Russian Tourist Electrocuted In Phuket Resort Pool

webfact

I think its time for an "international travel warning" to tourist about the very likely risk of being electrocuted in Thailand, anywhere in Thailand, then then they might get off arse and do something, because clearly they dont like travel warnings

• Like 1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sad story, i hope other hotel owners are reading this, and taking appropriate action !

yes sad indeed but i doubt if it will hit a nerve with the rich thai owners ,,if this happened in the us or uk massive legal payments would be won for the family left behind ..thais dont give a fxxxx. cheers

I see we are getting the usual knee jerk reaction to bad publicity, an island wide safety check of all resorts. Guess what, the safety checks, if indeed any are done will be done by the same guys who do these cowboy installations in the first place, so of course everything will get a clean bill of health.

Again another misleading headline for a tragic event. All over the island there are potentially dangerous cables hanging down quite low & touching the ground in some cases which is a public showing that electrical safety is not taken seriously. Then there is the problem of phantom electric when even all appliances are turned off power still flows through.

Isn't this the 3rd case in a year? At least one of which was a child? Ignorance or superstition is no excuse for unintentional manslaughter.

One guy was killed after standing on a metal plate at a Patong shopping mall last year...there's holes and things like this scattered all over Thailand..only takes one trailing wire to touch you at the wrong time..scarey!!!

its all the shoddy wiring that gets installed...

After years of installing electrical systems and upgrading electrical systems in Thailand nothing surprises me any more, I see bad electrical work all the time, if the earthing and bonding is done at all, it is generally done very badly with shoddy connections, I am sure that most are not tested and I hardly ever see an RCD (residual current device) for protection... R.I.P. and condolences to the family.

thai 5 star hotel is how much stars in the real world? no grounding in a swimming pool ... mhhhhh

In the last 4 months, we have Phuket 5 Star Resort news of: Aussie couple honeymooning in Phuket, whose room safe was emptied by hotel staff, yet hotel would not reimburse them; Explosion at chlorine mixing pump in resort, killing and wounding many; now this. Add to this the steady reports of farangs killed, assaulted, robbed, ripped off, and I wonder, with the new Thailand slogan of "Miracle Thailand", is the miracle that anyone would even go to Phuket? Who is it that gives these places the 5 stars, do they do that themselves? Or do they get 5 stars because they charge really high prices for rooms, food, etc?

RIP sad.png

Have heard often that Thai electricity is different - doesn't need grounding.

Looking for a job? You could be an electrical engineering inspector.

Just think of the Tea money you could make you could just show them your volt meter and hold your hat out.

Do you happen know whether Thai volts are the same as western volts? rolleyes.gif

For the record, even Wiki can get this one right.

A volt is a volt is a volt EVERYWHERE.

Thank you Alessandro Volta. ( Who didn't invent the dance.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volt

And yes to the 12v ONLY lighting for pools.

And the 220v to 12v converter must be 6-10 meters way in a building,

1 meter up or higher, not in a box on the ground pool side wet areas.

Edited by animatic

thai 5 star hotel is how much stars in the real world? no grounding in a swimming pool ... mhhhhh

In the last 4 months, we have Phuket 5 Star Resort news of: Aussie couple honeymooning in Phuket, whose room safe was emptied by hotel staff, yet hotel would not reimburse them; Explosion at chlorine mixing pump in resort, killing and wounding many; now this. Add to this the steady reports of farangs killed, assaulted, robbed, ripped off, and I wonder, with the new Thailand slogan of "Miracle Thailand", is the miracle that anyone would even go to Phuket? Who is it that gives these places the 5 stars, do they do that themselves? Or do they get 5 stars because they charge really high prices for rooms, food, etc?

Look, Thaimat, you and the other "another reason not to go to Phuket crowd" can have at it, knock yourselves out with those posts but at least get your facts straight when bashing Phuket. On top of that, you and that crowd are welcome to stay away.

-Aussie couple whose safe was burgled, NOT a 5 Star Resort

-Chlorine explosion at Phuket Orchid, NOT a 5 Star Resort, 3 Star AT BEST

-Dewa might call itself 5 Star, but myself having been there would rate it 4 Star AT BEST, probably more like a 3 Star

Look, Thaimat, you and the other "another reason not to go to Phuket crowd" can have at it, knock yourselves out with those posts but at least get your facts straight when bashing Phuket. On top of that, you and that crowd are welcome to stay away.

-Dewa might call itself 5 Star, but myself having been there would rate it 4 Star AT BEST, probably more like a 3 Star

So in fact you are saying that Phuket is over rated?

Another reason not to go to Phuket .

So in fact you are saying that Phuket is over rated?

Another reason not to go to Phuket .

No, and it's not polite to put words in people's mouths.

