Change Type Of Visa?

Here are the facts: I moved to Bangkok 2 weeks ago, accompanying my husband whose been relocated here by his company. He's obviously got a type 'B' visa. I'm here as the 'spouse', therefore I've got a type 'O' visa. Now, as lovely as it is to enjoy the life of a 'Lady of leisure'-it ain't the life for me. So I've got an interview lined up for tomorrow, for a job in a International Kindergarten. They know I've currently not got a 'B' visa. Questions: 1. How difficult will it be to change the type of Visa? I've heard that the Thai authorities don't really like doing it at all, but that under my circumstances(here because of husband's work) it should be possible. 2. Once my Visa has been changed to a type 'B', what happens if the job doesn't work out and I want to quit/get sacked? Obviously I would want to stay in the country to be with my hubby, so will I have trouble doing so? Would I have to re-apply for a 'O' visa, and if so would I be likely to face any problems, e.g. are the the Thai authorities likely think I'm messing them about? And finally... 3. How long would I have to wait for the work permit to come through? A colleague of my husband's waited 6 Months(!) for his- it wasn't that much of a problem, as he was still allowed to work without it due to cirumstance. However, I know that I would have to wait for the permit to come through first. What's the average waiting time? Thanks for any advice you can give!!! :o

I would keep the O visa and extend it on a yearly basis to match your husband (I assume that is what he will do). You can obtain a work permit on an O visa (although school may not know it). The wait for work permit varies as it is a local area function but do not believe it is too long in Bangkok - others should be able to provide better information.

Whatever you do it is not that hard - you just have to be prepared to copy that extra paper or whatever and keep cool.

• 5 weeks later...

Can anyone also offer some advice on this situation:

I have a dependent visa on my husband who is relocated here in Thailand. I can choose to continue working for my company, based outside Thailand, as my work is based regionally but I can use the office space of my local subsidiary. I receive my income outside Thailand.

In this case, do I need a work permit and change my visa type?

If I do, do I have to meet the minimum income requirement based on my nationality? Will it be difficult and costly?

Please help. Thanks.