Sick Of People Knocking Pattaya

thenervoussurgeon

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about that. I would consider Naklua, Jomtien and the dark side all within the region we describe as Pattaya.

Pattaya is a pretty vague term. I live 0.5 km from Walking Street and "Pattaya" is not even included in my official address - Nongprue, Banglamung....

I can see your point, but those areas have different names for a reason. I am talking about "Pattaya City." For example, you drive under a sign as you leave Jomtien that says, "Welcome To Pattaya City, The Extreme City." I believe there is another one on Pattaya Nua as you enter Pattaya City. That is how I define the city. Apparently the city does to some degree as well or they would have put those signs elsewhere.

You can encompass all of those areas by saying "Pattaya" but to be specific to the area which I find to be undesirable and rough these days would be "Pattaya City." The other areas are nice and I don't like to lump them into the pit that has become the inner city. That wouldn't be fair to those areas. My only issue is with the inner city, where most of the crime, scams, violence, and crazy stuff happens.

And <deleted> is "Pattaya proper"?

Go on, try your best to define that geographically since you seem to know the suburbs. Or are you another one that defines Pattaya be the extents of where you think the whores and sexpats hang about since you haven't really got a clue?

Seriously?

That's what you call the main area of a city, or some may use it to define the city limits / borders.

I'm actually surprised I have to explain that to an adult.

By the same token, did your post make you feel better about not living there?

I come to the Pattaya forum for entertainment. And without fail, it delivers. Your posts made my day. Thanks.

living east of Sukhumvit we don't face the horrible pollution of down town Pattaya and the lower relative humidity adds to physical comfort. the reason for this is the different (opposite) direction of air flow even though the distance (in my case) is less than 4 kilometers as the crow flies.

You are 4 kilometers east Sukhumvit and get less humidity?

On first contact, the Thais here seem to take it for granted that I am like the bulk of farang they have had contact with, and are suspicious if not judgemental.

So basically you feel you're a better quality Farang that the rest in Pattaya. Once the Thais get to know you they find out you're better than the rest.

... and of course you don't live in Pattaya because you live Soi 5 in Jomtien.

living east of Sukhumvit we don't face the horrible pollution of down town Pattaya and the lower relative humidity adds to physical comfort. the reason for this is the different (opposite) direction of air flow even though the distance (in my case) is less than 4 kilometers as the crow flies.

Interesting science. We'll have to compare hygrometers because I'm sceptical about that too.

Edited by tropo

So basically you feel you're a better quality Farang that the rest in Pattaya. Once the Thais get to know you they find out you're better than the rest.

That seems to be the bulk of people I've met in Pattaya. They are always different, always the exception, always there for the family activities, restaurants, clean beaches, friendly locals, and golf. A true quality falang.

Seems to be a lot of them.

Interesting science. We'll have to compare hygrometers because I'm sceptical about that too.

it's not interesting science but a fact. the simple reason is that we have most of the time a different air flow direction coming from the hills east and moving in direction Jomtien.

p.s. our home is 2km east of Sukhumvit and 4km east of Jomtien beach, i.e. even closer to the beach than you thought.

it's not interesting science but a fact. the simple reason is that we have most of the time a different air flow direction coming from the hills east and moving in direction Jomtien.

If it is a fact, then it is interesting science. Excuse me for being skeptical, but I still am.

Get your hygrometer outside and we'll compare relative humidity. I'm near the beach.

That seems to be the bulk of people I've met in Pattaya. They are always different, always the exception, always there for the family activities, restaurants, clean beaches, friendly locals, and golf. A true quality falang.

A lot can be learned from the old phrase: "Self praise is no recommendation".

I was pointing out that the bulk of farang are here to have sex with girls, whereas I am here to work, therefore I am here for different reasons to most of the other farang.

At no point did I claim superiority, or even imply it.

It should come as no surprise that people who are here to have sex with bar girls are judged and treated with suspicion and I, by association of skin colour, am treated with suspicion. I regret this association, I do not resent it. It just is.....

It seems odd that some of you are jumping on the bandwagon of a mis-quote....

As always, it pays to read the threads and reply to the source.

Thankyou.

I think Pattaya should be respected in that it does by its nature and existence encourage allot of people to remain Christian in their faith such that they live in hope that if God ever decides to turn another city to stone it will probably be Pattaya.

Ok I jest... it would be Patong before Pattaya. I live in BKK but go down to Pattaya regularly... there are some great bars and restaurants and also close by some nice beach spots for lunch .

Pattaya as we all know started up with a certain orientation for want of a better term and she will never shake this stigma..however its the same the world over.. lowlife attracts lowlife... just depends on how you look at things.. if you want to focus on the negative then yes Pattaya has got heaps to keep you occupied, however if you want to look at a place and look at what its got going for it then Pattaya more so than allot of cities ive lived in and visited has it .

