Expat Teenagers In Phuket

HongKongPhooey

Just as the old adage goes about never seeing baby pigeons, it occurred to me that you never see a lot of expat teenagers in Phuket. The reason I was thinking about this, is because I believe it may be the only stumbling block to my perfect future plans.

I love Phuket and it's where I see my future, but the thought of raising older children here is the only thing that concerns me. I have no problem with the scams, crime, rip offs, bad driving etc etc in Phuket because I know how to live my life where they don't affect me. Having young children isn't a problem either because they are constantly under your supervision and live the same problem free life as you.

However, if I try to imagine myself 10 years in the future with teenagers I'm not sure if Phuket would be suitable, and that disappoints me some what. Obviously there's still all the safe places for them to go but the thought of them having the same level of freedom they would be allowed in the UK just doesn't seem possible.

Questions:

Does anybody have teenage kids here and can share their experiences of how it's going? Where do they hang out and what level of freedom are they permitted? Do they drive in Phuket? (ohmy.png How scary is the thought of letting your inexperienced kids drive on Phuket roads)

How do the people who have younger kids in Phuket feel about what the future holds as their kids get older? Is it something that you think may lead to needing to move away?

Any thoughts welcomed.

P.S Could all the Phuket haters please have one day off!! If you hate Phuket full stop then it's obvious you wouldn't want to raise kids here let alone teenagers, so telling us is pointless.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know maybe six, or seven mixed couples who's children are now teenagers.

All of them except one went bad. Mixing with the wrong crowd, getting into drugs, or violence.

Most of them failed at school, too and are a constant source of worry to their parents.

The one that didn't is a star and is studying advanced engineering subjects in a highly regarded university in Europe.

All of them except one went bad. Mixing with the wrong crowd, getting into drugs, or violence.

Most of them failed at school, too and are a constant source of worry to their parents.

The one that didn't is a star and is studying advanced engineering subjects in a highly regarded university in Europe.

Wow! That's not a great strike rate, one out of 6 or 7. Can you vouch for these couples as decent parents and did the kids go to a decent school? If the answer is yes & yes then that's a surprising statistic to say the least.

To be honest I hadn't really thought about things that bad as being a problem. I was more thinking about a lack of freedom and independence due to certain parts of the island being dangerous after dark, and the inability for them to get anywhere on their own.

Thanks for the input.

Sounds pretty much the same as all major towns and cities in the UK.....I would think that a Thai national with excellent English language from one parent would have so many opportunties to work, have fun and make money..much better place to be than any of the western countries.

OP i am pretty sure that there will be parents all over Thailand that share your concerns about how their kids will turn out...i am just outside Pattaya with a youngster (yes i know its even worse there LoL) so it would be nice to here from parents or even the kids themselves on how things have panned out for them

Wow! That's not a great strike rate, one out of 6 or 7. Can you vouch for these couples as decent parents and did the kids go to a decent school? If the answer is yes & yes then that's a surprising statistic to say the least.

To be honest I hadn't really thought about things that bad as being a problem. I was more thinking about a lack of freedom and independence due to certain parts of the island being dangerous after dark, and the inability for them to get anywhere on their own.

Thanks for the input.

I can echo what KB says.

Will you be living here full time or working away and leaving the children with their mother?

Most of these kids turn into spoiled brats with an attitude problem, parents think throwing money at them is the answer, its not.

These kids I talk of went to so called international schools where they mixed with kids just as f****d up as themselves.

I know parents who have taken their children out of schools in Thailand and sent them back to the UK to be eductaed.

These children seem to be more mature, better educated and better mannered with plans for their future.

The stories I hear and have witnessed first hand, 16 year olds out drinking openly, drugs and all the other things teenagers expiriment with back home, the difference here is, some of these kids think they are immune, or daddy can make the problems go away.

I know of one guy who has a 30 year old step son who has never worked a day in his life, this useless POS now wants a new CRV because he is losing face being seen in an old car, he is of course tthe apple of his mothers eye, this bum all recives 30k a month pocket money and lives at home.

I now understand why the father chooses to work away instead of enjoying his retirement.