What I said was his post was incorect as it starts out saying all these things happened at 5 Star Resorts. WRONG.

And may I state again, for you "another reason not to go to Phuket" crowd, feel free to stay away, don't need more tourist whingers here.

"A recent study conducted by the National Coroners Information System (NCIS) in Australia has revealed three-hundred and twenty-one (321) closed case fatalities (and at least 39 case fatalities still under coronial investigation) that had been reported to Australian coroners where a person died from electrocution between July 2000 and October 2011."

Chill out guys. This kind of thing happens everywhere. 360 deaths in super safe OZ with only 22 million people. Thailand's population is three times that. So a thousand deaths a year could be expected and Thailand would be no worse than Ozzie.

'nuff said

~

Agree with your assessment that things like this happen all over the world, including the socalled civilized world.

But your math is a bit of, 360 deaths in 11 years with 22 mio inhabitants does not equal 1,000 deaths in one year with 70 mio inhabitants.

Edited by stevenl

Everyone should be aware that your entire building can be properly earth-grounded with earth-grounded receptacles and you can still get zapped by purchasing power-strip/extension-cords that DO NOT HAVE the earth-ground continued through to its receptacles.

In the states, many homeowners have these outlet testers for peace of mind. I brought several with me, however I'll need to crack them open and make some adjustments for the higher voltage here. I haven't seen them for sale here, not even at Zeer Rangsit where they seem to have a wide assortment of electricial testing tools. They look like this:

image_17669.jpg

They even have a little button on them which allows you to test the GFCI breaker upstream (if there is one).

Has anyone seen a Ground Fault Isolator (GFI) in use in Thailand? Maybe the import duties are too steep for such an unessential item. Ever check the prices of smoke detectors at Home-Pro?

I've looked but haven't seen any. I've noticed references to a "safe-t-cut" here, which I thought might be a GFCI, but after a little investigation these look like ordinary load center circuit breakers.

at a motel somewhere in Thailand

Well at least they taped it huh.png

Would somebody please tell me what is the fascination with electrical tape here? I've tried to introduce some of the handymen here to wire nuts (still not perfect but infinitely better than tape) but they think that tape is the ultimate solution in making good connections.

I am sad to hear of this event and posting...as a member of FairTex Sports Club here in Pattaya, just yesterday an open underwater light was being replaced..the case open..wires dangling as the case was suspending on pool side curb..no one in sight as it was raining...often the pool maintenace will replace these lamps while swimmers do their laps. I knew the grounding is working as this was not the first case I have seen projects just stopped as if Thai's thought is... "I will do this tomorrow or next week when I get the new lamp" why should I get my hands wet in replacing unit with no new lamp...if I leave it this way the tourist that swim will see that I DO GOOD MAINTENANCE AND HAVE THE SITUATION UNDER CONTROL..no worry... problem will be fixed.

FYI I will print this article out and give it to the front desk at Hotel whom does understand english and physically take them to the pool and see if the lamp is still under repair..may not go anywhere but my consious will be at ease that I DID notify the establishment that they must follow up on their work...open fix and replace...not leave open to the guest whom are scared to see this unfinished project.

After years of installing electrical systems and upgrading electrical systems in Thailand nothing surprises me any more, I see bad electrical work all the time, if the earthing and bonding is done at all, it is generally done very badly with shoddy connections, I am sure that most are not tested and I hardly ever see an RCD (residual current device) for protection... R.I.P. and condolences to the family.

I have seen nothing which compares to the shoddy workmanship as regards electrical installations as here in Thailand and I have worked in many third world countries. To give a few examples: -

- At the distribution board, black being live and grey being neutral, no earth.

- At another house, black being neutral and grey being live, no earth.

- Various wire colours used throughout the house and interchanged as and when.

- No earth on water heating appliances, when it states, "This appliance must be earthed".

- Three pin socket outlets installed but with no earth connection behind them.

- Aircon unit wired direct from the supply from the external power pole without going through the distribution board.

- Wires just twisted together behind sockets/in the roof etc which result in overheating/burning out.

- Washing machines in a laundry with a wet floor, fed from two pin extension outlets.

- The earth pin being cut off on an appliance which needs earthing.

- Many switched outlets are switched on the neutral thereby making the appliance still live even when switched off.

This place is a death trap for the unsuspecting tourist as far as electrics in general are concerned.

This story has a different account of what happened in some Russian media. He was electrocuted helping his kid out of the pool and the restaurant manager, who is referred to as a barman, was first in the pool helping his kid but lost consciousness.

http://translate.google.co.th/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=ru&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://lenta.ru/news/2012/03/09/pool/

We have inspected and tested the installations today and will be submitting a formal report to the hotel's owners and directors shortly.

Idle speculation is not helpful and frankly disrespectful to the bereaved.