Just wish there was a nice area of twisties around there to take the bike on.

I'll give it a thumbs up and Im lucky to have it within 1.5 hours of BKK on good highway

Kinda like the reputation Amsterdam has? Even though it's only a small part of the city...and shrinking. But quite the tourist attraction. Like Walking Street?

We've been seeing more and more couples over the years. And many beer bars closing down, go go's having problems. I guess you make more money from a large condo or shopping mall than a string of smaller beer bars? The new influx of tourists are Russian couples.

As for places to ride a bike, head out towards Silver Lake winery or the wat nearby. Lots of small roads and interesting places to see there. I see bikers out there all the time.

Been there about 6 times--always dragged by an out of town visitor, or with a Thai tour group. Have been all over the area (not just Walking Street).

My take on it: The attitudes of the locals in the service industry suck. They hate tourists but love their money. Makes for a bad combination of $hitty customer service and surly attitudes. Add to that scenario, a boat-load of Chinese and Russian tourists who have taken on the mantle of the previous "Ugly American," and it becomes the last few nails in the coffin of a tourist-trap-gone-to-hell.

And, I'm not "sanctimonious." I'm a practical-minded world traveler (40 countries) who's seen it all. As for this place, it's ranking and appeal is below the bottom of the barrel.

Even most of the Thais I was with came away hating it too...more like ashamed of it. Their take: It's not really Thailand. it's an alien, misanthropic planet dropped into the middle of SE Asia.

Any bad press that Pattaya gets is well-deserved. neus.gif

Yes we believe you ,dragged here 6 times and came away hating it ,and we all know that you will "hate" it the next six times licklips.gif

Managed to stay away for 5 years. Any bets I can keep that up? With my enduring opinion of Patters? ;)

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Been there about 6 times--always dragged by an out of town visitor, or with a Thai tour group. Have been all over the area (not just Walking Street).

My take on it: The attitudes of the locals in the service industry suck. They hate tourists but love their money. Makes for a bad combination of $hitty customer service and surly attitudes. Add to that scenario, a boat-load of Chinese and Russian tourists who have taken on the mantle of the previous "Ugly American," and it becomes the last few nails in the coffin of a tourist-trap-gone-to-hell.

And, I'm not "sanctimonious." I'm a practical-minded world traveler (40 countries) who's seen it all. As for this place, it's ranking and appeal is below the bottom of the barrel.

Even most of the Thais I was with came away hating it too...more like ashamed of it. Their take: It's not really Thailand. it's an alien, misanthropic planet dropped into the middle of SE Asia.

I don't wish to be pedantic. . . .

please explain to us how and why you think you have seen it all.

Not really pedantic, but a bit trollish, trying to draw a poster into an off-topic debate. Sorry if we touched a nerve. ;)

I don't wish to be pedantic. . . .

please explain to us how and why you think you have seen it all.

Not really pedantic, but a bit trollish, trying to draw a poster into an off-topic debate. Sorry if we touched a nerve. wink.png

Has it really taken you three days to come up with this as a response?

I was pointing out that the bulk of farang are here to have sex with girls, whereas I am here to work, therefore I am here for different reasons to most of the other farang.

It should come as no surprise that people who are here to have sex with bar girls are judged and treated with suspicion and I, by association of skin colour, am treated with suspicion. I regret this association, I do not resent it. It just is.....

Thankyou.

I believe my assessment of your post was spot on.

Here is exactly what you posted:

"I do understand and accept how other people are attracted to the lifestyle, just not me.

Living here does have a negative impact on me. On first contact, the Thais here seem to take it for granted that I am like the bulk of farang they have had contact with, and are suspicious if not judgemental. There is more active avoidance of farang here and when there is contact, it is not as open and happy as other parts of Thailand, in my experience anyway."

You're trying your level best to distance yourself from the rest.

Hence my comment: "self praise is no recommendation".

Who's to say what you're up to after you finish your day's work. What is your "great job" you have here? Do you run a church group?

Thankyou.

I believe my assessment of your post was spot on.

Here is exactly what you posted:

"I do understand and accept how other people are attracted to the lifestyle, just not me.

Living here does have a negative impact on me. On first contact, the Thais here seem to take it for granted that I am like the bulk of farang they have had contact with, and are suspicious if not judgemental. There is more active avoidance of farang here and when there is contact, it is not as open and happy as other parts of Thailand, in my experience anyway."

You're trying your level best to distance yourself from the rest.

Hence my comment: "self praise is no recommendation".

Who's to say what you're up to after you finish your day's work. What is your "great job" you have here? Do you run a church group?

Where did I praise myself?

Since when did "the bulk of" become "the rest"?

I'm a Teacher. I can help you to read.

I think you need help....

Where did I praise myself?

Since when did "the bulk of" become "the rest"?

I'm a Teacher. I can help you to read.

I think you need help....

