Nationwide Alcohol Ban For Makabucha Day: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already just been to my 'estate' local corner shop, for my 4 beers for tonight.

My Q: "Prungnee mee alcohol mai, mee Ardcha si guat mai na - prungnee chow?"

Shop answer: "Chai, mai mee pan ha! - tuk wayla" 555+

Seems the ban will be enforced dramatically! ;)

-mel.

Normally these announcements have a clear period between which hours no alcohol sale is allowed. Mostly 6PM one day till mid-night next. Now no indication. Does theNation assume it's readers know all, or is it just a short oversight?

The Nation article above did include that info in one sentence:

The ban will start at midnight tonight and will last until the midnight hour of Wednesday.
  • Like 1

Normally these announcements have a clear period between which hours no alcohol sale is allowed. Mostly 6PM one day till mid-night next. Now no indication. Does theNation assume it's readers know all, or is it just a short oversight?

The Nation article above did include that info in one sentence:

The ban will start at midnight tonight and will last until the midnight hour of Wednesday.

Short oversight, I need new glasses wai.gif

One of the (many!) advantages to living outside the Mango is the total irrelevance of these holier-than-thou prescriptions from what Bangkok perceives as On High -- i.e., itself. The rest of the country could give two hoots how Bangkokians want to live, and have no desire to emulate them.

So, tomorrow, I will not be able to buy alcohol at 7-Eleven; Lotus; or Makro. But every other outlet, and all drinking establishments (we have no hotels in my village) will be openly selling -- no teacups needed, thank you.

Happy Makha Bucha, from Isan!

Seems the ban will be enforced dramatically! wink.png

-mel.

Archa, have you no taste buds ? bah.gif

• Like 1

"1097 user(s) are reading this topic"

It seems that we are worried when we see the words alcohol and ban in 1 sentence:)

We are worried just by the word "ban", especially in connection with religion. Smells ... Taliban-ish

Talis have been baned here for quite some time

-mel.

Archa, have you no taste buds ? bah.gif

Ardcha, pronounced differently, is my PWD for are you selling my Singha or Chang export. The locals drink Archa, and listen, but she gets in and keeps in the back for me my requirements, as the locals can't afford mine. Sorry for the delusion! I may just be enjoying a few cool Guiness cans tomorrow. ;)

-mel.

-mel.

Maybe because it is tomorrow? You could use your alcohol free day to try and improve your Thinglish?

I don't worry anymore -- don't drink. And for everybody else -- most of the bars on Kaow San or your local bar if they pay Tea Money. But why not just take the day off, sip a Coke, and enjoy a day of sobriety.

So silly and what a waste of police tiem with so much real crime still to solve. Prohibition NEVER works hasn't history shown us that. If your religion says you should not drink and it is important to you then simply do not drink but why involve others who do nto follow you faith in such rulings. Hardly freedom or logical or sensible/ Oh well I suppose TIT.

Or perhaps you could try observance out of respect. After all, it's not your country. No doubt you would be pissed off with foreigners in your own country carrying on as though your own sacred days meant nothing. Just a suggestion.

+1

jap.gif

Really most of you need to get a life if you cannot spend a day without drinking, or if your life resolves around drinking. Ohhh wait, what do we call that back in the states. That's right, an alcoholiccoffee1.gif .

Enjoy your stay! clap2.gif

Edited by Newguy70
  • Like 1

So silly and what a waste of police tiem with so much real crime still to solve. Prohibition NEVER works hasn't history shown us that. If your religion says you should not drink and it is important to you then simply do not drink but why involve others who do nto follow you faith in such rulings. Hardly freedom or logical or sensible/ Oh well I suppose TIT.

Or perhaps you could try observance out of respect. After all, it's not your country. No doubt you would be pissed off with foreigners in your own country carrying on as though your own sacred days meant nothing. Just a suggestion.

+1

jap.gif

Really most of you need to get a life if you cannot spend a day without drinking, or if your life resolves around drinking. Ohhh wait, what do we call that back in the states. That's right, an alcoholiccoffee1.gif .

It's nothing to do with do with spending a day without a drink, it's to do with being dictated to what you can do and can not.Thailand is a major tourist destination so T.A T say. So why treat the tourist like children just because you are like sheep in the STATES we are are not all like that

• Like 1

Was in Fuji Phuket the other day and aparently the can't buy alcohol with your meal after 2pm and before 5 had been scrapped. Maybe not because in Bangkok you still cannot. It's a miracle if you ever know what is happening from day to day.

I remember last Easter at the Chokchai Steakhouse at Pak Chong they wouldn't sell wine with a mean after 1400 (2pm). Drove me mad and I'll never go there again.

