Buying Kitchen Stuffs For Restaurant Use

sunnyhor

Anyone knows where to buy these thing for business use? Friends and me setting up a small restaurant in Chiang Mai, where to buy all these for a reasonable and reliable price and service?

Like refrigerator, baking oven, coffee blending machine, pots and pans etc.

Any inputs regarding the above mentioned appreciate!

Edited by sunnyhor

Don't want to post the link, but if you search for "seven five thailand" you will find the site of an excellent restaurant supplier. I know they have stores in Bangkok, Phuket, Samui- not sure about CM but I am sure they can arrange delivery.

• Like 1

Don't want to post the link, but if you search for "seven five thailand" you will find the site of an excellent restaurant supplier. I know they have stores in Bangkok, Phuket, Samui- not sure about CM but I am sure they can arrange delivery.

Thanks mate!!!!!

Don't!

Got me curious too... why not? Have you had a bad experience with seven five? I'd find this tough to believe because they are well established for many years and highly respected in the restaurant / catering business.

Don't!

Got me curious too... why not? Have you had a bad experience with seven five? I'd find this tough to believe because they are well established for many years and highly respected in the restaurant / catering business.

I went to the website and see that they have most of the kitchen supply. But I think they are definitely not the cheapest though. But the comment Don't make me really wanna know what's up??? Or it's a rival opinion!!!?

If you want professional restaurant equipment that will last, it follows the old maxim that applies to lots of things:

"Cheap stuff isn't good, and good stuff isn't cheap."

Maybe someone else has an cheaper alternative or a place that is actually in Chiang Mai.

I am interested in why slaps says "Don't" though!

Edited by bino

If you want professional restaurant equipment that will last, it follows the old maxim that applies to lots of things:

"Cheap stuff isn't good, and good stuff isn't cheap."

Maybe someone else has an cheaper alternative or a place that is actually in Chiang Mai.

I am interested in why slaps says "Don't" though!

I somehow agree on "Cheap stuff isn't good, and good stuff isn't cheap." BUT some are just too much out of the planning budget.

Thanks anyway and will have to do lot's of researches and price compare before commit!

Don't!

oooooppppps, tell me more PLEASE! Or you have alternatives?

.Maybe Slaps is alluding to the opening of a restaurant rather than dealing with that particular supplier

If you have just a little patience and check the TV classifieds, you'll find someone closing a restaurant, coffee house or bar almost weekly which probably clears up the ambiguity of Slaps' comment. Otherwise:

All things coffee: Hillkoff

Baking: BakerMart (Puen Crua), Yok, or Macro. BakerMart is probably the best and most helpful and will give you contacts for things like refrigeration which they don't supply.

See my map posted in the stickies above for locations

I wouldn't buy pots and pans here. Bring them over yourself. I found one stock pot that was 10K baht here and I have an identical one that I paid only 125$ for. The mark up and tax hike on those things is really high. As for equipment bahtsold has a lot of things for sale but not many locally. The problem is that most local dealers don't have high end stuff. Most is mid to low quality. The commercial food companies have some sturdy products but they are expensive and not elegant in design.

Really, think out your project before investing though. The success rate of rest. is very low and even lower if it is your first time. If you have owned one before, disregard the warning. Good luck

Don't!

oooooppppps, tell me more PLEASE! Or you have alternatives?

.Maybe Slaps is alluding to the opening of a restaurant rather than dealing with that particular supplier

Spot on

But that's just me

Spot on

But that's just me

Oh - Ok. Understood now, and I don't disagree.

I've never been in the restaurant business, but have seen it from the outside looking in, and it is about as close as being married to your job as you can get.

You're the first guy there every morning to ensure the deliveries arrive, complete as ordered, and fresh / good quality.

You're the last guy out at night after the last guests have left so that you can take the money.

All day long having to watch everything like a hawk to ensure quality control - customers are satisfied and that your employees are not ripping you off.

For those reasons I wouldn't get into the restaurant business either- but that's just me!

Lots of people do it though, people have to eat after all. Good luck to the OP.

Being in the restaurant biz as Chef/Owner for 25 yrs. in USA I'd like to add that there is a lot more involved, esp. in the management of all the details, than noted in the above post. I graduated from The Culinary Institute of America after I got a BA in Economics and would never open one here. But I wish you all the luck and if you have any questions or need advice I'd be happy to help as I still have a passion for it all and often lend a hand, not looking for anything in return as long the person is serious and wants to do it honestly with respect of the customers and food etc.

• Like 1

Being in the restaurant biz as Chef/Owner for 25 yrs. in USA I'd like to add that there is a lot more involved, esp. in the management of all the details, than noted in the above post. I graduated from The Culinary Institute of America after I got a BA in Economics and would never open one here. But I wish you all the luck and if you have any questions or need advice I'd be happy to help as I still have a passion for it all and often lend a hand, not looking for anything in return as long the person is serious and wants to do it honestly with respect of the customers and food etc.

I totally agree. Most people think that it's a very simple stuff of cooking food and serving. But, OMG, it's crazy. All the equipment has to be maintained, taxes, phones/internet bills, wages, buying supplies. And there's no such thing as a day off when you own a business. you live it, breath it, dream it (and the occassional nightmares!). It's something that can/will kill your social life during the high season. Have to agree with most people and DON'T buy the cheap stuff, it breaks down more and will ended up costing more in repairs and lost of use.

It's a blast if you love a challenge.

Good luck if you decide to go with it.

• Like 1

It depend how the restaurant run....and the quality of the food. The most important is the location. Just look at Khun Mor kway teow at Nimman, and some restaurant around that area, they are doing good!

Somehow, investing in Chiang Mai is always a risks. The pricing must be very competitive!

Edited by sunnyhor

Somehow, investing in Chiang Mai is always a risks. The pricing must be very competitive!

Seems to me that those who try to compete on price are the first to fail. Two a penny.

Those restaurants that succeed typically have something unique about their product and maintain a high level of quality. They then charge a premium price for it. It can take a couple of years to build up the kind of clientele and reputation needed for a really profitable business here. So many don't have the cash to go the distance!