which 650 you mean.

I don't really use my Versys around town but out of town around the North of Thailand I get considerably more than that.

versys tank is 4-5 litres larger

My 2012 with it's range prediction calculates that i will get 330km on a full tank in 6th gear cruising at 100kmh, that includes the 70km reserve after the fuel light starts blinking. I have to say the readings have been pretty accurate and i average around 300km to a tank smile.png

I haven't tested the bikes range in and around the city yet, but i do know that 200baht vanishes on one round trip to and from work each day, very thirsty indeed

i have not fiqured on the reserve ,i was counting it from the fuel light starts flashing

every time i fil up i reset the trip meter and i usually get 175-200 before that happens

i see on american forums the guys are getting 250 MILES and i cant even get that in km

tis a thirsty bastard indeed :D

seems like nearly every day i fill it and 500-550 thb per time it all adds up if i could be bothered to figure it out

and the thing is , i dont go on huge journeys every day ,i can burn that much just doing errands and stuff or spinning

around town :)

Yep, short distances where the engine hasn't warmed up and working up and down the gears results in very low MPG, so much so i have started to use my Yamaha Mio 125 for the daily commute again... Or the novelty of owning the 2012 650 has worn off :D

I've heard great things about the Versys - wish they were available when I got my GS...

Anyhow, for comparison, I get about 190 km on the main 13l tanks from the total 17l capacity on the 2007 F650GS. I ride around 130 where possible, but have a small front cog for better off-road performance...

Would love to take a spin on a versys :)

Yep, short distances where the engine hasn't warmed up and working up and down the gears results in very low MPG, so much so i have started to use my Yamaha Mio 125 for the daily commute again... Or the novelty of owning the 2012 650 has worn off biggrin.png

i dont mind spending a bit of cash on gas but its starting to get excessive filling that beast every day ,especially when your bein passed by waves and such because they can fit through gaps a bigger bike can only dream about ,its faster to get around bkk on the elegance for a fraction of the cost

its just impossibe to make much use of a 650 in day time bkk without taking silly risks

i might swap er6n for a versys or a 2nd hand r1 and use a scooter on weekdays and keep 1proper big bike for weekends trips to other places

Yep, short distances where the engine hasn't warmed up and working up and down the gears results in very low MPG, so much so i have started to use my Yamaha Mio 125 for the daily commute again... Or the novelty of owning the 2012 650 has worn off biggrin.png

i dont mind spending a bit of cash on gas but its starting to get excessive filling that beast every day ,especially when your bein passed by waves and such because they can fit through gaps a bigger bike can only dream about ,its faster to get around bkk on the elegance for a fraction of the cost

its just impossibe to make much use of a 650 in day time bkk without taking silly risks

i might swap er6n for a versys or a 2nd hand r1 and use a scooter on weekdays and keep 1proper big bike for weekends trips to other places

I was tempted by taking the secondhand superbike route too but decided against it due to the lack of parts, not knowing the bikes history and Micky Mouse green books. Might be worth holding out and seeing if this rumored CBR600F will ever come to, or be made in Thailand... :)

I was tempted by taking the secondhand superbike route too but decided against it due to the lack of parts, not knowing the bikes history and Micky Mouse green books. Might be worth holding out and seeing if this rumored CBR600F will ever come to, or be made in Thailand... smile.png

Yamaha have a shop full of big bikes now on ratchada rd ,some gorgeous r1s but they have proper prices

i seen a 2008 r1 2nd hand (not in the yamaha shop ) ,nice looking .red+ white with price of 170,000 but im sure it woudnt have a book at that price level and probably bodged together out bits from

differnt bikes

i dont fancy having a 176 bhp rocket thats been expertly assembled by a some kids on a dirty floor watching tv and eating som tam at the same time

i dont think i could feel safe going fast on a bike like that so i didnt folow it up

Edited by wana

I don't really use my Versys around town but out of town around the North of Thailand I get considerably more than that.

Wrong again, as usual passifier.gif

the versys tank is not larger than the er6n ? thats funny because im sitting beside an owner now who says it is licklips.gif

Wrong again, as usual passifier.gif

the versys tank is not larger than the er6n ? thats funny because im sitting beside an owner now who says it is licklips.gif

Yes, it is, but not 4 or 5 liters bigger smile.png Do a little research before you post up such nonsense smile.png FYI, EX650 tank is 4.1 gallon, KLE650 tank is 5.0 gallon. I wonder if you know how to convert that to liters? ;)

Edited by BigBikeBKK

@bigbikebkk

well ,i under stand imperial measurements very well ,but the future is the metric sytem

what are we talking here ...

19 litre tank on a versys ?

15 on the er6n ?

that sounds like 4 litres differnce to me ,but retarded bigbikebkk as per usual likes to turn every thread into flames and insults .....

retards-retard-demotivational-poster-1215782371.jpg

I was tempted by taking the secondhand superbike route too but decided against it due to the lack of parts, not knowing the bikes history and Micky Mouse green books. Might be worth holding out and seeing if this rumored CBR600F will ever come to, or be made in Thailand... smile.png

Yamaha have a shop full of big bikes now on ratchada rd ,some gorgeous r1s but they have proper prices

i seen a 2008 r1 2nd hand (not in the yamaha shop ) ,nice looking .red+ white with price of 170,000 but im sure it woudnt have a book at that price level and probably bodged together out bits from

differnt bikes

i dont fancy having a 176 bhp rocket thats been expertly assembled by a some kids on a dirty floor watching tv and eating som tam at the same time

i dont think i could feel safe going fast on a bike like that so i didnt folow it up

They all eat som tum so your out of luck.

