Buying An Existing Townhouse - Splitting ownership of House and Land?

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing a townhouse in Bangkok, however I as a foreigner obviously can not own the land.

Is it possible that somehow the House and Land gets splitted, and I buy the house and my girlfriend buys the land?

One lawyer I saw tell me if its already constructed its not possible, you can only do that before/while building the house.

The other lawyer said its possible if my GF buys the house and land, and then sells me just the house, but honestly this option has several downsides - seems dodgy, would involve a lot of extra fees and it seems odd.

10 minutes ago, thomasfielk said:

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing a townhouse in Bangkok, however I as a foreigner obviously can not own the land.

Is it possible that somehow the House and Land gets splitted, and I buy the house and my girlfriend buys the land?

One lawyer I saw tell me if its already constructed its not possible, you can only do that before/while building the house.

The other lawyer said its possible if my GF buys the house and land, and then sells me just the house, but honestly this option has several downsides - seems dodgy, would involve a lot of extra fees and it seems odd.

Have your gf buy it on a 30 year mortgage, you make the repayments while you live there.

If the bank won't trust your gf with a mortgage .....neither should you!

• Agree 1

Right, i forgot to mention that I would like to make this investment to eventually qualify for the LTR Wealthy Global Citizens as part of the 500k USD investment criteria.

The LTR sites states that as long as you have a Land Lease or a Usufruct that qualifies you.

This is one of those subjects that usually generate a lot of heat but don't enlighten much. I'm sure that different land offices have different practices and that a small contribution to the 'tea money' fund of the land office will get you the result you desire.

As for myself, I adopted the attitude when I came to live here, that whatever I brought to Thailand I could afford to lose, so I have had no interest in usufructs, bribes land ratings, chanotes the like. I am happy to live with my gf of 19 years and if she turns round and rips me off one day, then I figure she has earned by putting up with me all these years. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, thomasfielk said:

Right, i forgot to mention that I would like to make this investment to eventually qualify for the LTR Wealthy Global Citizens as part of the 500k USD investment criteria.

The LTR sites states that as long as you have a Land Lease or a Usufruct that qualifies you.

If you have that much money, just buy a nice condo ... in YOUR name.  You could even use the 10 or 20M baht you were going to gift to your GF :cheesy:

Is this another wind up thread :coffee1:

image.png.95b8f575c0da15c1676d069a761b2192.png

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, thomasfielk said:

Wow.... sounds even dumber than the original post.

Great job.