Please avoid giving advice unless you are sure of your facts. For example, lighting within 1.5m of a pool must must be 12V, supplied from a safety isolation transformer and NO GROUND. The transformer should located at least 3m away. This is required by the Thai EIT code and is very similar to the international standard, IEC60364.

If anyone has any specific questions or concerns, I will respond to direct enquiries at (Moderators, this being a safety issue, please permit this)

Edited by LivinginKata
email removed as per forum rules

Everyone should be aware that your entire building can be properly earth-grounded with earth-grounded receptacles and you can still get zapped by purchasing power-strip/extension-cords that DO NOT HAVE the earth-ground continued through to its receptacles.

In the states, many homeowners have these outlet testers for peace of mind. I brought several with me, however I'll need to crack them open and make some adjustments for the higher voltage here. I haven't seen them for sale here, not even at Zeer Rangsit where they seem to have a wide assortment of electricial testing tools. They look like this:

image_17669.jpg

They even have a little button on them which allows you to test the GFCI breaker upstream (if there is one).

Has anyone seen a Ground Fault Isolator (GFI) in use in Thailand? Maybe the import duties are too steep for such an unessential item. Ever check the prices of smoke detectors at Home-Pro?

I've looked but haven't seen any. I've noticed references to a "safe-t-cut" here, which I thought might be a GFCI, but after a little investigation these look like ordinary load center circuit breakers.

Safe-T-Cut devices are available here and could save your life. They operate as a ELCB (RCD, RCBO). ELCB breakers can also be installed on individual final circuits at the breaker box. The Thai EIT code requires these for all water heaters and to protect equipment in wet locations. IEC 60364 (BS7671:2008) also require these on all circuits supplying socket outlets. Note the trip current must be 30mA or less.

image_17669.jpg

Safe-T-Cut devices are available here and could save your life. They operate as a ELCB (RCD, RCBO). ELCB breakers can also be installed on individual final circuits at the breaker box. The Thai EIT code requires these for all water heaters and to protect equipment in wet locations. IEC 60364 (BS7671:2008) also require these on all circuits supplying socket outlets. Note the trip current must be 30mA or less.

Unfortunately what the Thai EIT code requires and what is actually done are as far away from each other here as the police force are away from honesty.

Recently tested two different 3 pin switched muti-socket extensions and one had the live as right pin facing whereas the other was left pin facing, not helpful as the appliance could still be live when switched off. Different colour coded wires available which makes life hard, and the little adaptors which take a 3 pin plug and convert it to a 2 pin means that an appliance which should be earthed is not.........and so on.

Regulations mean nothing unless they are taught, monitored and enforced and certification should be required from all persons working in this field. Until then TIT, and these sad events will continue.

No disrespect meant the deceased and condolences to his family, and I hope the hotel employee fully recovers.

"A recent study conducted by the National Coroners Information System (NCIS) in Australia has revealed three-hundred and twenty-one (321) closed case fatalities (and at least 39 case fatalities still under coronial investigation) that had been reported to Australian coroners where a person died from electrocution between July 2000 and October 2011."

Chill out guys. This kind of thing happens everywhere. 360 deaths in super safe OZ with only 22 million people. Thailand's population is three times that. So a thousand deaths a year could be expected and Thailand would be no worse than Ozzie.

'nuff said

~

Except the figures you quoted for Australia are for 11 years, not 1.

We have inspected and tested the installations today and will be submitting a formal report to the hotel's owners and directors shortly.

Idle speculation is not helpful and frankly disrespectful to the bereaved.

Please avoid giving advice unless you are sure of your facts. For example, lighting within 1.5m of a pool must must be 12V, supplied from a safety isolation transformer and NO GROUND. The transformer should located at least 3m away. This is required by the Thai EIT code and is very similar to the international standard, IEC60364.

If anyone has any specific questions or concerns, I will respond to direct enquiries at (Moderators, this being a safety issue, please permit this)

I'd like to know ( as would the deceased family members) who is at fault and how are they going to compensate for this tragedy? I'm sick and tired of hearing " bad luck" and it's time someone or some company stands up and takes the fault/blame, but will this happen? The skeptic in me says no ,

RIP to the deceased as he did nothing wrong except touching something that should have been safe. Shame on the resort and their "electrician".

The Thai EIT code is actually pretty good though not as rigorous as the international IEC60364 standard and the individual country codes which are harmonised with that.

Problem is that you very rarely see a copy of the code and most Thai "electricians" are ignorant of their own country's code and the basic physics behind it.

In my opinion, things will not improve until:-

1) All electricians are registered, having passed tests on their knowledge of the EIT code.

2) All installations are independently inspected, tested and certified as a condition of compulsory insurance.

Contact me directly if you have any specific queries.