I Just Met This Girl

AnotherOneAmerican

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World War I?

Sorry for the typo, WWII of course.

Pattaya, no thanks heard of it and not really into places with girls of that sort.

So far two sensible suggestions, Hat Yai and Chiang Mai, thanks for those.

One hundred and forty odd silly replies, would one of the forum moderators care to delete all of those?

I met her at Starbucks.

I hate to tell you this but every town in Thailand has girls of that sort. Chiang Mai has quite a few. You can live in Pattaya as many do and not consort with girls of that type; it is up to where you hang out. Pattaya has a number of advantages for the person who is new and not a Thai speaker and can be a good first location as you learn about Thailand and learn to speak the language. And get off your high horse about hookers; Thailand has more per capita than any other country in the world – get used to it. Pattaya has great food, good infrastructure, didn't flood last year and is a cheap place to live. Right now folks in Chiang Mai are choking on the air, Pattaya is fine.

• Like 2

World War I?

Pattaya, no thanks heard of it and not really into places with girls of that sort.

One hundred and forty odd silly replies, would one of the forum moderators care to delete all of those?

I met her at Starbucks.

I hate to tell you this but every town in Thailand has girls of that sort. Chiang Mai has quite a few. You can live in Pattaya as many do and not consort with girls of that type; it is up to where you hang out. Pattaya has a number of advantages for the person who is new and not a Thai speaker and can be a good first location as you learn about Thailand and learn to speak the language. And get off your high horse about hookers; Thailand has more per capita than any other country in the world – get used to it. Pattaya has great food, good infrastructure, didn't flood last year and is a cheap place to live. Right now folks in Chiang Mai are choking on the air, Pattaya is fine.

Without wanting to dive into the Pattaya Forum (and this is not a piss take) ... where exactly do you go out to avoid the scene. Probably more referring to the night life.

It might change the OP's perception on Pattaya.

World War I?

I met her at Starbucks.

I hate to tell you this but every town in Thailand has girls of that sort.  Chiang Mai has quite a few.  You can live in Pattaya as many do and not consort with girls of that type; it is up to where you hang out.  Pattaya has a number of advantages for the person who is new and not a Thai speaker and can be a good first location as you learn about Thailand and learn to speak the language.  And get off your high horse about hookers; Thailand has more per capita than any other country in the world – get used to it.  Pattaya has great food, good infrastructure, didn't flood last year and is a cheap place to live.  Right now folks in Chiang Mai are choking on the air, Pattaya is fine.

Without wanting to dive into the Pattaya Forum (and this is not a piss take) ... where exactly do you go out to avoid the scene.  Probably more referring to the night life.

It might change the OP's perception on Pattaya.

In the three years I lived there I never went to Walking street and stayed on the other side of 2nd Road and was not bothered by the drunks, which are far worse than the ladies. The choices of restaurants, shopping and other amenities are to me far more important than the occasional sighting of a short skirt or tattooed bum.

I hate to tell you this but every town in Thailand has girls of that sort. Chiang Mai has quite a few. You can live in Pattaya as many do and not consort with girls of that type; it is up to where you hang out. Pattaya has a number of advantages for the person who is new and not a Thai speaker and can be a good first location as you learn about Thailand and learn to speak the language. And get off your high horse about hookers; Thailand has more per capita than any other country in the world get used to it. Pattaya has great food, good infrastructure, didn't flood last year and is a cheap place to live. Right now folks in Chiang Mai are choking on the air, Pattaya is fine.

Good points, Kerry. I agree with you on Pattaya. The hooker scene is just one tiny portion of the Pattaya-Jomptien area. The rest of the district stretches right up to Chon buri and down to Rayong, and all points in between. I have many friends who only come to Pattaya to play golf and enjoy the beach scene. They come to Pattaya with their wives and everyone has a good time. It all depends on your personal interests. I happen to like the mountains so I stay in the north and travel frequently to the north east for fishing. But, if I wanted the beach scene I might choose Krabi, although Pattaya offers a wider variety of everything and it's much easier to travel elsewhere. I'm always amazed at people who knock Pattaya without ever exploring the outlying areas.

