I Just Met This Girl

AnotherOneAmerican

Here's your sensible reply. Leave your house in the States alone. Rent a place for a year or two. Proceed with caution.

Sorry, went out shopping, leaving my PC on this page.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion Smokie, but currently my US taxes (state and property) are approx $300,000 a year.

Just leaving the house would cost me a large amount, as I would still have to pay those taxes.

I think it would be better to buy a house outright over here.

Ah yes buy a house in the name of your gf of two weeks. Smart move.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit upset. I told you a good place to live. giggle.gif

Being serious, i always thought the advice about have a place back in your homeland, a very good idea. Having that bit of a safety net. Then if the worst happens and you get cleaned out, you have at least that left.

Do you realise that you do not own the house in Thailand, your Thai girlfriend / wife does. If anything happens, it's gone. You can own a condo.

I am mesmerized by your avatar, but l agree with your post, mines been deleted. cowboy.gif

22 replies, none of them about where to live, apart from Mr. Canada who I believe was joking.

1 moderator reply, having remove who knows what.

Are the posters on this forum really so unhelpful?

Quite disgraceful!

I would have thought some people here would have some idea of a nice place to live.

Was it my fault, let me be more specific.

Looking to live somewhere with good Internet access, coffee bars, restaurants American and Thai.

Not too rural, where I could buy or build a house for 4-10Mbht on a few rai of land, money is not really a problem.

Could I have some serious suggestions from people who live in places like this

Dont think it matters too much where you buy or build. Once that 10Mbht house is in her name (and it cant be in your name as that wont be legal), she will soon be moving her mid 20s Thai "brother" in. And you know what they say, two's company, three's a crowd. Sorry to say but you will be that third wheel that needs to move out. But dont worry, they will both really enjoy that 10Mbht house you generously purchased for them.

So, yeah, just take a map of Thailand out, and throw some darts at it. Or better yet, just ask her where she wants it, she will be the one living in it after youre gone....

But plenty more coffee shops to go find another. Just rinse and repeat....

Here's your sensible reply. Leave your house in the States alone. Rent a place for a year or two. Proceed with caution.

Sorry Dean, went out shopping, leaving my PC on this page.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion Smokie, but currently my US taxes (state and property) are approx $300,000 a year.

Just leaving the house would cost me a large amount, as I would still have to pay those taxes.

You can buy a house out here but you cannot own land so the bottom line is you wont own the house. Listen to what Smokie is telling you its good advice.

Bangkok is no more Thailand than New York is the USA, have a look round first.

Ah yes buy a house in the name of your gf of two weeks. Smart move.

What a strange idea!

I would buy a house in my own name.

You can buy a house but you can't own the 3 rai of land. How do you propose getting around that one?

Bangkok is overrated, good for falling in love and enjoying a coffee.

Why not try somewhere else to while away the years with your new found teerak? From your post, you might be suited to Southern Thailand. Hat Yai is a big city and plenty of action in surrounding provinces to keep you on your toes.

Is the action a bit like the KU KLUX CLAN only with Muslims?

Why not come and live in Pattaya ,you could buy a nice house ,in her name (you cant own land) and then she could find a nice little job greeting tourists in a place we call 'walking street" you wont like it ,no coffee shops ,and then you can settle down to married bliss (the sort a 63 year old has with a 24 year old girl he has known for two weeks.

Edited by metisdead
You do not need to use underscore to make your point! Underscore removed.

I'm becoming increasingly confused by some of the replies to my post.

You say I can't own a house or land, but no indication why this is not possible.

Neither have I suggested I was going to get married or to buy the girl a house.

One of the reasons I wanted to come to Thailand is that my mother was Thai.

My father met her when he was working as a Marine in the US Embassy shortly after WWI.

After his tour of duty they moved to the States where I was born.

I have never been to Thailand before but I still have my mothers (now deceased) Thai passport, her Thai birth certificate, and my Thai birth certificate somewhere.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

You say I can't own a house or land, but no indication why this is not possible.

Don't sweat these small details for now. Please, tell us more about this new love of your life. What is it about her that makes her so special?

You can own the house but not the land. Only a Thai can own land in Thailand.