I can echo what KB says.

Will you be living here full time or working away and leaving the children with their mother?

Most of these kids turn into spoiled brats with an attitude problem, parents think throwing money at them is the answer, its not.

These kids I talk of went to so called international schools where they mixed with kids just as f****d up as themselves.

I know parents who have taken their children out of schools in Thailand and sent them back to the UK to be eductaed.

These children seem to be more mature, better educated and better mannered with plans for their future.

The stories I hear and have witnessed first hand, 16 year olds out drinking openly, drugs and all the other things teenagers expiriment with back home, the difference here is, some of these kids think they are immune, or daddy can make the problems go away.

I know of one guy who has a 30 year old step son who has never worked a day in his life, this useless POS now wants a new CRV because he is losing face being seen in an old car, he is of course tthe apple of his mothers eye, this bum all recives 30k a month pocket money and lives at home.

I now understand why the father chooses to work away instead of enjoying his retirement.

Although I don't fear that my children would have any such problems themselves, if kids with crap parents made up a large amount of the students at the International schools, then the lack of decent peers and the amount of time spent with these kind of kids could be an issue.

I would hazard a guess that the amount of kids with decent parents that turned in to troublesome, drug taking losers, would be very small, but still it would be a shame if they were the majority that the decent kids had to put up with.

It will take a bit more than a couple of posts to make me believe that this is definitely the case. It wouldn't surprise me if it was common but just how common I'm not yet sure.

They mostly went to QSI, or Darasamut and then onto,Dulwich. It was the only international school on the island, then.

All the couples were good parents. Putting their kids through Dulwich was expensive and none of them were rich.

Edited by KarenBravo

They mostly went to QSI, or Darasamut and then onto,Dulwich. It was the only international school on the island, then.

And their parents? Would you say it was mainly down to the parenting or down to the bad influence of mixing with other kids that had bad parents.

And their parents? Would you say it was mainly down to the parenting or down to the bad influence of mixing with other kids that had bad parents.

I don't think you understand. It has nothing to do with the parents.

These children go to a Thai school when they are young and are taught that Thailand and Thais are the best and that they were lucky to be born Thai.

The luk-kreung children get reminded of there ethnicity by the other children, sometimes not in a nice way.

For some of these kids, it becomes a problem. They'll do anything to become "accepted" by the crowd.

Edited by KarenBravo

^ You didn't mention that the problem stems from them going to a Thai school when they were young. You mentioned QSI, isn't that an international school?

If they only went to International schools wouldn't most of the other kids be mixed race as well, therefore they wouldn't be the minority and unlikely to be teased because of it?

Also I don't agree that if kids get involved in drugs, violence and crime because of peer pressure that you can say it has nothing to do with the parenting. A parents job is to get their children through their childhood safely despite the inevitable negative influences such as peer pressure.

I have to be honest, I'm not convinced any of the points raised so far are of any great concern. It's more their safety outside of school and not being able to give them an appropriate amount of independence as a result.

Please yourself.

If you can't believe you can get bad kids from good parents and good kids from bad parents, then it's your look out.

I didn't say that. Of course it can work out that way but it certainly isn't the norm. I was just trying to understand what you were saying the reason for these kids going off the rails was and I didn't understand. If it was just peer pressure or being teased because they were mixed race then I was simply saying that I am confident that that won't be an issue. Or at least it's not one that I'm overly worried about.

Quite simply all it takes for a kid to go bad is a bad place and hormones.

Pretty hard for a kid to be really good with amazing values in phuket unless they have sick strick korean/chinese parents that use the belt everytime they arch their back to wrong way at the dinning table.

From childhood they watch fighting shows instead of educational loving shoes as we western watch, there is no organized play for children of a lower age. They are put into nurseries where all they have is 3 balls and the ability to do karate with each other. Then they have the news that only show people kiling each other since thats pretty much all that happens here outside of polution. Then they have their parents and friend's parent making plenty of $ from abusing whiteys. The heros around here are the jetskis/tuktuk guys. Imagine a norm of the mil teenager learning that you can make 30k+ per month just drinking beer and sitting close to the beach, for the brighter kids the heros are the corrupt politicians/policemen.