According to the Kawasaki brochure, the ER-6 and Ninja 650 have 16 litre tanks and the Versys has a 19 litre tank. Therefore, 3 litres difference.

cant be bothered starting a pissing contest but i have the 2010 edition which is given at 15.5L according to :

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Kawasaki/Kawasaki-ER-6n-2009-current/

possiily the current model has 16 litres but lets not argue over 500ml of fuel ,the thread was more about fuel consumption than capacity

which is why the versys was even mentioned because it shares the 650 engine with the ninja and er6n

According to the Kawasaki brochure, the ER-6 and Ninja 650 have 16 litre tanks and the Versys has a 19 litre tank. Therefore, 3 litres difference.

cant be bothered starting a pissing contest but i have the 2010 edition which is given at 15.5L according to :

http://www.motorcycl...n-2009-current/

possiily the current model has 16 litres but lets not argue over 500ml of fuel ,the thread was more about fuel consumption than capacity

which is why the versys was even mentioned because it shares the 650 engine with the ninja and er6n

It sure would suck if some Versys owner believed they had 4 or 5 more liters and ended up running out of gas out in the sticks due to your incorrect information... coffee1.gif

http://www.motorcycl...n-2009-current/

It sure would suck if some Versys owner believed they had 4 or 5 more liters and ended up running out of gas out in the sticks due to your incorrect information... coffee1.gif

you think a versys owner is dumb enough to go somewhere he hasnt enough gas to get to ? oho wait ,you have a versys ,dont you ? licklips.gif

240 km before fuel light flashes on a Versys (19l tank, 3l reserve)

I even did some very advanced calculations at the fuel pump and it's around 15.5 km/l in town, a bit more out of town, and WAY more when forced to ride at a very slow pace - got over 18km/l following some Hardleys around, over 300km before the light came on. That was my record.

I am not sure I'd ride her daily in BKK given the crazy traffic there but in CM she makes a good commuter.

got over 18km/l following some Hardleys around, over 300km before the light came on. That was my record.

Not sure about my bike's range and live kilometer per liter readings, on long runs at steady throttle (6th gear 100-110kmh) it reads 22-23km/l, i can't see mine being that much more economical than the previous generations. Maybe Kawasaki have set their readings a tad on the optimistic side :D (2012 model)

you think a versys owner is dumb enough to go somewhere he hasnt enough gas to get to ? oho wait ,you have a versys ,dont you ? licklips.gif

Only if said Versys owner is dumb enough to listen to you and think they have more fuel than they really do... passifier.gif

• 1 month later...

I even did some very advanced calculations at the fuel pump and it's around 15.5 km/l in town, a bit more out of town, and WAY more when forced to ride at a very slow pace - got over 18km/l following some Hardleys around, over 300km before the light came on. That was my record.

I am not sure I'd ride her daily in BKK given the crazy traffic there but in CM she makes a good commuter.

Before I purchased my Ninja 250 I rented both a 650 and the 250. Simply the 250 was easier to ride and I could use 100% of it. The extra power of the 650 is nice but I hardly use the extra power and in the twisties, the smaller size and lighter weight will have most 650's behind me. I get 35 kpl on the road and 29. 5 average in town. Even my car gets 20 kpl (Nissan March) and if I turn off the A/C and be very careful I have gotten 26 kpl. Guess reading this make me happy of my decision. And to be honest, I have a wave I use for my everyday 7 runs and to the market. it gets 50 - 60 kpl around town.

Just a though on the Versys v's Ninja / er6n range.

Isn't the different gearing going to make a difference?

The only reason I ask is that on a recent trip from CM to Sukhothai & back the 2 guys with me on the er6n's seemed to be going through quite a bit more fuel than me.

We were cruising around 120 / 130 most of the time and I didn't even attempt to work out Km/l equations. I just fill it up when it needs fuel, simple as that for me.

Own Versys 650 - cost to fill up from dry around 700 Baht using 91 gasohol - used 95 Gas in the past with no change. Range mixed driving within Bangkok traffic and faster motorways ranges between 320-360 kilometers. High speed roads I rarely drive over 110kph unless passing someone or getting out of the way of crazy drivers, doesn't happen very often as I generally slow down more than speed up.

Just had service done, 12k major, found Oxygen sensor is bad, after being replaced, they had to order one as usual not in stock, we will see what happens to the mileage. I don't expect it to change much if any.

I drive rather normal, not very heavy on the throttle but 90% of the time with a passenger which keeps me off the throttle smile.png... I think the fastest I have ever been on the bike was around 140kph and that is enough for me and there was plenty left it seems. Then again I am one of those guys who likes to enjoy the ride as much as possible and not worry about hitting someone at 200kph that can't drive or that big lizard crossing the road.

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

i have transitioned from a a 2010 er6n to a 2011 ninja 650R to a 2011 versys and the versys is the most complete vehicle out of the lot of them

the er6n was fun and cool looking but to be honest ,it was uncomfortable to go too fast on due to the wind (im 183cm and a bit wider than most asians ) so the lack of a windscreen and fairings made a significant differnce

then i went to the ninja 650 and it was a much smoother animal ,especially at speeds of 100-200 it felt like it was designed to do that (unlike the er6n )

then i got a versys and it really is a step above the others ,that suspension is great over holes,ive been off road a couple of times doing things no versy was ever designed for

and it has handled itself well for a bike of that height and weight

the bigger tank is a bonus .even though it costs a lil bit more to fill i would take that over the smaller tank on the er6/ninja

i can normally get around 230-250 per tank but of course it depends on the twisting of the wrist :)

consumption i think does gets worse when you put a new pipe on it with no back pressure ,that was my experience on the

others so i still have the normal can on the versys so far and it sounds like an electric go-kart buggy

• Like 1