OP: I've been watching this thread off and on, and will start following this a bit closer. Personally, I almost deleted your post right off as we get these all the time. Many are from returned members who were banned and just want to stir things up. Which your post obviously did. We call these "troll" posts.

Foreigners come here (or to the Philippines or to Brazil or to ????) and fall in love with younger women every day. Sometimes it works out, most times it doesn't. You're making a very rash decision. Back off, think this over. Come back here and not meet your gal but cruise around and get to know the country first. It ain't Kansas, Dorothy. I love it here, but there are many, many issues you have to deal with. Go slow. Meet some other women. There's a few others here who would also love to be with you. That's a huge age difference. Fun for a bit, but other than the physical attraction, you have nothing in common with her. I've been married 8 years and still have problems due to age, language, culture, etc. It ain't easy. I wouldn't change a thing, but it's work for sure.

Regarding Pattaya, as mentioned above, avoid Walking Street and some of the sois off Beach Road, and you're in pretty much any other town in Thailand. I've lived here for 2 years and have been to Walking Street 2 times...only with visitors who had to see it. There's a great expat community here. Lots to do. Bang Saray is beautiful! Was there on the beach last night for the sunset. Fantastic. Going sailing this weekend. Was with a huge group of expats at a local bar watching them play music. 90% were there with their wives. Great fun. Easy to meet others. Lots of things to do.

Anyway...my 2 cents worth. The General forum can be a tough place to get good replies.

Do a Google search on "thai women marriage problem". Or something like that. Read what you find. Do some research. Here's a few links that might interest you:

http://thailandmusings.thaivisa.com/why-do-thai-girls-marry-older-foreign-guys/

Stickman has some nuggets worth reading also. I have not read this all (it's long!), but might be worth a read:

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader/reader1803.htm

• Like 2

What's her job? If she can take two weeks off to be with the man of her dreams, she must be pretty wealthy!

BTW I have a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath home in Phuket for 5.9 as I've had enough of renting out the house for the last 5 years. Time to sell.

Lots of good advice from Craig.

If the Op is serious and not a Troll, he should not buy anything yet, even if he attains his Thai Nationality and can own a home and land in his own name.

He needs lots of time to explore, learn, and enjoy Thailand.

Come here, rent or stay in hotels and travel a while and see where he wants to be.

If he is so interested in the younger girl, nothing wrong with that, but doubt she will stick around once she finds out he can get of has Thai nationality. If he is Thai, she will have less leverage on his finances and property rights.

If it is true love or even infatuation, the girl may stick around. Time will tell.

Don't be a fool and rush things.

Enjoy exploring and learning about Thailand. Don't jump into the fire without knowing what your doing.

Another stupid reply from you... you not only don't know that you can't just buy a house, you also can't just buy a business...

Do I assume correctly that you don't even know the requirements to apply for, receive and keep a retirement Visa for Thailand????

Once I get my Thai ID card, I can't imagine having problems in those areas.

Just a little bit of paperwork to fill in.

laugh.png

OP: I've been watching this thread off and on, and will start following this a bit closer. Personally, I almost deleted your post right off as we get these all the time. Many are from returned members who were banned and just want to stir things up. Which your post obviously did. We call these "troll" posts.

Foreigners come here (or to the Philippines or to Brazil or to ????) and fall in love with younger women every day. Sometimes it works out, most times it doesn't. You're making a very rash decision. Back off, think this over. Come back here and not meet your gal but cruise around and get to know the country first. It ain't Kansas, Dorothy. I love it here, but there are many, many issues you have to deal with. Go slow. Meet some other women. There's a few others here who would also love to be with you. That's a huge age difference. Fun for a bit, but other than the physical attraction, you have nothing in common with her. I've been married 8 years and still have problems due to age, language, culture, etc. It ain't easy. I wouldn't change a thing, but it's work for sure.

Regarding Pattaya, as mentioned above, avoid Walking Street and some of the sois off Beach Road, and you're in pretty much any other town in Thailand. I've lived here for 2 years and have been to Walking Street 2 times...only with visitors who had to see it. There's a great expat community here. Lots to do. Bang Saray is beautiful! Was there on the beach last night for the sunset. Fantastic. Going sailing this weekend. Was with a huge group of expats at a local bar watching them play music. 90% were there with their wives. Great fun. Easy to meet others. Lots of things to do.

