Let'S Get Dirty!

BigBikeBKK

Took the KLX to Bo Din on Saturday and had a blast.

416973_10151374347080710_508210709_23417722_849454980_n.jpg

I'm a total novice, need a lot of practice and am itching to get out there again!

Going to skip out of work early on Tuesday and meet a friend there in the afternoon around 2 or 3.

Here's a Google Maps Link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=13.886782,100.796598&ll=13.885318,100.799732&spn=0.008447,0.016512&num=1&t=h&z=17

Decimal GPS: 13.886782,100.796598

Lat 13° 53' 12.4152" Long 100° 47' 47.7528"

There are some floating restaurants on the reservoir too where we can get some food and beers.

See you!

Tony

Make sure your tyre pressure is around 14 psi even less in muddy conditions.

and knock that hand guard back down...lol

Wish i was there!

Thanks for the advice! I didn't carry any tools with me and tried but couldn't beat the handguard back in to place after my little wipe out, but I sorted it out once I got home :)

Bit stupid of me to not carry any tools... When I crashed the fuel line popped off the inline fuel filter and I didn't have any pliers with which to loosen the hose clip. (It's a heavy clip, not the kind you can pinch with your fingers.) I ended up pulling the clip off the line and the line only popped off a couple more times, pissing gas on my leg ;)

I was told I should drop the pressure way down for dirt but I was worried how the bike would handle on the road at such low pressures. Next time I will carry a small pump so that I can drop pressure at the dirt and then air up before riding home. I've never owned a bike with inner tubes! I'd better learn how to patch / replace them before I go anywhere remote. If you drop the pressure too far can the tire spin on the wheel?

Another clip from Bo Din- really FUN place!

Happy Trails!

Tony bikeday_smilie.gif

looking forward to some more action vids once you get to know the track. Where's the vid of you having a stack?!!! laugh.png

I heard there might be a place at the back of Pattaya (Chaiyapruek area), not sure if it is a dedicated off road track; anyone know about it?

Stay dirty!!

Edited by taichiplanet

looking forward to some more action vids once you get to know the track. Where's the vid of you having a stack?!!! laugh.png

I heard there might be a place at the back of Pattaya (Chaiyapruek area), not sure if it is a dedicated off road track; anyone know about it?

Stay dirty!!

Alas camera was not running when a went rolling in the mud. hit-the-fan.gif

Good reminder of this nice place for offroad, i totally forgot it. Thanks. I will take my Boxer there some day and do some slow turns. Should be possible if i avoid the deep holes and jumps and as long the place is dry. But i guess i will be slower than you. Have fun :)

Congrats on yet another bike, Khun Tony.

Throw some knobbies on your KTM and join us! Frank will be out on his KTM tomorrow. WOOT! laugh.png

Frank got his KTM already! Thought I saw an Enduro R in the shop last week, when I stopped by to collect my new helmet.

Congrats Tony. Looks like fun. A few years ago I did a day of touring outside Chaing Mai on a very powerful Honda CR300. Wicked fun. In an attempt to recreate the fun I later bought a used Lifan 175 for a song. Was a blast racing through the hills in Phuket, plus there are a couple crude dirt tracks within riding distance. But I quickly learned that to do it right you really need a full dirt bike like the Honda CR300 or similar . I was always wanting more power and maxing out the suspension. You really need something like this: http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/honda-crf-450-cc-year-2007-motocross-for-sale-145510.html Problem is motocross bikes are imported and thus are pretty expensive in th.

Tony, I predict your next bike will be a proper motocross bike once you reach the capabilities of the KLX250, which should be pretty soon. That, or you will go on one of your Frankenstien modification crusades with the Kawi. smile.png

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Throw some knobbies on your KTM and join us! Frank will be out on his KTM tomorrow. WOOT! laugh.png

Frank got his KTM already! Thought I saw an Enduro R in the shop last week, when I stopped by to collect my new helmet.

Fantastic afternoon tearing around Bo Din with Frank and his unstoppable KTM 690 Enduro R!

421020_10151385586160710_508210709_23464677_1345969553_n.jpg

Dinner and beers at the floating lakeside restaurant were a perfect end to a perfect day!

Happy Trails!

Tony

bikeday_smilie.gif

Bit stupid of me to not carry any tools... When I crashed the fuel line popped off the inline fuel filter and I didn't have any pliers with which to loosen the hose clip. (It's a heavy clip, not the kind you can pinch with your fingers.) I ended up pulling the clip off the line and the line only popped off a couple more times, pissing gas on my leg ;)

I was told I should drop the pressure way down for dirt but I was worried how the bike would handle on the road at such low pressures. Next time I will carry a small pump so that I can drop pressure at the dirt and then air up before riding home. I've never owned a bike with inner tubes! I'd better learn how to patch / replace them before I go anywhere remote. If you drop the pressure too far can the tire spin on the wheel?

