Selling A Big Bike In Thailand, What A Joke..

roban

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold two "big bikes" both 750 cc twins. I've had people showing up making a test ride, but realized that it was too big for them. Then I sold it to a sailor man who sent me the amount on my bank account without finkcnu knowing me.

I then sent him the bike to the south. Wish I'd still have it though..............jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

• There really are a lot of dick heads out there who think they can make stupid offers. Part of the process of selling i suppose just ignore the obvious wanke_rs.

if i thought someone was coming down just for entertainment to get a free test drive i would ask him to leave the full cash amount + his passport as security

not many people carry say 200,000 thb in the pocket if they arent seriousy considering buying

also ,if he crashes on the test drive ,i would call that a sale and he would have a new bike to fix :)

• 6 months later...

I know there are some <deleted> about. When i sold my old scooter recently one guy from Chiang Mai rang me (i'm in Pattaya) with a silly offer and wanted me to send the bike to him there !! If the bike is in good condition and priced fairly it will sell without dealing with any of these plonkers.

"Ahh forgot, and the two idiots guys, who wanted to pay with Paypal (but never seen the bike), and I should send the bike by post, somewhere to the sticks"

It's a scam. Some a$$hole tried that one on me when I sold my ST1100 back in Oz. He worked on an outback station and the phones are down....can only email....but he will take my word the bike is in great condition.....he will send a courier to pick it up......pay by Paypal. What he didn't say was he would do a charge back the minute the bike was in the couriers truck!

"Ahh forgot, and the two idiots guys, who wanted to pay with Paypal (but never seen the bike), and I should send the bike by post, somewhere to the sticks"

It's a scam. Some a$$hole tried that one on me when I sold my ST1100 back in Oz. He worked on an outback station and the phones are down....can only email....but he will take my word the bike is in great condition.....he will send a courier to pick it up......pay by Paypal. What he didn't say was he would do a charge back the minute the bike was in the couriers truck!

Ive sold and sent a couple of bikes where i have never met the buyer face to face. But always use bank deposits into my bank.

Those people that request paypal and couriers are crooks though. I always ask them, "why not just send the check with the courier then?". Im still tying to figure out a way to do a reverse scam on the scammers.

Im trying to sell my bike in craiglist right now and 8 out of 10 replies are all scams.

Edited by KRS1

A few years back i was selling a bike. Yam 250, a guy calls & says he is driving from Singapore to Bangkok so could i get on the ferry & meet him at Donsak pier for him to check it out.

As i wasn't busy then i said ok & duly went at the agreed time.

The guy turned up, checked the bike over & had a ride around the car park. He then gave me 10,000 Baht deposit (20% of the price) & said he would call to arrange payment & collection.

Never heard from him again!! 10K to me, thank you very much.

I've bought and sold a lot of bikes in Thailand. Usually bought from friends or friends of friends and have usually sold to people I know or friends of people I know and have to say that I've never suffered any drama on a bike sale or purchase here in Thailand. I rather think ones ATTITUDE has a lot to do with the success or failure of a transaction... Perhaps rather than blaming others the OP should take a step back and see if there's not something he could do to make these transactions go more smoothly? Just sayin... wai.gif

+1

I agree with you.

I did reply to the bike that he has tried to sell more than once on more than 1 forum.

It was one I was interested in but I thought his price was too high and parts would be vwery problematic to get

He was out of the area and I want a few answers before I made the nearly 750 km trip to see it

I got attitude reply and moved on to another bike I just got a few days ago. Drove 1650 km to pick it up, owner was very friendly and helpful to load it in my truck. Got dinner for me and we traded numbers and Emails to go riding together soon up north.

ATTITUDE is everything and with many bikes out there to buy. Bike are just that, a bike, with a value. The dozen or so I have sold on Thai visa always sold with the first looker. I price them right, Give too much information, and answer questions honestly.

Anyone do this and I am sure they will sell quickly too

I've bought and sold a lot of bikes in Thailand. Usually bought from friends or friends of friends and have usually sold to people I know or friends of people I know and have to say that I've never suffered any drama on a bike sale or purchase here in Thailand. I rather think ones ATTITUDE has a lot to do with the success or failure of a transaction... Perhaps rather than blaming others the OP should take a step back and see if there's not something he could do to make these transactions go more smoothly? Just sayin... wai.gif

+1

I agree with you.

I did reply to the bike that he has tried to sell more than once on more than 1 forum.

It was one I was interested in but I thought his price was too high and parts would be vwery problematic to get

He was out of the area and I want a few answers before I made the nearly 750 km trip to see it

I got attitude reply and moved on to another bike I just got a few days ago. Drove 1650 km to pick it up, owner was very friendly and helpful to load it in my truck. Got dinner for me and we traded numbers and Emails to go riding together soon up north.