Anyway...my 2 cents worth. The General forum can be a tough place to get good replies.

Do a Google search on "thai women marriage problem". Or something like that. Read what you find. Do some research. Here's a few links that might interest you:

http://thailandmusings.thaivisa.com/why-do-thai-girls-marry-older-foreign-guys/

Stickman has some nuggets worth reading also. I have not read this all (it's long!), but might be worth a read:

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader/reader1803.htm

Excellent post, Craig. I agree completely. As I've said many times before there is a whole lot more to Pattaya than just the bar scene. And, places like the off shore islands are a treat that feel like some exotic getaway costing only a minimal amount for an entire day. There is so much accommodation that it's easy to find something for 400 baht a day, or less by the month.

Hi AnotherOneAmerican,

Welcome to the cynical old farts om Thaivisa.

I don't know if you are a troll or not, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Before doing anything else, read lots of forums about Thailand for expats. You need to cover all sorts of topics, like how to get a retirement visa, the pitfalls of gold digging Thai girls (not necessarily yours), climate, US taxation abroad, what foreigners cannot own in Thailand - especially LAND.

If you don't lose heart after this exercise, come back for maybe 6 weeks - UNANNOUNCED. Phone your lady and see what reaction you get - or see if she's at the coffee shop.

Scope out somewher nice to live within your budget and within range of amenities you want (supermarket, golf course, beach...)

You may wonder why you got so many cynical responses above. If you really are new to the Thai expat scene, you may be unaware of the very high failure rate of Falang/Thai romances. This is often due to a failure to understand the Thai devotion to family. That doesn't mean you; it means parents, siblings, alcoholic gambling grandmothers etc etc. The appearance of friendship and love is then merely a device to part you from your money before dumping you when you cease supplying money on demand.

Hi AnotherOneAmerican,

Welcome to the cynical old farts om Thaivisa.

I don't know if you are a troll or not, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Before doing anything else, read lots of forums about Thailand for expats. You need to cover all sorts of topics, like how to get a retirement visa, the pitfalls of gold digging Thai girls (not necessarily yours), climate, US taxation abroad, what foreigners cannot own in Thailand - especially LAND.

If you don't lose heart after this exercise, come back for maybe 6 weeks - UNANNOUNCED. Phone your lady and see what reaction you get - or see if she's at the coffee shop.

Scope out somewher nice to live within your budget and within range of amenities you want (supermarket, golf course, beach...)

You may wonder why you got so many cynical responses above. If you really are new to the Thai expat scene, you may be unaware of the very high failure rate of Falang/Thai romances. This is often due to a failure to understand the Thai devotion to family. That doesn't mean you; it means parents, siblings, alcoholic gambling grandmothers etc etc. The appearance of friendship and love is then merely a device to part you from your money before dumping you when you cease supplying money on demand.

You sound like an old fart. coffee1.gif

I'm a middle aged fart

Farts get more prominent as you get older, believe me. hit-the-fan.gif

Something else to look forward to unsure.png again.

Your not painting ( forgive the expression ) a very good picture of getting old Transam. I think I may have to reconsider my plans.

I'm a middle aged fart

Farts get more prominent as you get older, believe me. hit-the-fan.gif

Something else to look forward to unsure.png again.

Your not painting ( forgive the expression ) a very good picture of getting old Transam. I think I may have to reconsider my plans.

Think I've burst your bubble tonight eh. drunk.gif

I am considering terminating my TV(True Vision) subscription and just looking at TV(Thai Visa Forums) each evening.

You cannot beat TV Forum for entertainment, and the price is right. Thai politics and Thai lady issues are excellent.

• Like 1

I'm a bit offended at that comment.......we put a lot of effort into being obtuse coffee1.gif

That's the right angle.

I thought he was going off at a tangent myself.

I'm a bit offended at that comment.......we put a lot of effort into being obtuse coffee1.gif

That's the right angle.

I thought he was going off at a tangent myself.

Now we're just going round in circles!