Ugg the fuel line must be vulnerable to pop off, never had that in yrs and yrs, in fact as long as the tank/petcock has a good filter, (which often needs to be cleaned on a 2nd hand bike as they almost never have been) i dont use the in line filters anymore and not had carb blockage problems (yet)

They usually have rim locks to stop any spinning, I use heavy duty tubes so minimize the chance of punctures, hate punctures and having to fix them when out riding.

Never bothered upping the pressure when heading back home, sometimes 40+ks on rd didnt notice

to much but the bikes not used for anything other than playing in the dirt.

Getting an accurate low pressure gauge aint so easy !

Fantastic afternoon tearing around Bo Din with Frank and his unstoppable KTM 690 Enduro R!

421020_10151385586160710_508210709_23464677_1345969553_n.jpg

Dinner and beers at the floating lakeside restaurant were a perfect end to a perfect day!

Happy Trails!

Tony

bikeday_smilie.gif

Ah sorry wrong Frank.

Ugg the fuel line must be vulnerable to pop off, never had that in yrs and yrs, in fact as long as the tank/petcock has a good filter, (which often needs to be cleaned on a 2nd hand bike as they almost never have been) i dont use the in line filters anymore and not had carb blockage problems (yet)

They usually have rim locks to stop any spinning, I use heavy duty tubes so minimize the chance of punctures, hate punctures and having to fix them when out riding.

Never bothered upping the pressure when heading back home, sometimes 40+ks on rd didnt notice

to much but the bikes not used for anything other than playing in the dirt.

Getting an accurate low pressure gauge aint so easy !

This isn't a stock KLX250. It's got a 351 big bore kit and pumper carb and the fuel line wasn't fully seated onto the fuel filter which is why it came off.

Stock FI KLX has a fuel filter built into the fuel pump. Since this bike no longer has a fuel pump it makes sense to put a simple fuel filter in the fuel line.

Once home it was a piece of cake to put the clip on properly with some pliers. Again- stupid of me to go out on a new bike with no tools. Live and learn :)

I bought some extra inner tubes from Kawasaki but am told that they are not very strong and that I should source better quality tubes from abroad. What brand(s) do you recommend?

Stock KLX wheels do not have rim locks. I'm not sure if this is something that can be added or would I need different wheels? Does my bike create enough power that rim locks would even be needed?

I was lazy to up the pressure for the ride home yesterday and it was no big deal actually to ride ~35km home on really soft tires.

Brilliant fun! Looking forward to getting back out there again this weekend!

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony :)

Bbbkk

What tires are on your klx and how do you rate them for road and off road.

Thanks

They are IRC "Vulcanduro" tires.

I'm totally new to dirtbikes so can't compare them to or rate them against anything else...

The rear is looking pretty worn so I think I'll replace it with the stock Dunlop (dunno the model) as they're really cheap and in stock at all of the Kawasaki dealers.

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Tony, I predict your next bike will be a proper motocross bike once you reach the capabilities of the KLX250, which should be pretty soon. That, or you will go on one of your Frankenstien modification crusades with the Kawi. smile.png

Reading the Honda250 thread I see you already have begun!

Reading the Honda250 thread I see you already have begun!

Heh heh! Yeah! Well, I've been wanting to get a dirt bike for a while and was hoping to find a derestricted KLX with an aftermarket pipe but second hand KLX's are quite rare.

I wasn't keen to buy a new one for 152k Baht and then sink a lot of money into mods when I'm just going to beat the crap out of it, so when I came across this one on the GT-Rider forum it ticked all the boxes and then some!

web.jpg

351 Bill Blue Big Bore Kit

Skid plate.

Tail Tidy.

Pro Circuit Ti4 slip-on with cherry bomb/header pipe

Less than 7,000Km on the clock

Protaper bars

Acerbis handguards

What else could you ask for?

The ONLY mod I want to do is to add a larger aftermarket fuel tank. The stock tank holds only about 7 liters and with the 351 big bore kit she's a bit thirsty and my range is only about 100km on a tank.

Seems I have three choices:

Acerbis:

AcerbisTankKLX.jpg

Clarke-

ClarkeTankKLXa.jpg

IMS-

IMSTankKLX.jpg

They've all had good reviews and are all roughly the same price so I'm having a hard time to decide which one to get....

Anyone here have any recommendations or advice?

Cheers!

Tony

post-56035-0-24319600-1331862687_thumb.j

I'm looking forward to an epic tour in southern Laos in April! WOOT! dirtbike_smilie.gif

Did you get the message I sent you via TV?

Hi hi! Sorry! I just now noticed your message and have replied- thanks for the link to your fantastic Laos trip report on advrider! I'm only a couple pages in, but already hooked! Hope to meet you at Bo Din tomorrow! Happy Trails! Tony :)

Stay dirty!!

There is a small track at Bike Lane near the Elephant Village. However there are plenty of off road tracks around Pattaya and some really good single track in the hills over looking Maprachan lake, up the 331 and to the left. I recently discovered the joys of dirt bikes after 20 odd years only ever riding road bikes. Now counting down the days until I get home from work to buy a bike and get back out again.