ATTITUDE is everything and with many bikes out there to buy. Bike are just that, a bike, with a value. The dozen or so I have sold on Thai visa always sold with the first looker. I price them right, Give too much information, and answer questions honestly.

still it is not very meaningful to pay more or sell for less for a good attitude man.

If i want to sell a bike and if someone meet the price, i just sell it, just want to sell or buy the bike not the owner or purchaser and if the price is met, i just go for it.

If i want to buy or sell a second hand bike, i want to buy or sell it to Thai people if possible like i did when i bought my cbr250 so there are no concerns about any attitude biggrin.png

i think selling/buying a second hand bike among farang is a joke and prices are inflated.

What is the reason/importance to buy a bike only from a farang, i really do not understand?

Edited by loserlazer

+1

I agree with you.

still it is not very meaningful to pay more or sell for less for a good attitude man.

If i want to sell a bike and if someone meet the price, i just sell it, just want to sell or buy the bike not the owner or purchaser and if the price is met, i just go for it.

If i want to buy or sell a second hand bike, i want to buy or sell it to Thai people if possible like i did when i bought my cbr250 so there are no concerns about any attitude biggrin.png

i think selling/buying a second hand bike among farang is a joke and prices are inflated.

What is the reason/importance to buy a bike only from a farang, i really do not understand?

Generally speaking farangs tend to maintain and service their bikes and usually tell you upfront if the bike has a green book etc. They are usually more trustworthy to buy from than a Thai plus there is less chance of a language problem too.

However at the end of the day it is down to the buyer and seller and going back to Roman times the term caveat emptor still applies.

Let the buyer beware.

I'm a new to buying and selling bikes in Thailand. Bought a Honda Wave CZi in 2008 and sold it on 2011.

I just bought a used CBR 150 in Korat.

I sold and bought both bikes via the thaivisa classifieds.

The seller in Korat was a decent guy, the bike was priced fairly and doing business was drama free. I rode the bus to Korat and drove the bike home, fun ride Korat to Pattaya.

My onl;y regret is not following Big Bike BKK's advise to the letter and having the residence letter with me when I paid the seller at the Korat DLT.

But it all worked out, the greenbook is now in my name and I should have the new plate... well, some day :)

I have sold to Thai and Farang alike, never had a problem, if you are honest describe the item correctly and ask a decent price all will be good, with the things I have sold I made it perfectly clear that the money must be in my account before they can take the item, in over words they come to see, they like and want to buy, a price is agreed, we go to my bank, the money is paid in, I check it is there, the bike or car etc is there's, cash is the only thing that is acceptable.

I am now selling my CBR250R as money is needed for other things, again I don't expect any problems, although you do get some strange replies from people who I guess are bored and try to be funny!!

Edited by kawapower

+1

I agree with you.

Generally speaking farangs tend to maintain and service their bikes and usually tell you upfront if the bike has a green book etc. They are usually more trustworthy to buy from than a Thai plus there is less chance of a language problem too.

However at the end of the day it is down to the buyer and seller and going back to Roman times the term caveat emptor still applies.

Let the buyer beware.

i do not think so.

I am sorry man but this is a common misconception about the reliability of a farang and their well maintained and serviced bikes. I have seen many foreigners here cheating foreigners as well.

So, you mean Thai people are not trustworthy? or they do not have any brains to go to a periodical service? They do what we do and they look after their bikes better than us farang as money and goods are important for Thai people.

As a longtermer in Thailand, i found Thai people more honest - except the ones in Pattaya, Phuket or major touristic areas where they got degenerated by degenerated farang and their money.

Regarding the language barrier, money talks manbiggrin.png

go to DLT office, hand the money and get the bike. hahaha.

keep in mind as a rule of life, the more paranoid you are, the chance of finding trouble increases.whistling.gif

Edited by loserlazer

i do not think so.

I am sorry man but this is a common misconception about the reliability of a farang and their well maintained and serviced bikes. I have seen many foreigners here cheating foreigners as well.

So, you mean Thai people are not trustworthy? or they do not have any brains to go to a periodical service? They do what we do and they look after their bikes better than us farang as money and goods are important for Thai people.

As a longtermer in Thailand, i found Thai people more honest - except the ones in Pattaya, Phuket or major touristic areas where they got degenerated by degenerated farang and their money.

Regarding the language barrier, money talks manbiggrin.png

keep in mind as a rule of life, the more paranoid you are, the chance of finding trouble increases.whistling.gif

agree 100%

When I was selling a Ducati 1198S some time ago, we had a Thai guy who came to our office on an ancient Honda Wave which had no license plate and apparently he had no ID-card or drivers license with him asked if he could take it for a test ride...

