EU Bans Instant Noodles From Thailand

george

EU bans instant noodles from Thailand

BANGKOK: -- The European Union (EU) has temporarily banned imports of instant noodles from Thailand after radiated seasoning packs were found, according to a senior Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry official.

Thai instant noodle products shipped to the EU were recently quarantined for a thorough re-inspection after an initial product check-up found that seasoning packs enclosed were radiated without prior notifications to importers, Deputy Director of the Office of Agricultural Product Standard and National Food Somchai Charnnarongkul told journalists here on Tuesday.

"The European authorities say the Thai products need to be re-inspected to find out whether the radiation exceeds an accepted level of the international food safety standards. If so, they must be totally destroyed or returned to Thailand", he noted.

EU officials had also travelled to Thailand to inspect the safety of Thai instant noodle plants and food radiation processes--offered only by the Office of Atomic Energy for Peace currently, he disclosed.

"I've been informed that the European authorities were initially dissatisfied with the office's food radiation processes, claiming that it was considered sub-standard in hygienic criteria and at risk of contaminations," said Mr. Somchai.

"The European experts also suggested that the office rely on computerized systems, rather than manual records of the radiation processes," he added.

Thailand will improve the processes as required and report it to the EU authorities as soon as possible, according to the senior official.

In the meantime, the EU has temporarily imposed an import ban on the Thai instant noodle products.

--TNA 2005-12-14

EU officials had also travelled to Thailand to inspect the safety of Thai instant noodle plants and food radiation processes--offered only by the Office of Atomic Energy for Peace currently, he disclosed.

Are they the same as the spaghetti bushes they have in Italy?

Are they the same as the spaghetti bushes they have in Italy?

:o of course, pad pak mama...

"The European authorities say the Thai products need to be re-inspected to find out whether the radiation exceeds an accepted level of the international food safety standards. If so, they must be totally destroyed or returned to Thailand", he noted.

dissatisfied with the office's food radiation processes, claiming that it was considered sub-standard in hygienic criteria and at risk of contaminations," said Mr. Somchai.

"The European experts also suggested that the office rely on computerized systems, rather than manual records of the radiation processes," he added.

Now I know why I have that soft glow about me!

I too was wondering where my hair went

so, they can't even safely do ma-ma noodles.... :o

well then, by all means, let's give them a much bigger nuclear tasking to take on:

:D

27-9-05

The government yesterday revived its controversial nuclear power project, claiming it would provide a “cheaper” energy solution.

However, activists continue to argue that taking social and environmental costs into account, nuclear energy could be the most expensive option, especially in terms of the disposing of radioactive waste and of decomissioning projects.

Suriya Jungrungreangkit, industry minister and chairman of the National Committee on Atomic Energy for Peace, ordered the Office of Atomic Energy for Peace (OAEP) to review the nuclear power project as well as conduct a public-relations programme focussing on nuclear power as a cheaper alternativerather than concentrating on its safety as it has in the past.

"yeah.... safety... who needs it? just a waste of time and money"

Ok can someone clarify what radiating means??  Why do they need to have radiated food??

Radioactive (nuclear) radiation is a controversial, yet internationally accepted method to preserve foods, it kills germs and bacteria.

Since acceptable levels for human consumption are pretty low, it's easy to get it wrong, specially when administered and supervised manually. Also, if the surroundings during processing are not sterile, the object of the exercise may be defeated.

Then again, as mentioned before, EU- bureaucrats have a reputation for imposing absurd impractical standards. :o

So the loads of packets i've got in my cupboards - do i have to throw them away??

I wonder how many ex-pat teachers could survive on their salaries without instant noodles. This could be a major catastrophy. :D

As an expat teacher in Thailand (living in my cardboard box, sipping on noodles) I feel compelled to inform you that the word is 'catastrophe.'

No charge.

:o:D

"Steven"

Ok can someone clarify what radiating means??  Why do they need to have radiated food??

Radioactive (nuclear) radiation is a controversial, yet internationally accepted method to preserve foods, it kills germs and bacteria.

radioactive sources are used in many industries - many of your drinks including beer are probably subjectet to radiation in the final stages to check the level in the container

I am not clear what the problem is.

At first it talks about too much radiation.

Then it talks about hygiene concerns.

I thought the radiation was to kill bacteria, to ensure hygiene.

A Google search on Radiation Hygiene will tell you all you need to know.

Edited by astral

All this is very worrying concearning my fellow students/ and other young & poor people back in Finland. Yamyam noodles are even cheaper than macaroni and ketchup. And taste better too.. Now I study in Thailand so I can eat steaks and stuff.... Still a fan of tomyam Yam Yams. :o:D:D

Edited by sonnyJ

The main issue would be the handling of the food after the irradiation process. The irradiation process kills the bacteria but proper handling (packaging) afterwards must be handled in a sterile way or else they will reintroduce germs/bacteria into the items, in effect defeating the sterilization process. So I suspect the Eu is not satisfied with the post-processing and labeling.

Very detailed and non-technical explanations can be found at CDC

One of my projects at CMU is to design and develop a particle accelerator for X-ray and electron beam food irradiation for the Thai government in order to reduce reliance on imported equipment (self-sufficiency). Most irradiation currently is done by using highly radiactive materials such as Cobolt 60 or Cesium 137. These are very dangerous materials and have to be handled by special techniques. They emit radiation all the time and as such potential for accidents are high. Using a particle accelerator the radiation is better controlled (focused) and only there when the machine is turned on. Not any different from a hospital x-ray machine except for the delivery mechanism.

Edited by tywais

Thai instant noodle products shipped to the EU were recently quarantined for a thorough re-inspection after an initial product check-up found that seasoning packs enclosed were radiated without prior notifications to importers

Don't worry. The EU bureaucrats are mental. Eat your noodles!

M'm

Maybe bureaucrats are always terrible, but in this case, was it really the bureaucrats who inspected the noodles?

So the loads of packets i've got in my cupboards - do i have to throw them away??

Don't worry. The EU bureaucrats are mental. Eat your noodles!

Mental or just hopping mad? Don't forget that Thai food imports are on amber alert to EU after their top food inspector came to Thailand and was categorically told by the govt. there was no avian flu in Thailand, announced it to the world one day, left for Euroland and the next day the Thai govt. announced that somebody had just died from avian flu and infected birds had been found in over 10 provinces, but they just didn't want to unnecessarily frighten the public! :o

Then the following year, EU inspections found that Thai prawns were swimming in resisual antibiotics and imports of Thai fruit was almost banned following the great Isaan GM papaya scandal. And that's not even mentioning the heavy metals in the tomato ketchup and other unspeakables in the soy sauce. :D

So, I think they might have good reason to be a tad insecure about what might turn up next in the glow-in-the dark noodle packets. :D