Corolla Ke-70 Hoses

I had the very worn out belts replaced on my ancient Corolla (KE-70) the other day, and the mechanic suggested changing the old water hoses as well. I didn't realize that he did not in fact have access to correct hoses (as in those pre-made to fit the specific car), but just bought a length of soft hose and bent it himself to fit in.

As I'm sure will surprise no one, this led to a kinked hose, with presumably a reduction in flow (like when you kink your garden hose while watering the rhododendrons). I complained about this quite a bit when picking up the car, but he said that correct hoses simply weren't available. So, I took the car in to another shop with some English spoken, and they ordered (supposedly) the correct hoses from Bangkok.

So, now after a few days wait, the hoses are in, and I'll go tomorrow to have them installed. Has anyone had any experience with replacing hoses on very old cars? Is it commonplace to try to find the correctly shaped hose or just bend a piece of hose material DIY?

I have to admit that I drove the car on a hour long journey and back since the kinked hose was installed, and it performed fine - did not perceive anything irregular in the temperature gauge. Just feel frustrated - as my dad always said 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.. I realize hoses are a maintenance item, but if you can't find the original specification, would be better to try to soldier on with the worn original, no?

I think it always best to get preformed hoses (Gates if available!) but whether or not it is better to replace the old hose with a new one that does not fit correctly depends on how bad the old hose is, how poorly the generic hose fits, where you are, how long it will take to get the correct hoses, etc. There are generic hoses that work pretty well, and are designed to flex without kinking.

I would make sure the new hoses look correct BEFORE you let the new guy touch the car. Were it me, I would have ordered new OEM style clamps with the hoses as yours have probably been replaced with aftermarket clamps. Did the mechanic at least make sure the hose connections are clean and smoothed prior to installing the new hoses? You might want to check the belts and make sure they are correct as well, and that they’re not too tight.

One nice thing about buying auto parts in Thailand is that OEM parts are relatively inexpensive. Most are fine, but some of the aftermarket parts here are real crap.

...I would have ordered new OEM style clamps with the hoses as yours have probably been replaced with aftermarket clamps. Did the mechanic at least make sure the hose connections are clean and smoothed prior to installing the new hoses? You might want to check the belts and make sure they are correct as well, and that they’re not too tight.

I'm not a mechanic, nor did I stand over him all the while he was working, so I have no way of knowing about those things.

But as of today I got a new lower hose from the second shop installed - it was a hose they had in stock, not from a KE-70, but from a KE-30! It did end up fitting, more or less - the mechanic at first weren't sure, but when finished they said it was good and was pretty much 'the same' as a KE-70 hose. The upper hose looks fine as is so won't be changing it.

Drove around all day today in the horrible heat at low in-town stop-and-go speeds and the needle never budged, so I guess all is in order.

I am certainly no mechanic but have at least twice replaced punctured hoses on my old Nissan NV with "cut to fit" hoses that i managed to manafacture from a length of spare hose that i keep in the car and i must say, so far, so good