He was strangely upset when we said no, he went walked back to his motorcycle and said he would come back with his drivers license and ID card... we never seen him again.

• Like 1

When I was selling a Ducati 1198S some time ago, we had a Thai guy who came to our office on an ancient Honda Wave which had no license plate and apparently he had no ID-card or drivers license with him asked if he could take it for a test ride...

He was strangely upset when we said no, he went walked back to his motorcycle and said he would come back with his drivers license and ID card... we never seen him again.

Thanks for sharing Richard. I had a good chuckle with your story. Most people weren't born yesterday :)

I know there are some <deleted> about. When i sold my old scooter recently one guy from Chiang Mai rang me (i'm in Pattaya) with a silly offer and wanted me to send the bike to him there !! If the bike is in good condition and priced fairly it will sell without dealing with any of these plonkers.

In fairness, sometimes a "silly" offer is accepted. The seller may be in desperate straits, needing to leave Thailand quickly and anxious to dispose of the item ASAP--which he of course wouldn't reveal. I've seen an asking price for an auto bargained down 50% by a sharp, merciless, and persuasive businesswoman in fact. Felt sorry for the seller, really; man almost cried, hardly knew what hit him, but in the end he took the cash.

Edited by JSixpack

It is not about Thai or farrang it is about buying a bike

In this case the OP was selling a bike for much more than it was worth

A old bike withlimited parts avalable and high price. All limit the potentail buyers. When I suggested the bike had not sold in several times he had it listed that maybe his price was high and he cam back with attitude. I stopped even trying to buy his bike.

Hello my XXX bike is so cool because it is mine so it sould sell for nearly what a new one would cost. Sorry no, I will get the new one

loserlaser

Posted 2012-09-28 14:10:06

i do not think so.

As a long termer in Thailand, i found Thai people more honest - except the ones in Pattaya, Phuket or major touristic areas where they got degenerated by degenerated farang and their money.

Regarding the language barrier, money talks man

keep in mind as a rule of life, the more paranoid you are, the chance of finding trouble increases.

I bought my 2005 Honda Phantom over 3 years ago for 55,000 baht from a farang down in Nakhon Si Thammarat complete with a green book, all the bills, receipts etc and the service book was up to date. Since then mine has been regularly serviced and the oil changed every 2,000 km.

In the village where I live there a 4 Phantoms and mine is the only one to be regularly serviced and maintained. The other 3 are Thai owned.

A friend of mine recently bought a 2006 Phantom from a Thai motorcycle “fixer upper” for 43,000 baht and in less than 6 weeks has had to pay out 20k + baht to get the engine rebuilt and the Honda dealer repairing it told him it had never really been maintained.

Can you show me where I said that Thai people were untrustworthy or don’t have the brains to get a bike serviced? I read my post several times but I can’t find it.

If you want to say it then say it but don’t put your words in my mouth.

I am also a long termer in Thailand, some 19 years now but I don’t shout about it.

When you say money talks at the DLT office, hand over the money and get the bike I will assume that you mean the buyer pays the seller at the DLT and nothing else.

After some 68 years of life in many countries I have usually found that soft talk, pleasant smiles and a good attitude get you a lot further than being paranoid and the chances of trouble finding you is far less.

How do you know the Thai "fixer upper" didn't aquire the bike from a falang ? a more likely senario in my opinion

I'm not making any comment about who looks after what better - it's a pointless argument, if you are going to buy a motorcycle or car for that matter it's not hard to work out if it's been looked after and I'd much less trust a dealer than a private seller, I know 2x bike dealers and they were both falang and both crooks, the Thai service shops I know of need to be kept an eye on too they tend to over price and make up repairs so I keep an eye on them with clear instructions only to do what I ask, two of the repair shops in Pattaya are already off my usable list after past experiences

loserlaser

i do not think so.

As a long termer in Thailand, i found Thai people more honest - except the ones in Pattaya, Phuket or major touristic areas where they got degenerated by degenerated farang and their money.

keep in mind as a rule of life, the more paranoid you are, the chance of finding trouble increases.

I bought my 2005 Honda Phantom over 3 years ago for 55,000 baht from a farang down in Nakhon Si Thammarat complete with a green book, all the bills, receipts etc and the service book was up to date. Since then mine has been regularly serviced and the oil changed every 2,000 km.

In the village where I live there a 4 Phantoms and mine is the only one to be regularly serviced and maintained. The other 3 are Thai owned.

A friend of mine recently bought a 2006 Phantom from a Thai motorcycle “fixer upper” for 43,000 baht and in less than 6 weeks has had to pay out 20k + baht to get the engine rebuilt and the Honda dealer repairing it told him it had never really been maintained.