And if your wife is an ex bargirl, then you have all the other kids asking your kid every day of their life how much men mommy has gone with, how much for a blowjob, hey look i have a thousand baht in my pocket.. guess its time for your mommy to take care of me for the week. etc etc. If your wife is a proper woman then you still have all the thai kids tilting the crap out of you with fake bargirl accusations anytime they want to because you're half pissshitfarang to them.

need i go on? Bangkok could be better with a lot of children stuff. Good indor parks, Good quality lessons (If you send your kids in phuket to learn violin they'll probably be given a cheap ukulele and be taught by a person with no hands) but then again you have all the universities fighting each others. Putting bombs, Shooting each others with wooden guns. Dont tell me its fake, i used to live by a non-vocational uni and i saw many fights with over 400 students and lots of blood. They even beat on the girls.

Go back home you get good free schools (or you can pay like 100k baht~ per year for a semi-private school), you get a lot more diversities so a lot more chances that your kid falls into the right crowd. There is so little to do and so little culture in thailand, everyone is the same at a young age and they all like the same music etc. They can do hudnreds of state funded or cheap group extra curricular activities that they will love and will keep them out of trouble. If they dont like one, sign them up to a new one every week untill you have something that fits, EVERYBODY loves something and once you've got a passion its hard for you to change your life to just sitting under a bridge and drinking/fighting (although they'll do it occasionally while keeping out of real trouble) Lots of troubled kids(i knew a lot of them) first problem was that they didnt have anything to do that was special. Only the normal videogame/smoke weed crap. They felt left out of the world. Lots of kids with big passions become losers, but they become nice friendly losers who love what they do.

From childhood they watch fighting shows instead of educational loving shoes as we western watch, there is no organized play for children of a lower age. They are put into nurseries where all they have is 3 balls and the ability to do karate with each other. Then they have the news that only show people kiling each other since thats pretty much all that happens here outside of polution. Then they have their parents and friend's parent making plenty of $ from abusing whiteys. The heros around here are the jetskis/tuktuk guys. Imagine a norm of the mil teenager learning that you can make 30k+ per month just drinking beer and sitting close to the beach, for the brighter kids the heros are the corrupt politicians/policemen.

You're confusing me more than KB did!

Why in great lengths, have you just given your opinion of Thai kids? How are those 'perceived' shortcomings of the Thai parents of Thai kids relevant to an expat raising his teenage kids in Phuket.

I'm talking predominantly about children with one Farang parent and a Thai parent, as that describes the vast majority of the children of the users of this Forum who may be raising kids in Thailand, and for the sake of my personal argument I'm also talking about them only going to an International school (although obviously I'm interested in hearing thoughts from parents whose kids don't go to International schools)

If you and KB are saying that a valid reason not to live in Phuket with teenagers is because there is a good chance they will become unruly, disrespectful, drug taking, poorly educated young adults, then I think you are both wrong. I'm sure it's happened to lots of kids before, but to a lot of kids with good parents? I personally would guess not.

I don't know where you're from 'thailand' I'm guessing not England, but to say that all free education in the West is great is highly dubious. I've spent days and days before reading Ofsted reports and they are pretty depressing. For the best part they couldn't even begin to compete with a good International school in Thailand.

Your comment about a lack of culture in Thailand I find curious. Apart from the Thai culture of course my kids have me and regular trips to Europe so I don't see how they will miss out on anything there. The exact opposite in fact, having a mix of (what I deem) to be the best from both cultures can only be a benefit toward a more interesting, diverse life.

The replies so far have been interesting but I'm none the wiser. None of the things that have been raised are things that I believe are issues for me, and nobody has commented on any that are. Look forward to some more opinions.

These children go to a Thai school when they are young and are taught that Thailand and Thais are the best and that they were lucky to be born Thai.

Wasn't the question about expat kids?