You cannot own the land, the house yes but if she says move your house l think you are stuffed. Keep all your proof of payments and perhaps if things go tits up you can reclaim 50% of your investment if you are married.

Sorry Dean, went out shopping, leaving my PC on this page.

Bookman, Hat Yai sounds interesting.

Smokie, thanks for your suggestion but currently my US taxes (state and property) are approx $300,000 a year.

Mate, if you can afford taxes of $300,000 a year, to hell with it, sell up and make the move over for your Thai sweetheart. You could probably buy (and lose) a few houses in Thailand before it starts to hurt

So yeah, go for it...

A quick check of the OP's IP address will almost certainly reveal him to be an existing - or quite possibly - a banned member - in resurrected, mischievous form, out to create mayhem amongst the gullible and old hands alike...

This is a troll of the first order.

If I am wrong, I swear on the lives of my string of hookers that I will marry the very first lady-boy who crosses my path on my way to the local Pattaya Starbucks.

Where shall we meet, not starbucks eh ?giggle.gif

• Like 1

A quick check of the OP's IP address will almost certainly reveal him to be an existing - or quite possibly - a banned member - in resurrected, mischievous form, out to create mayhem amongst the gullible and old hands alike...

If I am wrong, I swear on the lives of my string of hookers that I will marry the very first lady-boy who crosses my path on my way to the local Pattaya Starbucks.

Again?

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

Again?

:lol:

Troll yes, but not particularly original or believable. Now if he had said he was also 24, that he never had to pay her, that she paid him....eh, well that's not very original either.

Hey guys, why don't you explain to him clearly. I see that your sarcasm is not too obvious to the OP. I would have done, but I don't have enough experience.

"This is a troll of the first order" - you sure?

Edited by ravip

Let me blunt. A fool and his money are soon parted. A 24 year old bird on your arm is a dream come true. You cannot own land in Thailand, the girl can, she is Thai, you are not. Can you link these threads together?

THailand is not the west, they do things differently here, you have been here 2 weeks and you dont know how things work here, until you do dont make any committments, I would suggest you order this book as a start "Your Investment Guide to Thailand." by Bruce Bickerstaff. You will learn a lot if you read it.

I have no idea what season we are in/on with this topic bit its a bit like the UK pension annual inflation increase freezing, it will keep coming back.

Edited by nong38
  • Like 1

Neither have I suggested I was going to get married or to buy the girl a house.

One of the reasons I wanted to come to Thailand is that my mother was Thai.

My father met her when he was working as a Marine in the US Embassy shortly after WWI.

After his tour of duty they moved to the States where I was born.

I have never been to Thailand before but I still have my mothers (now deceased) Thai passport, her Thai birth certificate, and my Thai birth certificate somewhere.

That's the reason why people make fun / think you are a troll / at least think you are an idiot who just entered his third spring while meeting this young girl... you have no idea the laws of this country, never lived here but based on a short adventure, you start thinkig with little American...

so if you REALLY want to make the move, the only smart move is:

- sell your house in the US if it must be for tax reasons

- keep the money in an account safe from every girl

- RENT a house in one place, move to other places 6-12 months later and other places again few months later till you find the place YOU like

- and learn about the Thai property laws...

and stop thinking that a 24y old Thai girl sees any other but a source of income in a 63y old man... once the ATM (your bank account) stops to pour out money, she will start shopping around for the next one... and if you would be stupid enough to buy land in her name - no matter who "owns" the house - you would loose that property as well...

and if you would read some of the threads on TV, you would learn that you are not the first and not the last one to who this will happen... so better start all over again and THINK with your BRAIN and not with the little One...

Let me blunt. A fool and his money are soon parted. A 24 year old bird on your arm is a dream come true. You cannot own land in Thailand, the girl can, she is Thai, you are not. Can you link these threads together?

My I direct you to my post #43 which you appear not to have read or perhaps not understood.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Hey guys, why don't you explain to him clearly. I see that your sarcasm is not too obvious to the OP. I would have done, but I don't have enough experience.

"This is a troll of the first order" - you sure?

We have a combined age of about 100,000, lived in Thailand for about 50,000 years combined, we have started about 30,000 topics, made 3 million posts, and had about 60 million page views.

You're right......we're not sure crazy.gif

• Like 2