Thai Women's Fund Open To All: Nalinee

webfact

Interjection from the countryside.

The local community (Democrat) went around and collected the signatures from the women for this fund.

We will see.

My wife said, a good check for the sincerity of this project. In her home province the Democrat communities promote the same check.

Edited by lungmi

A fact-absent negative view of a very positive thing.

Having seen its' effective functioning and focus, assigns such negativity to agenda.

Well the first part of any intiative is to confirm there is funding available to carry it forward........other than stating it is time for people to register and the panel will be set up later, I don't see anything other than encouragement from Nalinee

So what are you guys on about?

I'd agree that it's very early days, that the initiative might possibly turn out to be of some benefits if carried-through intelligently, but fall-about laughing when it's claimed by another poster that it's already functioning effectively ! laugh.png

Ricardo, #37^

Khun Nalinee says in the OP that the panel to oversee the fund will be set up on March 31st. How can they already have set up functioning disbursement offices, when they don't yet formally exist ?

Village-Fund director Natee says "it would extend help for women from village to tambon level", she is clearly talking about the implementation of the scheme as being something to happen
in the future.

Isn't it possible that you've observed other schemes, such as the existing Village-Fund referred to in the article, or the existing post-school education programme, which has existed for years, and mistaken it to be part of this new Womens Empowerment Fund, which is yet to be established ?

I checked again, and you are correct in the main Ricardo.

What I have observed is the submission of applications only, for the educational thing I describe in the previous Post.

As well, some sort of selection process is yet to take place, for Tambon level staff to coordinate stuff at that level.

All-in-all, things seem to be gearing up very aggressively. I hear much talk about close, hands-on scrutiny by the women involved, to insure the funds are used for their intended purpose. They have set up some sort of "follow the money trajectory" from the issuing office in BKK, to the end user.

Knowing some of the women involved, I wouldn't want to be caught with my hands in the cookie jar.

Edited by CalgaryII

Many will have very little faith in verbal assurances of that kind, I'm afraid. Real transparency and accountability are much more than opaque "don't worry, it'll all be fine" burblings. The Thai public has heard these all too often. Such bland reassurances have no credibility whatsoever.

I have seen it functioning effectively. I have been to the disbursement office several times, with viable and positively positioned initiatives taken by those who it will benefit most.

Have you seen otherwise?

Khun Nalinee says in the OP that the panel to oversee the fund will be set up on March 31st. How can they already have set up functioning disbursement offices, when they don't yet formally exist ?

Village-Fund director Natee says "it would extend help for women from village to tambon level", she is clearly talking about the implementation of the scheme as being something to happen in the future.

He saw the scheme working effectively at the "disbursement office" in the same way he saw 300,000 Red Shirts gathered, when no one else in the world did.

Ricardo, #37^

Village-Fund director Natee says "it would extend help for women from village to tambon level", she is clearly talking about the implementation of the scheme as being something to happen
in the future.

Isn't it possible that you've observed other schemes, such as the existing Village-Fund referred to in the article, or the existing post-school education programme, which has existed for years, and mistaken it to be part of this new Womens Empowerment Fund, which is yet to be established ?

What I have observed is the submission of applications only, for the educational thing I describe in the previous Post.

As well, some sort of selection process is yet to take place, for Tambon level staff to coordinate stuff at that level.

All-in-all, things seem to be gearing up very aggressively. I hear much talk about close, hands-on scrutiny by the women involved, to insure the funds are used for their intended purpose. They have set up some sort of "follow the money trajectory" from the issuing office in BKK, to the end user.

Knowing some of the women involved, I wouldn't want to be caught with my hands in the cookie jar.

Thank-you. jap.gif

We can all sometimes get carried away, not everyone is willing to admit it.

Ricardo, #37^

in the future.

Thank-you. jap.gif

We can all sometimes get carried away, not everyone is willing to admit it.

But there is no excuse for uninformed fallacies used to belittle correct information.

I have seen it functioning effectively. I have been to the disbursement office several times, with viable and positively positioned initiatives taken by those who it will benefit most.

So do you work for Pheu Thai, the UDD, or Thaksin?

studies on poverty have shown that educating women is the most effective investment to make to reduce poverty.

Looks like a good initiative.

And scrapping the subsidised uniforms and textbooks that allowed girls to afford to stay in school was massively counter-productive. Children learn faster than women.

But that was someone else's idea.

