Store Bought Compost Ph 7.74

I haven't bought any compost for a few years now. Tried various bags from the vendors alongside the big road and they were all rubbish. Never checked the PH though.

Many had lumps of clay and not fully composted particles. I found bits of branches, sugar cane and river weeds in some bags.

Nowadays i always have at least 2 compost heaps on the go, so don't have to buy any more of that low quality stuff :)

I have two banks of three stage compost boxes (total 9 cubic metres) as well as worm beds. I use both types of compost to brew aerated teas and drenches.

The thing that has always tricked me is the store bought stuff is sold in plastic bags which allows the compost to turn anaerobic given time. Always check the date of packaging to make sure it is fresh. When you open the bag check the smell.

In the case of worm castings the product is stable and can be stored in a plastic bag. To me thermophillic compost should be used as soon as you see the insects in it not after it is fully decomposed.

Never let any compost dry out fully as not only will you lose most of the bacteria and fungus but it is difficult to rewet and you need to add a wetting agent.

I have just started using nano EM, rice bran and soybean meal to turn my pig manure compost into organic fertiliser. First ten bags ready to go into the new veggie patch and I am keen to brew some up.

Anyone wishing to try some real compost, send me a PM.

When I bougth a bag of Global House compost I tried to make tea too. Put about 3 kg in a cheesecloth bag, added 400g sugar and 8-10 gallons of water. Hookd up my trusty aerator (aquarium pump) and presto-- no bubbles indicating any microbial activity. Oh well-- it is a decent mulch. That's all.

When I bougth a bag of Global House compost I tried to make tea too. Put about 3 kg in a cheesecloth bag, added 400g sugar and 8-10 gallons of water. Hookd up my trusty aerator (aquarium pump) and presto-- no bubbles indicating any microbial activity. Oh well-- it is a decent mulch. That's all.

Don't be too quick here. Most of the bubbles that come from this sort of mix are actually methane or rotten egg gas. They are anaerobic gases, like farts, the bad guys. Go buy a bottle of molasses at the feed store not Villa (80 baht 5 litres) and a 1 litre pot of EM for 50 baht. Local store will have some form of bran get some of that, the cheapest they have. Now you have your "bacteria" and "fungus" and their food. Mix all that together in your tank and turn on the bubble machine.

Next comes the big question, what are you going to use this brew for? A soil drench, root growth promoter, or foliage feeder, or lots of other things?

Go back to the start. Is the compost bacteria or fungal dominant? That is, does the bag of compost you bought meet your needs?

I apology if I seem to be on my high horse here but this is something that I have spent years trying to firstly even understand, and secondly, control the outcome. When I make compost I push it one way or the other to suit my need, bacteria or fungus, or even both. The moisture content here is key. When I brew teas, the time it takes to grow a bacteria population is much shorter than that for fungus.

Isaan Aussie