Anybody else know about the 1400 no alcohol rule?

Was in Fuji Phuket the other day and aparently the can't buy alcohol with your meal after 2pm and before 5 had been scrapped. Maybe not because in Bangkok you still cannot. It's a miracle if you ever know what is happening from day to day.

I remember last Easter at the Chokchai Steakhouse at Pak Chong they wouldn't sell wine with a mean after 1400 (2pm). Drove me mad and I'll never go there again.

Still applies in 7/11, Big C and Makro (unless, of course, you buy TEN litres - have never quite worked that one out).

Still applies in 7/11, Big C and Makro (unless, of course, you buy TEN litres - have never quite worked that one out).

Done that a few times when I only wanted two

+1

jap.gif

It's nothing to do with do with spending a day without a drink, it's to do with being dictated to what you can do and can not.Thailand is a major tourist destination so T.A T say. So why treat the tourist like children just because you are like sheep in the STATES we are are not all like that

I agree - at least with the first part of the post. It is quite right that Buddhists keep faith with their traditions and if Makha Bucha Day is a non-drinking day then all Buddhists should abstain. Anyone who feels that it is appropriate to support their partners/friends by also abstaining - again OK. However, I am not a Buddhist, and indeed have no religious leanings, so (in a free-thinking world) why should I be denied the opportunity to have a glass of wine at my favourite restaurant.

There is also a question of whether buying, selling or actually drinking is prohibited under the rules of Buddism. I still can't enjoy my glass of wine if my favourite restaurant is Buddhist owned if selling is prohibited.

This is not about needing a drink and this not about not showing respect to Buddhists or Thailand. It is about the reasonable freedom of choice.which is unnecessarily lost when the law enforcers badly interpret or inconsistently apply religious ideologies.

• Like 1

+1

jap.gif

The law has nothing to do with tourists. Thailand, its culture and prominent religion doesn't revolve around tourists. If you have no problem with not drinking for a day then why get worked up over this? You need to obey speed limits too regardless of how skilled a driver you are or how remote and safe the road is. Take a lesson from the culture here and don't get worked up over things that don't even effect you or that you cannot control. If you're an alcoholic that for some reason is only able to drink in the bars or is only able to go out on Wednesday then by all means, share your gripe. But to act as though this is the first time in your life you have experienced laws or restrictions on when, where, how much, what type and by whom alcohol can be bought or sold (in just about any country) is to get yourself worked up over nothing.

• Like 1

Phuket alcohol ban for Makha Bucha Day

PHUKET: -- Phuket Police have confirmed that a 24-hour ban on selling alcohol will come into effect from midnight tonight in respect of tomorrow being the Buddhist holiday Makha Bucha Day.

Lt Col Pisit Chuenpetch, Deputy Superintendent of Phuket City Police Station, confirmed to the Phuket Gazette this afternoon that the ban will be enforced across Phuket.

“This a nationwide ban in respect for tomorrow being a Buddhist holiday,” he said.

The ban will end at midnight on Wednesday.

However, Lt Col Pisit declined to clearly indicate whether or not hotels are to abstain from selling alcohol.

Patong Police chief Arayapan Pukbuakao warned that any nightlife venues, restaurants and even convenience stores such as 7-Elevens caught selling alcohol during the ban will be fined.

“Police officers will patrol the streets of Patong to enforce the ban,” Col Arayapan said.

“Offenders will face a fine ranging from 3,000 to 5,000 baht, depending on the severity of the transgression,” he added.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-03-06

The law has nothing to do with tourists. Thailand, its culture and prominent religion doesn't revolve around tourists. If you have no problem with not drinking for a day then why get worked up over this? You need to obey speed limits too regardless of how skilled a driver you are or how remote and safe the road is. Take a lesson from the culture here and don't get worked up over things that don't even effect you or that you cannot control. If you're an alcoholic that for some reason is only able to drink in the bars or is only able to go out on Wednesday then by all means, share your gripe. But to act as though this is the first time in your life you have experienced laws or restrictions on when, where, how much, what type and by whom alcohol can be bought or sold (in just about any country) is to get yourself worked up over nothing.

So, if I am a Thai Christian I must still be denied the opportunity to enjoy a drink if I want one ?

NO ! I can sit at home drinking, this is about a knee-jerk, half-arsed attempt by the law enforcement authorities to apply a rule to cover (what they deem to be) respect to a Buddhist day..

Note that this a ban on SELLING alcohol. If you have alcohol you can drink it freely - apparently (according to the police notice) without disrespect to the Lord Buddha. Oh - but we are not sure about hotels !

As an aside, it was good of them to give clear and concise advance notice - how long has this full moon been in the offing ??