I have twin girls who will both be starting university, in Thailand, this year. When they were young it became increasingly heart wrenching for me & them whenever I went away to work offshore so I gave up & devoted 2 years to being a full time dad which turned out to be the best two years of my life. The bond between us was strengthened & over the years I believe I have instilled some good values in them which I feel sure they will carry into the future. They both attended Thai schools, consistently made good grades & were always willing to join in the school activities outside the classroom. They both have their driving licences & make good use of their mother's car & I have continually stressed about the dangers of motorbikes. They occasionally meet friends to eat together, cruise the mall, take in a movie or a combination of all 3.

At one stage I considered taking them back to NZ to further their education but financial constraints put an end to that. I must admit there was a rocky patch a couple of years ago due to a combination of reasons some of which were due to hormonal changes & the teenage syndrome. When they were younger & I was earning good money offshore I did spoil them somewhat but in latter years they fully understood the need to be more frugal.

I am entirely happy with their development over the years & have no qualms about them continuing to live in Phuket although one of them is waiting to see if she will be admitted to a university in Bangkok. I could write volumes more but have to go to work.

Edited by Valentine
  • Like 1

HongKongPhooey, I also think this is a serious topic and worth discussing. After over six years here I love Phuket and it's advantages and I am aware of the dangers and negatives as well but I still prefer living here.

That children are likely to turn out like their parents in some regards is also valid but doesn't necessarily apply during puberty and doesn't need to apply to economic success either.

You say you know how to live your life and avoid the dangers and take advantage of the good sides of Phuket and that is what is important and you should actively make sure to spend enough time together with your child to enjoy the good sides and explain what is good and what is not, what people are good in your eyes and what people are not, what is dangerous and what is not and what the values are that Phuket can bring to your life.

Even more important is your relationship to your child. It will make the difference whether you face rebellious behavior and fights during puberty or retain respect and a trusting relationship where you can continue to give advice and it is an important time of their life to be able to receive advice on.

I could observe that many posters have brought up school as a factor and the reason is obvious.

Children often spend much more time in school than in their families. There the parents and the child don't have too much of a choice who their role models, teachers and friends will be. Especially on Phuket there will be many bad influences, children from broken families, very different cultural backgrounds, less serious teachers, young teachers with lack of life experience and wisdom, etc. It's a sure thing that this means trouble as one poster has confirmed. You can also not change classes or schools every time you have a problem with teachers or peers, most likely it will be the same in most places.

The problem is, you can hardly spend enough time with your children if they are in school most days until late afternoon, you can not keep them away from people who are a bad influence or have them develop the lifestyle you consider as achievable. Unless you have a big, loving family comprising of several generations with consistent values and morals this will be difficult, but it will be equally difficult in any other country or place in the world.

You would want to build a community and friendship with other families who you feel will be a good influence and socialize daily if possible, become neighbors even.

Consistently incorporate the good things the island has to offer, like sun, outdoors, beach, healthy foods, sports into your daily life and that of your children.

If you happen to also question the concept of school itself, homeschooling would be a way to have more influence on the development of your child, even hiring private tutors full-time will be cheaper than the fees many school businesses charge. Getting together with families that you get along with and organizing your education is an option to consider.

• Like 1

Think carefully, and ask yourself, "what is there to do here?" We have the beach, the beach and the beach. Nothing else.

Someone replied saying that their kids eat together, cruise the mall, take in a movie - that's hardly 'doing', it is just socialising.

Now, look a little beyond those teenage years. Exactly what kind of jobs / careers do you see them doing in Phuket, and at what salary? Then, consider the varied opportunities and choices you have in the 'west', the social benefits and salaries that could be earned.

This is a great place to bring up young kids, but when their education, awareness and development becomes more important than splashing around in the pool or beach, then you need to take them away from here.

• Like 1

Very nice thread, finally a different type of subject.

Once I stopped at a Phuket gasstation, and I saw an obviously farang male teenager hanging out with two clearly not the right type of Thai teenagers, and I overheard the three of them conversing in a low life type of Thai. I remember thinking that if I were the kid's dad, I would try to put him on a one way flight to Farangistan ASAP. But then, a teenager can fall in with the wrong crowd anywhere, parenting is never easy.

