Importing A Range Rover Evoque

Hi

Would Like to buy a range rover evoque which costs only 1.3 million baht both in the US and Uk

Now the same Model Costs 4-5 million in many import companies here in bkk

Would it be cheaper to import or buy one here?

Which country is better to import from US or Uk? In us its abit cheaper with additional accessories

Are There any risks associated with custom department?

Would the many features such as navigation ,Park assist etc work here in bangkok?

Last is there any loophole to save you from taxes and duties?

Thanks,

I too really like the Evoque...

If you run a quick forum search you will see the many replies to those posters such as yourself asking about importing a car. All say it’s a no goer, although most are uninformed and are simply repeating what has been previously discussed on the forum (you are likely to get a lot of sarcastic replies by the way !)

IMO: Unless its a classic, I can't see how importing a car can be beneficial due to the taxes involved and associated 'rip-off' risk from the customs guys.

In all probability, once you have investigated the possibilities fully you will establish that importing a car is a no goer unless you know someone you can trust in the Customs Dept. who can follow the letter of the law and impose the correct duties.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle

This is the link to the Thai Customs dept. and refers to the taxes and duties payable when importing a car.

From this you should be able to work out theoretically what it would cost you….

BUT, The outstanding issue is What value will the customs place on the car.

(I’m selling my Range Rover by the way – PM for details if interested).

Seriously....can we stick a "I'm thinking of importing a car..." topic.

These nubes are getting tiring.

It should be pinned with the title:..."Don't even think about importing a car into Thailand !!!"...smile.png

It should be pinned with the title:..."Don't even think about importing a car into Thailand !!!"...smile.png

Yes please....

although if someone ever does figure out how to import of build a Cobra 427 replica for reasonable money...I would like to know...

The thing is: No one has tried it !!

After reading the customs website it appears that importing a car from the UK would / could save 30-40%.

When importing a car of 2000cc or less which is less than 220 HP (which the diesel Evoque is), then potentially there are savings as the taxed rates are tiered. On a car which retails locally at 4 million baht this means a potential saving of well over 1 million baht.

Thus while the questions of Can I import a Ferrari etc are daft due to the taxation, there are some cars which potentially fall within a cost effective import window... The Evoque is a perfect example.

The only outstanding issue is - Can Customs be trusted ?... Understandibly it appears no one is willing to find out.

The thing is: No one has tried it !!

After reading the customs website it appears that importing a car from the UK would / could save 30-40%.

When importing a car of 2000cc or less which is less than 220 HP (which the diesel Evoque is), then potentially there are savings as the taxed rates are tiered. On a car which retails locally at 4 million baht this means a potential saving of well over 1 million baht.

Thus while the questions of Can I import a Ferrari etc are daft due to the taxation, there are some cars which potentially fall within a cost effective import window... The Evoque is a perfect example.

The only outstanding issue is - Can Customs be trusted ?... Understandibly it appears no one is willing to find out.

I don't think that's an issue at all.The answer to that is written on the wall.

Perhaps the reason nobody is willing to find out is because Customs Dept is rated at the very top of the corruption league, most ex-pats in Thailand will have encountered corruption at some level and that will probably have been sufficient, nobody voluntary choses to experience it at the very top of the league tables where it must be dire.

What's reasonable?

For a good Thai legal Cobra 427 replica, I'd think 2-3million baht is where you'd have to start...but given the trouble and engine size, I am probably way under what it would take to make it happen.

Or a Porsche 550 Spider (ala James Dean's death ride).

It is (or at least was) perfectly possible to bring a car into Thailand, despite what keeps being repeated on this forum. i did it myself (from the UK) 3 years ago and i know of one other person who also did it before that. The issues are , its expensive and if you dont know what you are doing ,or dont have help, it can be risky.

I have also read some of the stories of people who had problems and in most cases it seems clear they had these problems because they didnt go into the whole thing carefuly enough and either, didnt follow the correct procedure or, they hugely underestimated the various charges .

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

I recall there was a poster here that did import an expensive German car ( M5 perhaps) that ended up getting it through after settling with customs their "fee" before shipping. I enquired if said poster would put me in touch with his customs guy and was told no, you need to find your own customs guy.

it is possible only if you know people in the customs department. Even that it is a big hassle as customs department will need to alter some documents and let your application slide through some loop hole.

I know a friends friend who does it often, but they will not tell others of their customs guy. These customs people can get in hot waters if they become too popular cool.png . Hence "find your own custom guy".

The discount is not as much as many think, it will cost roughly 30% less than the grey market prices here with correct papers.

You could get up to 40% of the grey market price if you declare the engine incorrectly, that would be a risky move.

Yes please....

although if someone ever does figure out how to import of build a Cobra 427 replica for reasonable money...I would like to know...

One piece at a time.

• 2 months later...

John 1, A bit of stupid reply of yours isn't it ? Do you really think I would be asking about getting the Sat Nav working here if I didn't own one ?

Appreciate anybody's input to my original question as to wether or not anybody has a "fix" to enable the sat nav to work here.

Please post a picture of your Evoque also does it take a SD card for navigaton.

John 1, A bit of stupid reply of yours isn't it ? Do you really think I would be asking about getting the Sat Nav working here if I didn't own one ?

Appreciate anybody's input to my original question as to wether or not anybody has a "fix" to enable the sat nav to work here.

Hi, Your Evoque Nav is HDD based and requires the correct mapping and coding in order to operate here. Don't listen to any suggestions about CD's, DVD's or SD cards etc. It is not an option for you. If your car has TV and a spare video input, you may be able to utilise one of the local aftermarket Sat Nav solutions, but they are way behind the factory system in terms of features and use. Land Rover do not sell enough volume to warrant the large expenditure with Navteq / ESRI Thailand to enable your Nav to operate in TH.

Jaguar, Porsche, Audi and VW are all in the same position here both Grey market and Official imports.

The only reason it is easy with BMW & MB Grey market vehicles is because some of the locally produced (CKD) models have Nav and those Manufacturers were comfortable making the investment because of the volume they sell.

It's not the answer you want I know. Lots of people have been working on this for some time.

Please post a picture of your Evoque also does it take a SD card for navigaton.

?? Really ??... how old are you ?

• Like 1

I wanted to import my Triumph Stag which I had owned for 25 years , having made enquiries with the help of a friend who was in with customs the estimated cost left me in severe shock, in the end I sold it as that was the only option left.