Wow calgaryll, you know so many people, must be at least 500 hours in every day for you.

"They have set up some sort of "follow the money trajectory" from the issuing office in BKK, to the end user. "

1. Who are 'they'?

2. Share some details, if there are any, actually I strongly suspect this is another one of your opportunistic 'fantasies'.

Edited by scorecard

studies on poverty have shown that educating women is the most effective investment to make to reduce poverty.

I don't disagree.

But I do want to see some evidence that the funds are being distributed without favor and are focused and see that a bigger % of the funds are going directly to the girls/women who have least opportunities. And transparency.

I don't disagree.

But I do want to see some evidence that the funds are being distributed without favor and are focused and see that a bigger % of the funds are going directly to the girls/women who have least opportunities. And transparency.

Transparency seems to be a problem in Thailand (and elsewhere, I might add).

B)

Your points are valid, but also general - they apply to all programs - regardless of the relative merits of the program.

This program looks to me to be a good idea/initiative.

Not much argument about how it LOOKS. Everyone, I hope, would support programs that truly aim to empower and liberate Thai women, and achieve measurable beneficial results.

It's the real as distinct from the ostensible objectives, the cost (when the nation is already heavily in debt), the implementation, the equality of access, the transparency and the accountability... for starters, that are matters of some interest, especially among taxpayers who are providing the funds (I assume taxation is the source of funding or loan repayment).

Not much argument about how it LOOKS. Everyone, I hope, would support programs that truly aim to empower and liberate Thai women, and achieve measurable beneficial results.

It's the real as distinct from the ostensible objectives, the cost (when the nation is already heavily in debt), the implementation, the equality of access, the transparency and the accountability... for starters, that are matters of some interest, especially among taxpayers who are providing the funds (I assume taxation is the source of funding or loan repayment).

Do you think the 15 year-old adolescent teen girls will have difficulty paying back their Women Empowerment Fund loans provided by the taxpayers?

I don't see the point of the program, though if it's just another place to borrow money from I also don't see the downside, they, both men and women, have been borrowing money for ages and personally I don't think it had any significant effect on the fate of the poor, maybe made them feel better, which is a very valuable achievement in itself.

I love this line:

"I have been to the disbursement office several times, with viable and positively positioned initiatives taken by those who it will benefit most."

What does it mean? The poster has been to the office with some initiatives? Okay, just a little mistake, but the part about those proposing initiatives going to get the most benefit leaves me scratching my head. So far all the visible initiatives have been taken by Nalinee and her stuff.

Even if the poster means well - what's so glorious about people proposing ideas to borrow money for their own benefits? It would be great if someone proposed ideas for the benefit of the community but that's not what is happening there according to this "report".

Overall - storm in a teacup, some will use this fund to finance their personal projects, some will use it to cover debts from other sources, some will ignore it and seek money elsewhere. Just get them all indebted, will be very useful come election season as you can promise to forgive or postpone their debts, and you don't even have to finance this borrowing from your own pocket. Bankers are just idiots, real smart ones go into government and lend other people's money.

Could CalgaryII be Robert Amsterdam (or one of his online perception management team) having some fun with us anti-(Pheu Thai / Red Shirt / Thaksin) members on Thai Visa? Calgary is a city in Canada, and Robert Amsterdam is a Canadian "lawyer".

Anyway, if CalgaryII indeed works for Pheu Thai / Red Shirt / Thaksin as evidenced by his statements in this thread, it gives his past posts much better context - the extreme bias would make more sense, as he is doing a job and being remunerated.

Could CalgaryII be Robert Amsterdam (or one of his online perception management team) having some fun with us anti-(Pheu Thai / Red Shirt / Thaksin) members on Thai Visa? Calgary is a city in Canada, and Robert Amsterdam is a Canadian "lawyer".

Anyway, if CalgaryII indeed works for Pheu Thai / Red Shirt / Thaksin as evidenced by his statements in this thread, it gives his past posts much better context - the extreme bias would make more sense, as he is doing a job and being remunerated.

I think there's a good possibility there is a connection.

Notice calgayll just hammers away at his pet subjects, all presented / twisted to make the reds look good and the rest look bad.

Posts proving his (her?) assertions to be wrong are ignored and he (she?) just keeps making the same (proven to be untruthful) claims again and again.

Everything the reds do is credible, and they have been maligned.

Is / was always on the spot for every red / pt event or activity known to man, but there's not enough hours in one day to make this remotely possible.