Give us a break, teach. It's pretty obvious you're trying to put yourself on a different level - stop trying to back pedal now that you've been outed.

What do you teach? I hope it's not English.

Edited by tropo

Managed to stay away for 5 years. Any bets I can keep that up? With my enduring opinion of Patters? wink.png

I'll take a bet you're finding it hard to stay away. Why else would you be trolling on the Pattaya forum?

No, about 2 minutes. Some of us have a life outside the internet.

Stop telling pork pies mate....i saw you looking at my original reply almost immediately after i posted. giggle.gif Btw and you've still failed to answer mt question.

Please explain to the rest of the thread how you've seen it all and as such are well qualified to judge pattaya?

As mentioned in another thread, Amsterdam has a pretty bad reputation, due to the red light district. But the rest of the city is fantastic. Pattaya has a "bad" reputation due to the south central part, but the rest of the city is pretty much a "normal" Thai city. Phuket has Patong, Bangkok has Patpong (a horrible place, IMHO), etc. If your only experience with Pattaya is the central area, then it's like saying I've been to Phuket and hated it, even though you never left Patong. You really never got to see Phuket. Only a very small part.

I do agree that the central district is less than stellar, similar to Patpong, Nana, Patong, etc. But there's so much more to this area.

What makes you think that? Most, if not all, of the people in my social circle are happily married couples with families here. Obviously there are a lot of sex tourists downtown, but I think when you have been here for a while it becomes less interesting and certainly not the main reason we're here.

What makes you think that? Most, if not all, of the people in my social circle are happily married couples with families here. Obviously there are a lot of sex tourists downtown, but I think when you have been here for a while it becomes less interesting and certainly not the main reason we're here.

Yes you exactly right, and I am looking forward to becoming part of the social circle you describe. The problem being that I am single, and the norm for singles here is to partake.... Difficult to move into the established and healthy social circles.

So I come here for insight. Where are the places I can go, where are the places to avoid, traps, pitfalls, opportunities.

People like you, who seem well adjusted and happy, are who I look to for this advice. Thanks.

Sadly there are not so many threads that can help me, unless I want to find the best place to buy a lawnmower....

So I comment on threads like this and information comes.

Yes you exactly right, and I am looking forward to becoming part of the social circle you describe. The problem being that I am single, and the norm for singles here is to partake.... Difficult to move into the established and healthy social circles.

So I come here for insight. Where are the places I can go, where are the places to avoid, traps, pitfalls, opportunities.

People like you, who seem well adjusted and happy, are who I look to for this advice. Thanks.

Sadly there are not so many threads that can help me, unless I want to find the best place to buy a lawnmower....

Luckily, it's a good place for a single guy. Lots to do! Try the expat clubs. I met a great guy at immigration my last trip that is now becoming a friend. Head over to Leo's Blues Bar on Wednesdays to meet with a great group of expat musicians. And Leo is pretty cool also. Join the Pattaya Players. Join a golf league. Join a billiards group. Join a darts group. Join the car club at Shenanigans. We've gotten so busy, we are actually scheduling days off. And I'm retired!!

Lots of professionals here. Many who don't venture into Central Pattaya on a regular basis. But still enjoy Pattaya for what it is.

• Like 1

I lived over on the bar less ( Then ) side of the Sukhumvit for a few years until 1997.

I used to take my young daughter along the beach road and it was o.k. until she started to progress age wise, talk and understand English.

We where always getting ladies shouting stuff and making offers ???

On a particular occasion a group of ladies from the bars kept shouting stuff and one shouted my friend take care of baby, you come with me papa.

My daughter looked confused to say the least but I said the lady is saying hello ???

I decided to move away from Pattaya and moved up north to Lampang. Sure there are bars ect. in most places you stay, but at least they are usually a bit more discreet and respectful of families IMHO based on experiences since then.

I think discretionand repct of family is key here and notthe bars themselves, after all why shouldn,t I be able to go along beach raod for a walk with my family without no brainers shouting this stuff at you.

Pattaya for me is ideal for couples and singles, but again for me, not for my children. I am not knocking the place,

I just think as a parent it doesn,t suit my family, and for me I have no regrets about moving.

Each to his own and for those who like this particular life style, Enjoy it

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Luckily, it's a good place for a single guy. Lots to do! Try the expat clubs. I met a great guy at immigration my last trip that is now becoming a friend. Head over to Leo's Blues Bar on Wednesdays to meet with a great group of expat musicians. And Leo is pretty cool also. Join the Pattaya Players. Join a golf league. Join a billiards group. Join a darts group. Join the car club at Shenanigans. We've gotten so busy, we are actually scheduling days off. And I'm retired!!

Lots of professionals here. Many who don't venture into Central Pattaya on a regular basis. But still enjoy Pattaya for what it is.

As lovetotravel said - frequent the non-girly-bar related activities and show others you're a nice guy and you'll eventually start making friends.