How Much Money Am I Allowed To Bring In To Thailand?

ivan96822

No problem.

There is no limit anyway, only a need to declare it if it is over $10,000 or something. Also exiting your own country there are requirements for reporting if over a spcified amount, but not for $1,500.

Thanks for the quick reply.

No problem.

There is no limit anyway, only a need to declare it if it is over $10,000 or something. Also exiting your own country there are requirements for reporting if over a spcified amount, but not for $1,500.

Its actually $20,000 USD. Only the US and Australia (am sure there are some others though) use the $10,000 USD threshold anymore.

From the Thai govt website: Any person bringing into or taking out of Thailand foreign currency bank notes in an aggregate amount exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent must declare to a customs officer.

http://www.bot.or.th/English/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/ExchangeControlLaw.aspx

Regardless. $1,500 isn't an issue.

aahh Modern Banking methods can be a revelation. Gone are the days of leather pouches and pieces of eight....but some folk think visiting far flung foreign parts means carrying cash and it has to be the Dollar...ATM's abound in the LOS. Many are upright, bi-pedal and frequent the drinking dens of Pattaya...

kind of strange.thailand says $20,000 no problem.But the us say's ya can't take over $10,000 out of the us

You misunderstand. The US lets you take as much as you want out. The requirement is to declare when exiting with more than 10k. Once you declare it there is nothing stopping you from leaving with it.

• Like 1

aahh Modern Banking methods can be a revelation. Gone are the days of leather pouches and pieces of eight....but some folk think visiting far flung foreign parts means carrying cash and it has to be the Dollar...ATM's abound in the LOS. Many are upright, bi-pedal and frequent the drinking dens of Pattaya...

Cash is the still the best rate and the US Dollar is still the most widely accepted currency in the world.<Before you bash America notice I said most widely used not best Use to be 36 now it is 30> Modern banking is good at one thing taking a percentage of your money just for the privilege. If you do not use an Aeon atm you are getting buggered every way possible. Cash presents a certain amount of danger because of its liquidity and no recourse for theft.

The Op probably thinks that $1500 is a fortune in LOS, not these days my friend, those days are well over!!! You'll be luck to last 2 week IMO with hotels, travel food and beer. 45,000bt, maybe a week if you stay in decent hotels, 4*+ an deat decent food. Have a goodun my friend. Make the most of that £1500!

• Like 1

The Op probably thinks that $1500 is a fortune in LOS, not these days my friend, those days are well over!!! You'll be luck to last 2 week IMO with hotels, travel food and beer. 45,000bt, maybe a week if you stay in decent hotels, 4*+ an deat decent food. Have a goodun my friend. Make the most of that £1500!

$1500 for just spending....Putting a $30 US per day hotel on the credit card....Free breakfast buffet at the hotel....Chang beer from 7-11. I think I'll be fine. I came last year and spent very little. Thanks for your concern, but I don't need "decent" food. My budget will serve me well...I'm staying for one month and am making arrangements for the tourist visa to extend it beyond that.

As an indication of the value; 40,000 baht is the minimum requirement for family entry on a visa entry and could be requested to be seen on entry (although normally is not asked).

Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)