Think carefully, and ask yourself, "what is there to do here?" We have the beach, the beach and the beach. Nothing else.

If that is what you tell your children then I wouldn't be surprised if they get off the right track as teenagers and start to waste their time ...

I have twin girls who will both be starting university, in Thailand, this year. When they were young it became increasingly heart wrenching for me & them whenever I went away to work offshore so I gave up & devoted 2 years to being a full time dad which turned out to be the best two years of my life. The bond between us was strengthened & over the years I believe I have instilled some good values in them which I feel sure they will carry into the future. They both attended Thai schools, consistently made good grades & were always willing to join in the school activities outside the classroom. They both have their driving licences & make good use of their mother's car & I have continually stressed about the dangers of motorbikes. They occasionally meet friends to eat together, cruise the mall, take in a movie or a combination of all 3.

At one stage I considered taking them back to NZ to further their education but financial constraints put an end to that. I must admit there was a rocky patch a couple of years ago due to a combination of reasons some of which were due to hormonal changes & the teenage syndrome. When they were younger & I was earning good money offshore I did spoil them somewhat but in latter years they fully understood the need to be more frugal.

I am entirely happy with their development over the years & have no qualms about them continuing to live in Phuket although one of them is waiting to see if she will be admitted to a university in Bangkok. I could write volumes more but have to go to work.

Nice story 'Valentine'. You obviously did something right for them to turn out the way they have. Your sacrifice of giving up work to spend more time with them was hugely important I would guess. I wonder though if it was made easier by the fact you had girls. I wonder if raising boys would create more challenges what with boys being that bit more stupid and immature.

HongKongPhooey, I also think this is a serious topic and worth discussing. After over six years here I love Phuket and it's advantages and I am aware of the dangers and negatives as well but I still prefer living here.

That children are likely to turn out like their parents in some regards is also valid but doesn't necessarily apply during puberty and doesn't need to apply to economic success either.

You say you know how to live your life and avoid the dangers and take advantage of the good sides of Phuket and that is what is important and you should actively make sure to spend enough time together with your child to enjoy the good sides and explain what is good and what is not, what people are good in your eyes and what people are not, what is dangerous and what is not and what the values are that Phuket can bring to your life.

Even more important is your relationship to your child. It will make the difference whether you face rebellious behavior and fights during puberty or retain respect and a trusting relationship where you can continue to give advice and it is an important time of their life to be able to receive advice on.

I could observe that many posters have brought up school as a factor and the reason is obvious.

Children often spend much more time in school than in their families. There the parents and the child don't have too much of a choice who their role models, teachers and friends will be. Especially on Phuket there will be many bad influences, children from broken families, very different cultural backgrounds, less serious teachers, young teachers with lack of life experience and wisdom, etc. It's a sure thing that this means trouble as one poster has confirmed. You can also not change classes or schools every time you have a problem with teachers or peers, most likely it will be the same in most places.

The problem is, you can hardly spend enough time with your children if they are in school most days until late afternoon, you can not keep them away from people who are a bad influence or have them develop the lifestyle you consider as achievable. Unless you have a big, loving family comprising of several generations with consistent values and morals this will be difficult, but it will be equally difficult in any other country or place in the world.

You would want to build a community and friendship with other families who you feel will be a good influence and socialize daily if possible, become neighbors even.

Consistently incorporate the good things the island has to offer, like sun, outdoors, beach, healthy foods, sports into your daily life and that of your children.

If you happen to also question the concept of school itself, homeschooling would be a way to have more influence on the development of your child, even hiring private tutors full-time will be cheaper than the fees many school businesses charge. Getting together with families that you get along with and organizing your education is an option to consider.

Very insightful post and a lot to think about. It seems the peers have a lot to answer to in a lot of peoples minds. I can see a certain element of the local community being a bad influence if they were to get involved with them, but would other expat kids really be that bad? I don't like the idea of home schooling and think that could do more harm with social development than good.

I do think an International school is a must. 'Valentine' has proven that you can make it work with out them but I personally wouldn't want to take the risk.

Someone replied saying that their kids eat together, cruise the mall, take in a movie - that's hardly 'doing', it is just socialising.

