Nasal Decongestant

toybits

Since pseudo-ephedrine based nasal decongestants have been taken off pharmacies in Thailand, my pharmacists insist on having me take anti-histamines. Problem is that it makes me drowsy and it is not that effective for me. I need another type of nasal decongestant that is not an Anti-histamine.

My pharmacists said that going to the government hospital to ask for a prescription for pseudo-ephedrine is a criminal waste of time.

Any suggestions?

You might try Rhinocort Aqua spray, or alternatively/additionally, try using a salt water wash.

You can buy large bottles of sterile saline solution at most pharmacies, this together with a large syringe can be used to wash your nasal cavities out (Google washing sinus with salt water for tips).

Sounds awful, but its not unpleasant once you get the hang of it and it almost certainly will help relieve symptoms.

That said, I'd still go get a check up, sinus problems can become chronic and have significant other health impacts.

Is this banned drug used in the nasal spray sold in Thailand? I don't have a bottle on me to check. I only use it a few times a year but I really need it then and will absolutely go to a hospital for a prescription if I have to

Google "neti pot" It has been a staple in Aruvedic medicine for about 2000 years. Buy one and you will never need the toxic Pharma drugs for sinus and many bronchial problems. It rinses your sinuses with sea salt as mentioned previously by another poster. Be careful though it may lead you down a path toward effective alternative medicines and better health...

So far I have been able to get by on my leftover supplies of pseudoephedrine over-the-counter pills, but the day is not far away when I will need to see what happens when I go to the hospitals for it. (Sigh).

but I can't even imagine living up in CM/CR considering what I've seen in the news lately!

yeah wrong forum, but in short the best OTC is beconase, although it may take a few days to take effect. Nasal rinsing is ok. Don't use the cheap stuff you could just suffer a rebound effect where the symptoms get worse. I guess you are suffering from the effects of pollution, but you should really have the once over from a doctor.

I know what rebound it. I have a number of polyps removed when I was a kid. I even blew one polyp out and had the stem removed surgically. It is not a pleasant experience. I used nasal sprays which cause the rebound. Best med for me has been pseudo-ephedrine. I will try Rhinocort but that sounds like it has got some steroids in it. Will have to check label.

yeah wrong forum, but in short the best OTC is beconase, although it may take a few days to take effect. Nasal rinsing is ok. Don't use the cheap stuff you could just suffer a rebound effect where the symptoms get worse. I guess you are suffering from the effects of pollution, but you should really have the once over from a doctor.

I asked my doctor if there is any substitute for pseudoephedrine, and uncharacteristically his answer was simple: no. Though the pharmacists and doctors I have asked about this clearly do not wish to be publicly critical of the government, their silence and pensiveness over the issue when I ask clearly indicate disapproval.

Yes, it is total madness.

Many countries limit the quantities a person can buy OTC, which ios fine (how much does anyone need for a single cold anyhow?) and some countries require a show if ID presumably to enter into a database ion case someone makes the rounds to accumulate a large quantity that way.

But this is the only place I have heard of to actually take it out of pharmacies altogether. it is going to play havoc at the government hospitals which are too crowded as it is.

once suggested tip: if you do have to go to a hospital for this, go to a small district hospital as they are usually not well utilized (with good reason, but for this purpose it doesn't matter).

I can only reiterate that beconase is the only medicine that has produced really good anti-inflammatory effects for me. I suffer from non allergic rhinitis and have a deviated septum. My nose was always getting blocked and until finding beconase used to suffer from gnawing pain around the eyes. It doesn't stop the allergy or blocked sinus as nothing can, but certainly I tried everything else before settling on this option for pain relief. I believe it is relatively safe to use 2 months at a time but therefter a doctor should examine you to check there is no membrane damage. it works.

I can only reiterate that beconase is the only medicine that has produced really good anti-inflammatory effects for me. I suffer from non allergic rhinitis and have a deviated septum. ..........

That’s confusing, because a trustable German website (net doctor.de) gives a warning(!):

You should use it if you have an allergic rhinitis. If you have a bacterial or viral infection it can get worse by Beconase.

What’s right now?