Can you show me where I said that Thai people were untrustworthy or don’t have the brains to get a bike serviced? I read my post several times but I can’t find it.

I am also a long termer in Thailand, some 19 years now but I don’t shout about it.

When you say money talks at the DLT office, hand over the money and get the bike I will assume that you mean the buyer pays the seller at the DLT and nothing else.

After some 68 years of life in many countries I have usually found that soft talk, pleasant smiles and a good attitude get you a lot further than being paranoid and the chances of trouble finding you is far less.

'Generally speaking farangs tend to maintain and service their bikes'

'They are usually more trustworthy to buy from than a Thai'

These are where i got my comments. just read your post man.

And, i am not shouting about my time here. it is just to state the fact that i am not talking from my stomach about Thai people and i have some experience here. Our time in Thailand is not something we need to be proud of, right? As it is not for me. Besides, nobody knows the density level of our experiences over time. For some a lot interesting, for some nothing particular.

I am a straightforward guy and i say what i see so sorry if you got offended but by this way, i did not put words to your mouth just spoken honestly with you. This is what i think.

​And, your stories about your village and experience: you cannot generalize them to other villages in Thailand besides, you cannot even generalize your experiences as everybody is living a different life with different people on a different area.

Moreover, some get cheated some do not or some cheat some do not. That is life and it is not related with soft talk or pleasant smiles.

Regards and happy rides man.

Edited by loserlazer

I think when it comes to big bikes then Thais look after them as much as foreigners. My Thai friends take great pride in their bikes.

I sold a CBR400 recently, got idiot calls from Thais and foreigners, you can tell a tire kicker usually in the first minute, Had one guy from Hat Yai, who would call from different numbers, always saying he was coming the next day to specially look at my bike all the way from Hat Yai - yeah if it was a rare or modern top of the line bike at a steal, but a 98' CBR400, come on! And then would call back an hour later, ask me if I had sold the VFR yet (doh!) and then say it was too old and he would only pay 50,000.

Some people do try and sell bikes for stupid money (too high), but if some people are dumb enough to pay it that is their look out. But, usually you see those kinds of bikes on the lists for a long time. For the CBR400 NC23, which was in tip-top condition with a green book, I priced it at 75,000, didn't get many bites so I dropped it 5,000 and sold it within a day.

Like many posters said, it is all about what the market is willing to pay. If you have a bike that is set around the right asking price, and have a good attitude you should have no problems.

Idiot tire-kickers, just ignore them, they soon go away.

​And, your stories about your village and experience: you cannot generalize them to other villages in Thailand

Right, here's a village where all the Thais take great care of their bikes; there's a village where they don't. :)

All depends on the individual owner, but generally Thais aren't big on maintenance, esp of bikes. I've had my experience. Most Germans, now, take maintenance seriously.

How do you know the Thai "fixer upper" didn't aquire the bike from a falang ? a more likely senario in my opinion

I'm not making any comment about who looks after what better - it's a pointless argument, if you are going to buy a motorcycle or car for that matter it's not hard to work out if it's been looked after and I'd much less trust a dealer than a private seller, I know 2x bike dealers and they were both falang and both crooks, the Thai service shops I know of need to be kept an eye on too they tend to over price and make up repairs so I keep an eye on them with clear instructions only to do what I ask, two of the repair shops in Pattaya are already off my usable list after past experiences

Perhaps it was because in the green book there were no farang names?

The local Honda dealer where I live is IMO quite trustworthy, does a good job and also looks around the bike for things that aren't on the schedule and points them out.

I usually order the parts and go back when they call me to fit them.

Maybe it is because it is usually the same guy every time and I give him a tip or not but I certainly have no problems.

loserlaser

i do not think so.

'Generally speaking farangs tend to maintain and service their bikes'

'They are usually more trustworthy to buy from than a Thai'

These are where i got my comments. just read your post man.

And, i am not shouting about my time here. it is just to state the fact that i am not talking from my stomach about Thai people and i have some experience here. Our time in Thailand is not something we need to be proud of, right? As it is not for me. Besides, nobody knows the density level of our experiences over time. For some a lot interesting, for some nothing particular.

I am a straightforward guy and i say what i see so sorry if you got offended but by this way, i did not put words to your mouth just spoken honestly with you. This is what i think.

​And, your stories about your village and experience: you cannot generalize them to other villages in Thailand besides, you cannot even generalize your experiences as everybody is living a different life with different people on a different area.

Moreover, some get cheated some do not or some cheat some do not. That is life and it is not related with soft talk or pleasant smiles.

Regards and happy rides man.

From my experience in the village where I live most of the Thais are farmers or shopkeepers and are very slack on maintenance of most things.