Now, look a little beyond those teenage years. Exactly what kind of jobs / careers do you see them doing in Phuket, and at what salary? Then, consider the varied opportunities and choices you have in the 'west', the social benefits and salaries that could be earned.

This is a great place to bring up young kids, but when their education, awareness and development becomes more important than splashing around in the pool or beach, then you need to take them away from here.

Healthy hobbies and pass times are far more multiple here than they are in the average City in the West. What with the sea and the weather the list of sports and activities is endless.

The social side however and the being safely independent would be a concern.

as someone young, i will tell you. There is absolutely no where near 5% of the activities found in the west. This place only has the beaches going for it. Your brain does not learn much from beaches though. Also watersports are super expensive because of the mafia.

I have 2 secondary school Farang children going to an International School here in Phuket - firstly they seem to find plenty to do and have a social life with a mix of cultures. They are involved in as many activities as time and money permits. As parents we are strict and monitor where they are, and who with, as there are some children who have questionable ethics - just like anywhere in the world.

"Touch wood" our children will survive the next few years but I think the recipe for success here is be vigilant and make an effort to know the kids they socialize with as well as the parents of the children. When it comes to sleepovers/parties make sure they are supervised by adults but not the Nannies who let the children do anything to keep the peace.

If that is what you tell your children then I wouldn't be surprised if they get off the right track as teenagers and start to waste their time ...

There are loads of activities to do here and I strongly expect that the pressure to join the "gang" culture is far less here than say the UK or USA. What do teenagers have to do in the UK in the evenings?

One thing i think is for sure though is that the quality of secondary education/high school is a lot better in the west.

Healthy hobbies and pass times are far more multiple here than they are in the average City in the West. What with the sea and the weather the list of sports and activities is endless.

The social side however and the being safely independent would be a concern.

What is socially better about lets say the UK or the USA than here?

Obviously gangs are extremely sociable and easy to join in the UK and USA but not ideal for the teenagers.

Okay, tell us. What is there to do here for teenagers? Emphasis on the do - not just socialising around malls etc.

And, as for HKPhooey, the weather is the drawback here for sports and activities. People don't go out the house after 10am, then venture out again after 4.30pm - it's too hot for outdoor activities and pursuits. Unless you can show me a list of Thai gold medal winners and sporting achievements, compared to those in the normal expat countries, then you're talking rhubarb.

Edited by seaeagle

Thee are so many opportunities for different sports and outdoor activities to get into and enjoy year round. Swimming, surfing, running, cycling, tennis, triathlon, thai boxing, sailing, diving, snorkeling, target shooting, paintball, music, climbing, horse riding, art classes ... If it is too hot at noon, no problem to do outdoor activities in the afternoons.

A skate park was planned by several people so far, not sure if any project has been realized yet? That would be pretty good for Phuket because the bad streets are useless for skateboards and inline skating.

Another thing that is nice for teenagers was some kind of dancing, hip hop, break dance kind of thing, I think there is something like this, I have seen Thai kids practice dancing for performances in Central several times, I'm just not sure where the classes are held but with a bit of asking around it might be possible to find out.

Okay, tell us. What is there to do here for teenagers? Emphasis on the do - not just socialising around malls etc.

And, as for HKPhooey, the weather is the drawback here for sports and activities. People don't go out the house after 10am, then venture out again after 4.30pm - it's too hot for outdoor activities and pursuits. Unless you can show me a list of Thai gold medal winners and sporting achievements, compared to those in the normal expat countries, then you're talking rhubarb.

Olympic swimming pools numerous on the island, Triathlon every year, Iron man every year, Various football tournaments here every year (thailand international soccer 7's last year for example), various boating and sailing activities with or without fishing, paintball, arcades, car rallys, lots of honest jobs available for young people, lots of golf, great bicycle routes, emphasis on boy scouts in schools, flying schools, surfing, kite boarding, that thing where people jump off the cliffs and glide around, cinemas, book clubs, badminton, online gaming, cooking classes, language schools....what else do people do with their social life that you cant do here?