Work Permit Restricted Occupations

according to thai law, the follow are restricted occupations, (even with a work permit):

-----------

Restricted Occupations

A Royal Decree in 1973 listed 39 occupations and professions that were then prohibited to aliens. This list has been amended on several occasions by subsequent Royal Decrees, the latest one in 1979.

Labour

Work in agriculture, animal breeding, forestry, fishery or general farm supervision

Masonry, carpentry, or other construction work

Wood carving

Driving motor vehicles or non-motorized carriers, except for piloting international aircraft

Shop attendant

*** list edited ***

Legal or litigation service

Clerical or secretarial work

Manual silk reeling and weaving

Thai character type-setting

Hawking business

Tourist guide or tour organization agency

Architectural work

Civil engineering work

-----------

I'm confused because i see farangs doing many of these jobs all the time including legal work and legal assistant! so what's up with this list? is it still valid but not enforced or is it out of date? any ideas anyone?

the reason i ask is if i have a work permit, does this mean i cannot legally work on my own house? (Masonry, carpentry, or other construction work).

Other than a couple of lawyers who were grandfathered you see advisors or some such but you do not see them practicing law. Same with others - they may head a firm doing construction but they do not act in the areas forbidden or they will be working illegally. They will have a work permit for a legal occupation.

You have no "house" so how can you be working on it?

By law you should not be doing the work - time to tell the wife to get busy. :o

You are probably right.

If you Do-It-Yourself you are probably breaking the law, but I doubt it will be

a problem. Just don't go building houses for other people or making furniture for sale. :o

Foreigners can be "consultants" for legal firms and construction sites,

but are not allowed to do the nitty gritty

like laying bricks or appearing in court.

Xenophobia rules, in Thailand.

And this one takes the cake IMO

Restricted Professions for foreigners

There are certain restricted professions and occupations for which the Labor Department is prohibited from issuing a work permit to foreign nationals. Under Royal Decree B.E. 2522 (1979), an alien is unable to obtain a permit to work in the following occupations:

33. manual cigarette rolling

Just spotted that one after the ciggies went up and I went out and brought some "roll your own" (which are quite nice and cheap :D )

Lucky for me, Mrs Daddy normally has a couple of free hours a day :o