Why Move To Bangkok?

ivan96822

"Why Move To Bangkok?Why leave the comforts of the western world for Thailand"

Why Move To Bangkok? Why indeed.

Are you inviting replies regarding moving to Bangkok, or Thailand….Bangkok is not representative, in my opinion of the rest of Thailand?

"Why Move To Bangkok?Why leave the comforts of the western world for Thailand"

Why Move To Bangkok? Why indeed.

Are you inviting replies regarding moving to Bangkok, or Thailand….Bangkok is not representative, in my opinion of the rest of Thailand?

Either one....Despite its issues, I thoroughly enjoy Bangkok, but would be interested in hearing from anyone with an opinion of living in LOS.

Most people here don't move to Bangkok (or Thailand) for that matter. Its just a place they come and spend some time. This includes me. 15+ years experience of Thailand makes me not want to move here, become a citizen, invest here or make my life here. I prefer my home country for most things. Why do I keep coming back? Kids. Otherwise I would have moved on to another country (Vietnam looks very inviting). So I rent a cheap condo to keep all of my stuff in when I am not here.

Good things are the girls, cheap food, plenty of places to visit (national parks, waterfalls, beaches, temples, mountains, etc), warm climate, bars, cheap hotels, good infrastructure, 7/11s everywhere, fairly modern, etc.

Were you not the guy who posted a thread about meeting and making decent friends here?

Edited by MaiChai

I'd much rather live back in Auckland than in Bangkok

However, I live in Isaan, not Bangkok :)

Actually, country for country, I'd probably still prefer NZ.

However, to live in NZ, I need to work hard to "get ahead of the curve" soto speak, while in Thailand I can have a very relaxing job and still be well ahead of 90% of the local population.

Likewise, in NZ I'm just another face, however here I'm made to feel special because I'm one of the few white faces in town. Likewise, I can be a teacher here without needing to spend a year at teaching college first, and I'm made to feel special here because I'm a teacher in a small town where almost every kid between 12 and 18 is one of my students, gives me the warm fuzzies and what not :)

I hate Bangkok,a very dirty smelly place.I get headaches and sore eyes within an hour of arriving there.The people arent very friendly,possibly due to how busy the place is or they think they are above everybody else.The farangs who work/live there seem to be a strange breed,could be the pollution making them go gaga lol.

Overall way down on my list of places to even visit never mind live there

I don't like Bangkok, it's got big city syndrome. That's not to say that there is nothing to see or do but it's not for me. Two weeks in BKK would never figure as an holiday option for me.

On an ex-pat package though, well that would be different, I would rather be in BKK than a lot of other places. Horses for courses.

When I used to holiday to Thailand I would arrive at Swampy and get a taxi the hell out. Now I live and work in the outskirts I can honestly say I love BKK.

I would not want to live in the centre, but with the great transport links, you don't really need to, just pop in when the fancy takes me. I find the local people where I am very friendly, I suspect the centre suffers like most tourist areas of Thailand, the more tourists the less friendly the people.

Bangkok has pretty much everything any other large city in the world has, it also has many of the same short comings… for me the positives out weigh the negatives.

I like Bangkok because I perhaps blend in there.

Some people think people in Bangkok are rude, well that’s the same as any city.

In Bangkok I don’t expect westerners to roll down the street singing ‘zippedy-do-dah’

Westerners do not stand out and are not the center of attention that they may be in less populated areas.

Westerners are not made to feel special when in our home countries we are simply insignificant (this might be why some don’t like Bangkok).

I like Bangkok because its more normal for me than other place in Thailand.

People don’t stare at me as much in Bangkok.

I don’t get high school students calling out to me.

I don’t get laborers asking me to meet their daughters.

In Bangkok we are nothing more than normal.

In Bangkok I feel I am treated equally with no more or less indifference than Thai’s around me.

I don’t want to be more special or considered worse than those around me depending on how much money I show off.

Life in Bangkok is simply more normal for me than I could imagine anywhere else in Thailand.

I have many excellent Thai friends in Bangkok who are well educated and view me as an equal, I’m not sure how successful I could be in finding similar friends outside of Bangkok.

Life of course is different for everyone… For me, life in Bangkok is as normal as I need it to be.

Very good response....No matter where in the world you go, there you are. I have felt the same sentiments in Los Angeles, Honolulu, Tijuana, Fort Lauderdale, ________________________, etc. etc. etc.

Most people here don't move to Bangkok (or Thailand) for that matter. Its just a place they come and spend some time. This includes me. 15+ years experience of Thailand makes me not want to move here, become a citizen, invest here or make my life here. I prefer my home country for most things. Why do I keep coming back? Kids. Otherwise I would have moved on to another country (Vietnam looks very inviting). So I rent a cheap condo to keep all of my stuff in when I am not here.

Good things are the girls, cheap food, plenty of places to visit (national parks, waterfalls, beaches, temples, mountains, etc), warm climate, bars, cheap hotels, good infrastructure, 7/11s everywhere, fairly modern, etc.

Were you not the guy who posted a thread about meeting and making decent friends here?

I am the last person that would be looking for friends. In short, no, I was not the person who posted a thread about meeting and making decent friends here.