Misc Mp3 Questions

thejaundicedeye

Convert: Although MP3 format seems to rule, WMA seem to have smaller file size. Can these be converted w/o loss to quality? Is it even worthwhile?

Compress: Can these files be zipped w/ resulting smaller file size? Or, like binaries, gain nothing.

Bitrate: If 128 is consid std bitrate from cdrom and 99.9% rips are avi's from cd's why does anyone increase bitrate? If I get a prog to lower the bitrate does it effect the qual/sound? Can anyone recommend a prog that does this quickly and is stable (can run it all night and will not crash).

Copy: Faster to copy to HDD then to player or direct from cd on usb1.

Thank You -

Convert: Although MP3 format seems to rule, WMA seem to have smaller file size. Can these be converted w/o loss to quality? Is it even worthwhile?

Compress: Can these files be zipped w/ resulting smaller file size? Or, like binaries, gain nothing.

Bitrate: If 128 is consid std bitrate from cdrom and 99.9% rips are avi's from cd's why does anyone increase bitrate? If I get a prog to lower the bitrate does it effect the qual/sound? Can anyone recommend a prog that does this quickly and is stable (can run it all night and will not crash).

Thank You -

look here first :o

converting from mp3 to another format is possible, but do you need to?

compressing compressed files?

the bitrate story is gobeldygoo to me

rip to HDD me thinks ,as you have usb 1.1

try audigrabber for ripping, it's free

Thank You -

I find a higher bitrate plays a lot better on a good stereo system.

128 is the minimum for music in my opinion, but if you put an mp3 disc @128 kbps in a regular stereo you will clearly hear the difference if you compare it to the same song on an Audio CD - the sound is somehow fuller on the Audio CD.

To get something similar with mp3, you need a bitrate of at least 192 kbps. This is my subjective impression though, and there are probably other aspects that come into play, such as the quality of the rip program etc...

64kbps is cd quality

hardly.

128 is kind of FM radio quality, which is a long way short of CD.

Most of the "pros" in the business who I work with sniff thier nose at anything less than 320; myself I usually compress at 192, IMHO unless you've got "audiophile quality" speakers etc etc you're not going to notice the difference.

64? - if you can't hear the difference between that and CD you need new speakers, or ears...

:o

64kbps is cd quality

hardly.

128 is kind of FM radio quality, which is a long way short of CD.

Most of the "pros" in the business who I work with sniff thier nose at anything less than 320; myself I usually compress at 192, IMHO unless you've got "audiophile quality" speakers etc etc you're not going to notice the difference.

64? - if you can't hear the difference between that and CD you need new speakers, or ears...

:o

Let me clarify - Mp3pro format. I have all my mp3 converted and yes its cd quality w/bose speakers, and perfect hearing. :D

The theory of MP3 compression was explained to me once by a friend (not sure if he is right or not, but I bought his theory) who told me that digital sound processing converts music into millions of tones, similar to the way a computer can distinguish millions of colors in a digital image. MP3 compression works by filtering out similar tones in music. For example, if a guitar and a piano are producing the exact same tone, one instrument will be filtered out.

The lower bitrates have the heaviest filtering in order to achieve small filesizes. Larger bitrates will have less filtering and you will be able to hear the piano and guitar that are producing the same tones. For this reason, higher bitrates will have better sound quality.

The difference between a 128 and a 320 bitrate is clearly audible on any reasonable stereo, not just the high end systems. The desktop speakers that came with my Compaq computer are by JBL, and they can clearly deliver the difference.

My collection of MP3 files is mostly 128, which provides the best compromise of sound quality and file size. When I first started collecting MP3 files, I had a 56K modem, 100K Zip drive and 2 GB hard drive. It took a long time to download each file, and the disks filled up quickly.

With the advent of high speed internet, CD writers and huge capacity hard drives, I've started re-downloading my all-time favorites at 320 bitrate.

Edited by bino

Let me clarify - Mp3pro format. I have all my mp3 converted and yes its cd quality w/bose speakers, and perfect hearing.  :D

Bose?

:o:D:D

now I understand.

just spend a little time on google and search rec.audio.pro to find out what the real world thinks of Bose.

here's one example, off the top of my head:

"no highs, no lows - must be bose"

a triumph of marketing over substance...

:D

Let me clarify - Mp3pro format. I have all my mp3 converted and yes its cd quality w/bose speakers, and perfect hearing.  :D

Bose?

:o:D:D

now I understand.

just spend a little time on google and search rec.audio.pro to find out what the real world thinks of Bose.

here's one example, off the top of my head:

"no highs, no lows - must be bose"

a triumph of marketing over substance...

:D

Well opinions are like <deleted> - everyone has them!!! :D I'm happy at any rate - crystal clear with no distortion. :D

what do the audiophiles or experts think of this? look here

that looks like a very good site.

I agree with them on VBR; the main reason I don't use VBR more often is that when playing live or DJing etc, sometimes with VBR the "time remaining" is reported incorrectly in Winamp etc.

Btw some of the cheaper flash based MP3 players can't play back VBR encoded files.